PDA

View Full Version : Homemade Cole jaws

philip labre
01-09-2011, 3:09 PM
Put together a set of Cole jaws for my VM120 chuck. Used 1/2" aluminum plate i got free and door stop tips with 1/4x20 cap screws. I think I'll get a set of laboratory corks for longer hold downs. Now I need to turn something to use them.

Bill Hensley
01-09-2011, 3:24 PM
Excellent! Please don't tell us you only used a hacksaw and a hand drill. I just couldn't take it.

Mike Stephens
01-09-2011, 3:25 PM
Great job Philip. Did you machine the back of them to fit the chuck or are they just bolted on?

philip labre
01-09-2011, 3:54 PM
Great job Philip. Did you machine the back of them to fit the chuck or are they just bolted on?
They are just bolted on. All I had was a jigsaw and drill press, so no milling here.

David E Keller
01-09-2011, 4:17 PM
Will you be taking orders for these? That looks great.

Baxter Smith
01-09-2011, 4:30 PM
Impressive work. Very nice!

Christopher K. Hartley
01-09-2011, 4:35 PM
Im impressed, very nice work.:)

Steve Schlumpf
01-09-2011, 7:44 PM
Wow! Nice work Philip! Look a heck of a lot better than the ones I bought!

Steve Vaughan
01-09-2011, 7:54 PM
Man, I like them!

Faust M. Ruggiero
01-09-2011, 8:16 PM
The diverse talent we see in this forum is amazing. Great set of cole jaws. Looks professional.
faust

Rich Aldrich
01-09-2011, 9:50 PM
Philip - Nice work. Hard to believe one can use a jig saw to make those nice cuts, but some of the saws and blades today really can make a nice cut with the right operator.

Rick Markham
01-09-2011, 9:53 PM
Man, those are some pretty cole jaws. You did a fantastic job on them. A jigsaw and drill press... you did a great job on them. You should teach NOVA how to make cole jaws... the ones I have are pretty shoddy! Those are great Philip! Wanna come over and help me build handplanes?:o

Roland Martin
01-09-2011, 10:24 PM
You are quite talented, Philip! Very good looking cole jaws, you'd be hard pressed to find anything better than that anywhere! Thanks for inspiring me to spend more money:eek:, I may have to start keeping my eye out for aluminum:) Very nice work and thanks for posting.

Dick Mahany
01-09-2011, 10:44 PM
Philip,
Great Job !! The jaws are very well done and should be an excellent way to hold your work. Now, let's see 'em in action !

Regards,

Michael James
01-09-2011, 10:46 PM
Beautiful work on those!

Keith Westfall
01-09-2011, 10:49 PM
Good looking jaws!! Would be nice to see the back just in case one gets to thinking he could do the same... :cool:

philip labre
01-09-2011, 11:31 PM
Philip - Nice work. Hard to believe one can use a jig saw to make those nice cuts, but some of the saws and blades today really can make a nice cut with the right operator.
Rich, once i had the jaws mounted i used my homemade carbide insert tool to true up the outside and scribe the size rings. I did use my bandsaw with an old 4 hook blade to cut the circle in quarters, which worked excellent but I couldn't use it for the circle because the guy I got the plate from wanted as much back as possible and the piece was too big.

philip labre
01-09-2011, 11:37 PM
Man, those are some pretty cole jaws. You did a fantastic job on them. A jigsaw and drill press... you did a great job on them. You should teach NOVA how to make cole jaws... the ones I have are pretty shoddy! Those are great Philip! Wanna come over and help me build handplanes?:o
Thanks Rick. i can't go that far south or I may melt and I should be making landing nets instead of playing with the lathe, but the inventory rack is full so I have an excuse.

philip labre
01-09-2011, 11:40 PM
Good looking jaws!! Would be nice to see the back just in case one gets to thinking he could do the same... :cool:
Thanks Kieth, The backs are just flat because they sit tight on the Vicmarc surfaces with the screws holding them in place.

John Keeton
01-10-2011, 6:25 AM
Philip, kind of late to post on this - not sure how I missed it!! Excellent work on these as many have noted, and much better than you could have purchased. These will come in handy, and you will certainly find a use for the longer posts - that was one of the first things I did for mine. You can also use poly tubing for cushion if you can find the right thickness. Some hardware and auto supply shops carry it.

Tim Thiebaut
01-10-2011, 6:45 AM
You did an amazing job on this, the quality of workmanship is outstanding, good job!

Bill Bolen
01-10-2011, 12:02 PM
gotta agree with Faust, the talent found here just boggles the mind! You sure proved the old saying "where there is a will there is a way". Very professional job. Congrats on a fine "homemade" tool. I know you will enjoy using yours more than you ever would using a commercial tool...Bill..

Bernie Weishapl
01-10-2011, 12:07 PM
Really nice work on those. Especially with a jig saw and drill press.

Rob Cunningham
01-10-2011, 12:41 PM
Beautiful workmanship.

Kieran Kammerer
01-10-2011, 8:27 PM
Very nice work. I agree, I am amazed at the variety of talents on this site.

Peter Fabricius
01-10-2011, 8:38 PM
Philip;
Those are fantastic. Nicely done. One suggestion to make them a little safer. Round off the outside corners of each quarter piece so if your hands get a little too close the jaws will bump you and not take a piece of meat off.
If you look at the Oneway jumbo jaws you will see what I mean.
Peter F.

Gary Conklin
08-20-2011, 9:00 PM
Resurrecting an old thread here. Phillip I am just curious if you did any kind of treatment to the internal cut edges, sanding, round over etc.?

philip labre
08-20-2011, 9:43 PM
Gary, I made the inside cuts on my band saw and lightly touched them on the belt sander to knock down any high spots and rolled the edges lightly. I didn't feel the internal cuts needed to fit that closely because you won't close them tight to hold a bowl. Hope this helps.