PDA

View Full Version : 62" blade for (3) wheel BS's

Mac McQuinn
01-09-2011, 3:58 PM
I purchased an early 50's three wheeled Craftsman 12" Band saw and wondered if there's any quality 62" long x 1/4" or 3/16" wide blades available. Any specific requirements for 3 wheel saws in a blade?

thanks,
Mac

Van Huskey
01-09-2011, 8:20 PM
You want a relatively narrow blade I wouldn't go wider than 1/4", you don't want the blade backer to be thicker than .025". Any industrial supply house will weld to spec. I always say if you buy a bandsaw blade pre-packaged you paid too much. There are plenty of online places to buy bandsaw blades, I use spectrumsupply.com .

Bobby Knourek
01-10-2011, 9:28 AM
9.00 each
www.woodworkerstoolworks.com (http://www.woodworkerstoolworks.com)
and they ship same day.

Mac McQuinn
01-10-2011, 10:18 AM
Bobby,
Sounds good although I don't see the blades on their site....Is this a call item only?
Thanks,
Mac

steven c newman
01-10-2011, 11:53 AM
When I need a new blade for my three-wheeler (69"), I just go to Menards. Olson Blades I think is the name on the blister-pack. $8-9 a piece. IF you have a Menards store nearby, check them out.

Mac McQuinn
01-10-2011, 12:45 PM
Steven,
Thanks for the tip, I have one nearby. I'll check this afternoon.
I checked HD w/o luck.

Mac

Bobby Knourek
01-10-2011, 1:11 PM
I dont think the Bandsaw Blades will be posted, probably will be a phone order item only.

steven c newman
01-10-2011, 3:14 PM
It will be sized as 61-7/8" or similar size. When I had a small B&D bandsaw, I had to look for a blade about an 1/8" shorter. Just the way those blades are.

Mac McQuinn
01-10-2011, 3:51 PM
Steven,
My local Menards did not have anything close and wanted to order me one @ "around $27.00" each.......

I discovered a industrial supply nearby that makes up blades, I gave them a call and they will make up a 62"x1/4"x.25 blade for $5.20 each. At that price, I'm going to give them a try. Picking up (2) tomorrow AM.

Mac

Mac McQuinn
01-10-2011, 4:00 PM
Bobby,
Thanks, although i found a local supplier who makes them up at decent price.

Mac

Van Huskey
01-10-2011, 7:04 PM
Steven,
My local Menards did not have anything close and wanted to order me one @ "around $27.00" each.......

I discovered a industrial supply nearby that makes up blades, I gave them a call and they will make up a 62"x1/4"x.25 blade for $5.20 each. At that price, I'm going to give them a try. Picking up (2) tomorrow AM.

Mac

I will bet you money that they will be better band stock than most anything you get pre-packaged especially at a BORG. They sell that same band stock to companies that use them to make money everyday. The biggest thing to watch when buying bands from a new supplier is the weld, some places are just better at it than others. Second I would ask them who makes their bandstock since it is nice to be able to look at the manufacturers site to see what the exact specs are on a blade. My local place carries Lenox.

Mac McQuinn
01-10-2011, 7:58 PM
You're probably right Van, I hope so. The only real choice I had was 62" x 1/4" x .025, 4 or 6 teeth, I went with the 6. I'll ask them more tomorrow about bandstock supplier. I'm going to check the welds out carefully.
Mac

I will bet you money that they will be better band stock than most anything you get pre-packaged especially at a BORG. They sell that same band stock to companies that use them to make money everyday. The biggest thing to watch when buying bands from a new supplier is the weld, some places are just better at it than others. Second I would ask them who makes their bandstock since it is nice to be able to look at the manufacturers site to see what the exact specs are on a blade. My local place carries Lenox.

Mac McQuinn
01-11-2011, 3:20 PM
I picked up the blades today from Iwen Supply in Bridgeport, Michigan. Very nice people to deal with. The cost was $5.20 each and the welds which are guaranteed were very clean and as smooth as rest of blade material. I'll give one a try soon(waiting for some other parts for saw tune-up) & report. Guy at Iwen said the blade material comes from "Simons".

Mac