PDA

View Full Version : Aosr water tower construction (timber framing)

harry strasil
01-09-2011, 5:48 PM
I thought some of you Neanders might enjoy these pictures of the Age Of Steam Roundhouse 50K gal Water Tower Build.

http://www.ageofsteamroundhouse.com/Album_24.html

Scott T Smith
01-09-2011, 6:02 PM
Harry, that is very cool. I'm a member of a working railroad museum, and building a water tower for our steam engine is on our long term agenda. This link will provide us with some great ideas.

Thanks for sharing.

Scott

Jim Koepke
01-09-2011, 8:02 PM
Thanks for sharing Harry.

Takes me back to when a friend of mine worked for the A.T.& S.F. back in the 1950s. That was at the end of the age of steam. They did still have the roundhouse in the yard. His dad was a pipe fitter and every once in a while, he could bring us into the place where he worked.

jtk

harry strasil
01-09-2011, 8:23 PM
For those of you of a certain age like Jim and myself who cherish memories and sounds from the past, and who are familiar with the terms, DOUBLE HEADER and STACK TALK, and who just love the memories of those Long Moarnful sounds of crossings. This will bring back Memories.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXJ9eKwYSpU&feature=email

john brenton
01-10-2011, 3:20 PM
What was that? The "Big Gnarly Beard Timber Framing Company"?

When I saw the pic of the auger by itself I was hoping they were using a brace...but alas, the wrist destroying Milwaukee hole hawg was powering it.

I have a heavy duty old Stanley brace that belonged to a timber framer....I LOVE that thing. I think this model was popular with lineman too. You just can't compare it to the slender braces that are most common.

I thought some of you Neanders might enjoy these pictures of the Age Of Steam Roundhouse 50K gal Water Tower Build.

http://www.ageofsteamroundhouse.com/Album_24.html

harry strasil
01-10-2011, 7:41 PM
John, I guess you missed the "Who's building the Water Tower " Credits, Heavy Timber Contractor
Amish Timber Framers - Doylestown, OH

harry strasil
01-10-2011, 8:00 PM
For those interested, if you click on the "Construction Photos" in the first Album about the Tower Support Construction, there are several more ALBUMS pertaining to the Roof Trusses and such. I sure am glad they are sticking to using the technology of the Time in Constructing the Timber Portions of the Roundhouse, I would dearly love to have been able to help with some of the actual cutting of the many Mortice and Tenon Joints, but do to my present health problems I more than likely could not have taken a full days worth of that kind of work. And I could have furnished my own Tools, just like the Old Timers of that Era would have. I just love to see pictures of that type of work on that Grand Scale still being done.

Jr.

john brenton
01-11-2011, 10:29 AM
That explains the burly beards, but I thought the Amish didn't use power tools.

John, I guess you missed the "Who's building the Water Tower " Credits, Heavy Timber Contractor
Amish Timber Framers - Doylestown, OH

harry strasil
01-11-2011, 12:39 PM
John you should visit an Amish Cabinet shop sometime. Granted they usually discard the elec motors and repower with Air Motors and on the larger tools. Thickness planer, tablesaws etc they usually use small gas engines or a line shaft powered by a Deutz Air Cooled Diesel.

Also there are different degrees (sects) of Amish, with different views and taboos. I have several Amish friends (blacksmiths and woodworkers), and I do not know all the Amish Customs. But the older stricter sects don't believe in rubber tires and electricity. there are also Dunkers that dress Amish, but drive vehicles, and the most modernized ones are known as Mennonites.

I don't know if they are Amish related, but there are Luddites, those who don't use any thing modern.

There are also some who dress old, but otherwise use modern ways and some even believe in modern medicines.

I am no authority, but there are many different religions in the world.

At a Blacksmith Convention years ago, we went out to a Hutterite farm, they are self sustaining, use modern earth moving and farming machinery, dress no different than we do except for the women, but even tho they live in individual houses in a commune setting, they have no kitchens in their homes, eating as a group, with the women on one side of the room, the men on the other and the children all together in another place. They speak low german everyday, but high german in their church.

Back to the Amish, the mens facial hair denotes whether they are married or not.

And in their day jobs, the Amish use what is provided, Amish workers build Coachman Motor Homes and travel trailers, any way they did.

john brenton
01-11-2011, 1:07 PM
I am no authority, but there are many different religions in the world.

For sure. I think there is a sect of Mennonites that can own vehicles, but they have to be black.

I would love to visit an Amish shop. I have a book about it, although it really doesn't get into joinery, but more history. I've been to an Amish farm up in Pennsylvania where my family comes from...the best damn chocolate milk you've ever had in your life.

Here in the South there are a lot of traditional Mennonite and boy can they cook. They do fried chicken and butter beans better than the "brothas"....and that's saying a lot!!