PDA

View Full Version : Bowl for some Scottish friends

Kieran Kammerer
01-09-2011, 3:37 PM
My daughter returns to Scotland this week. I figured what better gift for her boyfriend's parents then a bowl from some New England wood. Most people give my daughter a puzzled look when she tells them she is from Maine. Either she has to say "you know Cabot Cove, Murder She Wrote" or just says Boston and doesen't even mention Maine! Bowl finish turned this AM, Birch, finished with Watco, 7.5 x 2.5 H

David E Keller
01-09-2011, 3:44 PM
A nice looking bowl and a wonderful gesture... Maybe they'll send you some of their bog oak in return.

Kieran Kammerer
01-09-2011, 3:54 PM
Or at least some haggis and a good ale!

Jim Burr
01-09-2011, 3:57 PM
Great looking bowl Kieran. Again, I really like the finish, the wood really stands out...worth a bottle of Glenfidich!

David E Keller
01-09-2011, 4:09 PM
Or at least some haggis and a good ale!

I'd double down on the ale and pass on the haggis!

Baxter Smith
01-09-2011, 4:28 PM
I don't know what haggis is but I do like the bowl and I am sure they will as well. The burn lines are a nice touch on this piece!

Kieran Kammerer
01-09-2011, 5:46 PM
From Wikipedia: Haggis is a dish containing sheep's 'pluck' (heart, liver and lungs), minced with onion, oatmeal, suet, spices, and salt, mixed with stock, and traditionally simmered in the animal's stomach for approximately three hours. Most modern commercial haggis is prepared in a casing rather than an actual stomach.

Usually served with "neeps and tatties" (turnips and potatoes)

Joe Little
01-09-2011, 5:51 PM
beautiful, very nice gift.

John Keeton
01-09-2011, 5:58 PM
Excellent work on the bowl, Kieran - and, you can have my serving of haggis!!!

Steve Schlumpf
01-09-2011, 10:21 PM
Very nice bowl Kieran! Really like the simple/open form and the detail lines provide just enough of an accent to draw attention to the rim of the bowl! I am sure the recipients will thoroughly enjoy the bowl!

Baxter Smith
01-09-2011, 11:18 PM
From Wikipedia: Haggis is a dish containing sheep's 'pluck' (heart, liver and lungs), minced with onion, oatmeal, suet, spices, and salt, mixed with stock, and traditionally simmered in the animal's stomach for approximately three hours. Most modern commercial haggis is prepared in a casing rather than an actual stomach.

Usually served with "neeps and tatties" (turnips and potatoes)

Thanks Kieran. Learn a little bit of everything here!

bob svoboda
01-10-2011, 9:07 AM
Very nice bowl and I'm sure it will be appreciated. BTW-not enough ale in the British Isles to get me to eat haggis!

Roland Martin
01-10-2011, 10:42 AM
That's a very nice bowl and a fine gesture, sure it will be well recieved. (Not quite sure I needed info on the haggis though:D)

Bernie Weishapl
01-10-2011, 11:26 AM
Really nice bowl and I am sure they will love it.

Stephan Larson
01-11-2011, 5:44 PM
Kieran,
Me I'd rather go for the dumplin or the scones or maybe a little welsh rabit and maybe a single malt to top it off. My "MUM" come off the boat from Scotland so all of those meals where a staple. We still celebrate New Years at 6:00 up in Wisconsin since that's when midnite hits in Scotland and of course the party cont. until midnite central time LOL. My uncle even "plays the pipes", (bagpipes).

Roger Chandler
01-11-2011, 5:47 PM
Nice bowl!!! NO haggis for me!!!! :eek::eek::D

Bill Hensley
01-11-2011, 6:05 PM
Nice bowl, certainly worth swapping for a nice single malt.

Kieran Kammerer
01-11-2011, 6:46 PM
That sounds good Stephen. My mother is actually from Ireland so I along with my two daughters were able to get dual citizenship. I was able to get to Scotland once, however, have never made it to the motherland. I anticipate my daughter will be putting down roots in Scotland so I do look forward to frequent visits! Kieran

Roger Wilson
01-12-2011, 2:25 PM
f your Scottish friends don't know their geography, print out and carry the following map. Size it to be the size of a credit card and it can be carried in a wallet:

Kieran Kammerer
01-12-2011, 7:21 PM
Thanks Roger