PDA

View Full Version : Shop Fox / Polar bear series / Grizzly

Ron Bontz
01-08-2011, 11:49 PM
Is there any difference in the three listed 15 inch planers. (T23097, G0453PX, G0453Z ) Other than the spiral head possibility. Are the bearings different? Quality of castings? ETC. Thanks in advance.

Van Huskey
01-09-2011, 2:47 AM
T23097 is the Grizzly part number for the Shopfox who's model number is actually W1742S, I mention this in case you want to google or search forums for reviews, the Grizzly part number is unlikely to show up.

The owner of Grizzly has said here the only difference between the Polar and Green series is cosmetics. I have no reason to think the only difference in the Shopfox is the 2 year warranty vs 1 year for the Grizzly and cosmetics. I would simply buy the one that was cheapest which currently is the Shopfox. You should also check Amazon although they currently don't have the helical head in stock through Amazon they often have prices (considering shipping) lower than anyone else on Shopfox machines.

Philip Johnson
01-09-2011, 5:33 AM
I have bought several ShopFox tools and my local dealers were cheaper then any online prices, plus there was no shipping from him. Check your local dealers before ordering online.

Phil

Ron Bontz
01-09-2011, 10:11 AM
I was considering Shop Fox instead of Powermatic lately. I have had a Shop Fox spindle sander for a couple of years and no complaints (except the table is a little big). I am especially interested in a spiral/shelix head. At 7-$800.00 to upgrade I may as well buy a new planer. I noticed the Shop Fox is on sale for less than the Grizzly. Didn't Shop Fox put their molder planers on sale like that when they were getting ready for a big change? BTW my local dealer has been less expensive as well. My only concern are things like bearing specs. ETC. Thanks.