PDA

View Full Version : Delta 43-495X Wood Shaper advise needed

Bob Pettit
01-09-2011, 5:39 PM
Considering buying a Delta 43-495X. How much do these go for used, how much do cutters cost and how do they compare to similar shapers?

Tom Welch
01-11-2011, 7:29 AM
Bob, I have the earler verson of the 43-495X (looks just like it) the one made in the USA. I also have another earler Delta and a Powermatic shaper. I really like it, although, I only use it to cut the stick profile on door (cabinet) stiles and rails. Right now is a good time to buy a used shaper, with so many small cabinet shops going under due to the bad economy in the house building trades. I see Delta shapers going from around $550 to $1000 around here on Craigs List. Usually you can pick up one for around $700. (sometimes with a supply of cutters) The one big thing is horsepower. The more you have the bigger shaper cutters you can turn. If you plan to have only one shaper, then look at a 5 hp (more is even better) Also try to get one with a 1 1/4 spindle. Research shapers, for there is a lot of info from the guys here, who have forgotten more than I know. Hope this helps.177510

Bill Orbine
01-11-2011, 8:51 AM
Bob, I have the earler verson of the 43-495X (looks just like it) the one made in the USA. I also have another earler Delta and a Powermatic shaper. I really like it, although, I only use it to cut the stick profile on door (cabinet) stiles and rails. Right now is a good time to buy a used shaper, with so many small cabinet shops going under due to the bad economy in the house building trades. I see Delta shapers going from around $550 to $1000 around here on Craigs List. Usually you can pick up one for around $700. (sometimes with a supply of cutters) The one big thing is horsepower. The more you have the bigger shaper cutters you can turn. If you plan to have only one shaper, then look at a 5 hp (more is even better) Also try to get one with a 1 1/4 spindle. Research shapers, for there is a lot of info from the guys here, who have forgotten more than I know. Hope this helps.177510

Just curious..... of the three shapers, which is your favorite (I know you're specializing the machines)? I really like that Powermatic much better than the middle (both of which I have) but I don't know much about the X shaper on the left.

Mike Heidrick
01-11-2011, 8:58 AM
I sold a mint Delta 43-460 that had a Delta supplied 5hp WEG single phase motor and the LVC that had the correct single phase heaters, I had installed a 220V single phase outlet for a feeder, and had the 3/4" and 1 1/4" spindles flor $1400 last April. YMMV.

Bob, consider a used scmi or other euro shaper too if you can find one. You will get more table area, more mass with MUCH LESS vibration, possibly a much better fence (the 43-800 is great for a low cost import shaper fence though!) that has precision fence movement and maybe safety bars for better stock support while feeding, maybe nicer read outs for spindle height and adjustability, maybe a tilting spindle, etc. May cost you double a used Delta but they sure are nice machines to use.

Stephen Cherry
01-11-2011, 9:10 AM
I've got two older delta HD shapers, and they are fine for a 3/4 inch spindle. I paid less than nothing (2 for 300). Much, much better than any router in terms of mass/rigidity. Great for light cuts.

As Tom stated, if you can have only one, you may want to consider 5+ hp, 1 1/4 inch spindle. This is the common industrial size, and you will not likely be limited by the machine. I've also got a SCMI t110, which is a great machine. Much heavier duty than the delta, but not a super heavy duty t130. It can turn some serious cutters. For cutters, first check fleabay, I buy from Oella saw, near where I live.

What area are you in? I am always looking everywhere for machines, and if I see something, I could PM you about it.

Tom Welch
01-11-2011, 10:54 AM
Bill, I like the powermatic best or the 3 I have, due to the more HP and the 1 1/4 spindle. Also the digital spindal read out is so sweet. There is so much other value -added features that make that powermatic fun to work with.
I agree with Mike, if you can find a used SCMI (with the proper phase mtr that you want) jump on it. Those are the bees knees.

If you need cutters (new or used) Oella saw is hard to beat. I have bough a bunch of reconditioned cutters from them. They are super guys to deal with. They also have put together shim kits for me (both 3/4 and 1 1/4) that have saved my rear many times. Those gusy know their business. Like Stephen said they are also on E-bay.