PDA

View Full Version : Something a little out of the ordinary

Matt Newton
01-09-2011, 5:33 PM
A friend of mine teaches hunter safety classses and wanted a mock up of a bullet. Of course I said I would give it a try. The blank was made of glued up poplar. I used a 9mm bullet for the model. The second set of pics is a cherry burl with brass shavings used to fill the voids. Got the shavings from the local hardware store. Thanks for looking.

John Keeton
01-09-2011, 6:02 PM
Matt, nice work on both!! Beautiful piece of cherry burl, and a nice form to show the rustic wood. Good work on the cartridge, too.

David Reed
01-09-2011, 6:09 PM
Like the burl especially and the brass adds a nice touch. When I tried that, the color was muddy - brass colored for sure, but no sparkle at all and looked pretty bad. What did you use to suspend it in? I tried clear epoxy and CA gel.
Maybe a little brass on the casing for authenticity? Biggest 'nine' I have ever seen. One could also get some other ideas but I won't go there.

Steve Schlumpf
01-09-2011, 10:25 PM
Your friend will enjoy using your 9 mm teaching aid! Looks very close to scale!

Really like the bowl! Beautiful wood, nice use of the brass shavings and I particularly like the soft look of the form you created by not using any hard/sharp edges! Nice work!

Roland Martin
01-10-2011, 6:58 AM
That's a very nice cherry burl and a job well done. The bullet also came out great.

Matt Newton
01-10-2011, 7:18 AM
Thanks to all. I used thin CA to glue the brass. On the side not photographed I had tried mixing the brass with 5 min epoxy. Those holes ended up with a milky appearance. I think I'll stick with the CA. The bullet has not been finished since my friend wanted to do that himself.

Bernie Weishapl
01-10-2011, 12:08 PM
Really nice bowl and I am sure he will enjoy using the bullet for a teaching aid. Well done on both.