PDA

View Full Version : Finally finished another saw kit

David Weaver
01-09-2011, 12:10 PM
(if you don't want to read the boring text, you can go right to the pictures and make any suggestions for improving the next one. I keep notes, george's criticism last time helped this tote a lot)

Way back with the original craze over the saw kits, I bought two of them. One 16" rip, and one 14" crosscut.

First tote ended up OK, but it was doggy looking in some respects.

This is the second - a 14" crosscut saw. I had done most of this thing before thanksgiving, but it sat around for a while after that, and then I lost the saw nuts and had to order more of them.

It is better than the first tote, but there is plenty of room for improvement.

First, I didn't think that hard about what I wanted the lamb's tongue to look like, and when the rubber hit the road, I didn't have enough skill or enough wood below the cheeks to make it really look separate from the cheeks of the handle, and then the one on the nut side got pooched a little beyond that. That's life as a piker.

Second, I really have to be more careful around the saw nuts. Any tool mark at all in the perimeter is really made to stand out by BLO.

The way I attach these totes to the plate is to mark where I want the holes to be on the tote cheek with a punch, and then I run them to the drill press and drill the holes with the saw plate in the tote. I don't clamp it or affix anything for the first hole. after the first, I drop a saw bolt in the first hole, and then drill a second (keeps you from ever having the holes not line up tote vs plate). Then drop the second saw bolt in the second hole and drill the third. At that point, I only have the small diameter drilled, and I need to locate a bit brace bit where the lead screw is big enough to fill the entire small hole so the wings of the bit don't wander around. I didn't think about this first, because the jennings bit in the first saw was for a larger bolt diameter and the lead screw was big enough. In this one, oops, jennings lead screw was too small. Fortunately, I had an irwin set, too, which I never use for anything, but which has larger lead screws, and that was good enough to get it done.

The only thing I did power tool-wise was drill out some mortise waste and belt sand the sides of the thing to make the bolt and screw heads flush.

I look forward to doing another one of these at some point to improve on the things that are not so great with it, but I have several planes to do in the interim, and I like making planes better - for me, it is a little easier to know it's going to end up just the way I want it to.

It is apple, by the way. Its working properties are out of this world. It's as hard or harder than hard maple (these boards are at least), but it works much much better - it never splits out unexpectedly, and all the way around, it works exactly like you'd expect it to. Finish is blo, I will probably just wax it after that and burnish it with shavings to keep it from looking dull. I'd like to shellac it with a few very light padded coats of garnet shellac, because it looks nicer (at least more shiny), but I like the oil and wax feel better.

Quartersawn apple of this quality is extremely hard to find, if you ever see any over an inch thick that is dead quartersawn and is big enough to make saw handles, buy it as fast as you can get your card out. I think you can find quartersawn parts of much larger boards, but you would have to spend several hundred dollars on one board. I bought enough to make four totes and have some scrap left from Mike Hendershot several years ago. I remember thinking it was expensive to buy two 6x3.5x11 soaking wet green chunks for $50 (i am cheap). Looking back, man what a bargain it was - I'll bet he worked pretty hard to find an old tree that would yield it. It is so nice to have nice wood working on something like this.

(somehow, the resolution of these pictures gets worse when they're viewed in the viewer. I worked hard to make the transition lines crisp and fluid on this tote, but they don't show up that well in the pictures).

David Weaver
01-09-2011, 12:20 PM
By the way, more on apple, and some folks already know this - producers have gone to trees that do not have much of a trunk, pygmy apple trees. they look like young trees when they are mature (and would probably yield enough QS heartwood away from the pith to make a couple of chisel handles).

I grew up in an area where there are thousands and thousands of acres of apple, pear, peach and cherry orchards, and the last time I went home, I did not see one apple tree that wasn't a pygmy tree. It's too bad that's the case, because the european wood is not the same. There are probably a few trees in abandoned farm orchards that would still yield some boards. Near me, people burn them for firewood or in brush piles when they clear them out, just as they used to do with a lot of the commercial trees after they are overmature.

Chris Vandiver
01-09-2011, 12:27 PM
Very nice looking handle. I like the shape and the craftsmanship looks excellent!

Jonathan McCullough
01-09-2011, 1:06 PM
That looks great! One trick you can use to keep holes for nuts and bolts concentric is to use a drill press to step-drill for the bolt first, then change to a forstner bit and drill the fillister/recess for the head. You can also use the first, smaller bit on the other side of the handle to locate the hole before you change bits again and drill for the fillister/recess on that side. Since you're doing these with braces and bits, that's seriously impressive in my book.

Tony Zaffuto
01-09-2011, 1:37 PM
Nice job Dave! Were those kits from TFWW? Mike W.? Or who?

Now that you slogged through a kit, you ready to start one from scratch?

David Weaver
01-09-2011, 1:42 PM
Chris, Thanks for the nice comments. Mike sends this pattern and a disston pattern along with the kits.

Jonathan - trust me, if the minor hole is small enough to be no larger than the lead screw, it's pretty easy with a brace. It's cleaning out the tiny mortise for the square stop under the bolt that is where the injury happens.

Depth control is is predictable with the brace so that if someone switches the screws around in the future, they won't look like a whack-a-mole game. The lead screw doesn't bite since it's in the minor hole, and the cut happens slowly and you can correct any angle issues as you go along. I don't have any religious attachment to hand tools, I just have less of a chance of messing things up with them. Plus, I hate measuring, marking and setting up tools. With a brace, you turn it a while, then just jam the end of the saw nut in the hole and see how close you are to depth, keep doing that until it's almost flush and then you're done.

Cutting the slot so that it is absolutely straight with a hand saw with no set is a different story. Any error and the cheeks will flex the saw plate. If I were to make a lot of these, I'd make a jig to hold the handles on the bandsaw, as the only saw I have thin enough to finish these cuts is a ryoba, which has no back and can work in a cut with just a little flex in it - not a good thing.

David Weaver
01-09-2011, 1:46 PM
Tony - it's a mike W kit, but a kit without a tote. I wanted to use my own wood and do the whole thing. No matter how many I do, I will always get the plates, backs and nuts from mike. Unless I have some good parts from a salvage saw. It's a lot easier to do the metalwork in a plane by hand (it doesn't flex and nothing is to be bent), and backs, nuts and plates precut with teeth from mike are so cheap that it really would be difficult to justify trying to make them unless you really want to. I have cut teeth from a blank plate before - I spent more money on the files than what mike charges to cut teeth, and it took about 2 hours on the lack backsaw I did. It takes about 10 minutes to do a very very light joint and then sharpening on one of mike's machine cut plates.

David Weaver
01-09-2011, 2:03 PM
Just for good measure, while I was at it, I replated a nurse DT saw.

Like sheriff barbrady says, nothing to see here (as in there isn't much work to it).

This saw was fine, but it was pitted (no big deal filed rip), and I was ordering sawnuts anyway. It's a nice way to spend a half hour and bling up a saw that's got some pitting.

Of the old saws, I like the english saws a lot better. they have much thinner plates. The Geo. Whittles 14" backsaw that I got has a .02 plate, and this nurse came with a .015 plate originally. I like that they hung on for a lot longer making thoughtful totes, too.

Jim Koepke
01-09-2011, 2:45 PM
Great work David.

My interest is always peaked by saw build threads. Someday it will inspire me to build a saw from scratch. Hopefully soon I will be making a tote for a saw plate that is waiting in my shop.

jtk

Leigh Betsch
01-09-2011, 10:32 PM
Looks good David. Saw making is beyond me.

Gary Hodgin
01-09-2011, 10:47 PM
Great job! Two really nice saws.

george wilson
01-10-2011, 12:50 AM
The handle looks VERY NICE,David,even excellent. I am delighted to see how good a job you have done. Keep the good work up!!!:)

Johnny Kleso
01-10-2011, 1:56 AM
Sweet Looking Saw David, thanks for sharing..

Mike Brady
01-10-2011, 3:48 PM
My...my...my!

john brenton
01-10-2011, 3:56 PM
A question about Nurse.

I have a mint Salman jack plane (that I've mentioned a few times...it's kind of the nicest thing I own) that also has the Nurse Invicta stamp and the horse. Anybody know what's up with that?

David Weaver
01-11-2011, 5:31 PM
A question about Nurse.

I have a mint Salman jack plane (that I've mentioned a few times...it's kind of the nicest thing I own) that also has the Nurse Invicta stamp and the horse. Anybody know what's up with that?

Not being a collector, and having bought the nurse based only on price and knowledge that the plate would be thin...

.. could you post a picture of the plane you're talking about? Other than the most common ones, most of the old english names are greek to me and I don't figure out what they are until after I've decided I like the tool and want to keep it to use.

john brenton
01-12-2011, 10:34 AM
I've posted the plane before...it's really a stunning piece. It's a very rich and clear red beech with super clean lines. I don't know when it was made but I do believe I was the first user. I've seen maybe three other Salmen jack planes over the last few years...and that's coming from someone who has spent the last few years on the lookout for all things "wooden plane". I haven't found any info on the brand, but always wondered why it had the Salman transfer and a Nurse stamp. I don't think it's a frankenstein woodie...the fit is just too perfect.