PDA

View Full Version : Bottle Stopper finish

tom martin
01-09-2011, 12:52 PM
Hi,
I've been using thinned lacquer on my bottle stoppers applied on the lathe buffed and waxed with carnuba wax. I like the looks of my stoppers and my customers seem to also.
Today i got a message from a customer asking me what she could do to bring back the gloss.
She said she has been using it and washing it afterwords. She asked if she could put oil or polish on it .
I'm not sure what she used to wash it and I'm not sure what oil will do to a lacquer finish.
So my questions are
1.What do you use for a finish on bottle stoppers-
2.Will oil or polish hurt a lacquer finish?

I plan on retrieving the stoppers so I can see how bad they are and offer her a free refinish. I am trying wipe on poly on a couple of stoppers in my shop now to see how they come out.
Any thought or suggestions would be appreciated,
Thanks,
Tom

Steve Schlumpf
01-09-2011, 1:10 PM
Tom - just my opinion but I believe the fault is with the carnuba wax - not the lacquer. Carnuba shows water spots, fingerprints, etc and if your customer washed the stopper - it will get dull in a second! Try using Renaissance wax or some cheaper version of a microcrystaline wax and you shouldn't have that problem any more.

Also, with a good lacquer finish - you shouldn't need a wax at all.

Steve Mawson
01-09-2011, 1:11 PM
I believe wipe on poly would be a better finish for bottle stoppers, should be harder. Oil from hands will soften lacquer however the washing probably did not help. Wax over lacquer will not hurt it from my experience and should bring back some of the shine. Ren wax might be best as it does not show finger prints.

Lee Koepke
01-09-2011, 1:17 PM
I have been experimenting with finishes as well.

I used CA finish on my last one like for pens. Then just polish it with my MM pads.

Jim Burr
01-09-2011, 4:16 PM
LOL!!! Washing wood!!!?? Holy cow. That's a wax failure. Event though stoppers with conventional finish should never see water, CA is what I've found best to finish those...one in my fridge as we speak!

Marvin Hasenak
01-09-2011, 4:54 PM
When she said she washed it was that by hand or the dishwasher. I know some customers that would think nothing about using the dishwasher. My money is on her using the dishwasher.

I use poly, about 3 coats, then wax them.

tom martin
01-09-2011, 8:54 PM
Thanks for you help. I am trying a few with wipe on poly and I will start using Renaissance Wax (I've been looking for a good excuse to get some)with the lacquer.
I've never used CA finish, bout time I learned! I've heard its a good pen finish .
Tom