PDA

View Full Version : Return to turning C&C encouraged.

Gary Conklin
01-09-2011, 3:08 PM
Well after a 7 month hiatus, from turning, I have gotten back into the shop some. Here are two recent pieces. C_&C Encouraged.

Maple, pretty plain and I found a small crack as I turned, but with limited time I figured I would turn it anyway. Took the opportunity to focus on technique, and finish prep.
9"x 2.5" sanded to 320, and 1 coat of AO:
http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/data/1676/P1020097.JPG
http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/data/1676/P1020101.JPG

This one is some heavily spalted QSRO, the wood was a bit brittle, but some wood hardener squared that away. Worth saving due to the rays and flecking. I had a hard time getting these to photograph well, but they are in a bowl pattern on the inside bottom. 7" x 2.5" finished to 320 and mineral oil.

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/data/1676/P1020107.JPG
http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/data/1676/P1020104.JPG

Bill Hensley
01-09-2011, 3:27 PM
Love the shape of the maple one. It took me awhile to get comfortable turning oak, but still not crazy about it. Nicely done.

David E Keller
01-09-2011, 3:33 PM
Welcome back to turning. I prefer the maple form... The oak seems a little bottom heavy visually, and I like the rim treatment on the maple form as well. Doesn't look like you rusted too much in your hiatus from the lathe.

Jim Burr
01-09-2011, 4:08 PM
I love that maple Gary...really well done. IMHO...the base on the Oak seems a little wide...but I really like the radius from the foot to the bowl and the finish really adds to the grain. Classy touch!

Curt Fuller
01-09-2011, 4:19 PM
Both are really great bowls. I like the form of the maple bowl but because I'm partial to heavy sided bowl I think the spalted oak is my favorite.

Christopher K. Hartley
01-09-2011, 4:32 PM
Well Gary, I looked at your bowls and...are you sure you've been gone? Beautiful work. Both are grea,t but I too am partial to the spalted oak.:)

Baxter Smith
01-09-2011, 4:36 PM
Nice bowls. I like the delicate/smaller bottomed maple andthe heavier look goes well with the oak.

Gary Conklin
01-09-2011, 5:10 PM
Thanks all. The Maple is much thinner than the rim makes it appear, there is a quick taper after the rim to a consistent 1/8". The Oak is thicker and heavier, but it feels good in the hand. It always amazes me at how light a thin turned bowl is, the Maple feels like air in the hands, and the soft finish and smoothness of the wood really add to that feeling. I am personally pleased with the way they both turned out, just took longer than I remember.

John Keeton
01-09-2011, 5:18 PM
...just took longer than I remember.Gary, the answer to that is not to wait 7 months to turn the next one!!! Nice work on both, but I do agree with the others on the form of the maple. However, the oak sure has some beautiful grain and color - lot of character!

Don Alexander
01-09-2011, 5:46 PM
really nice , Gary,

i like the form of the maple bowl better but the look of the wood on the oak bowl

while there is nothing at all wrong with either i think the the maple form works better because the side flows into the foot rather than the more abrupt curve on the oak bowl having said that given a choice between the 2 i really like the oak and the shape is not bad at all

hope you don't have to wait 7 months to turn some more you still have the touch it would appear :)

Steve Schlumpf
01-09-2011, 10:15 PM
Gary - glad to see you finally found some turning time! Looks like you made the most of it! I really like both bowls but for different reasons. Maple bowl because of the light and open form and the Oak bowl because of the outstanding wood!

Hope you find lots more turning time! I enjoyed looking at both of these!

Gary Conklin
01-11-2011, 9:12 AM
Gary, the answer to that is not to wait 7 months to turn the next one!!!!

John, seeing as how there are no more children in the plans, that might just be doable!:p

charlie knighton
01-11-2011, 9:22 AM
very nice.....

Lee Koepke
01-11-2011, 9:43 AM
I like both bowls. The shape / form of the maple fits with its character. The oak bowl has some outstanding grain and feels 'heftier'. It may work better without a foot at all. It just visually feels like a solid chunk that says I can stand on my own ... no pedestal .... just a thought.

Bernie Weishapl
01-11-2011, 10:49 AM
Really nice bowls Gary. I like the maple but the oak is really nice.

Thom Sturgill
01-11-2011, 11:36 AM
Both are nice. I generally don't like oak for the opposite of Kurt's reason, I don't particularly like heavy bowls and oak seems to want heavy sides. That said I do like the looks of this bowl, but prefer the maple.