PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Gifts

Dave Kartzman
01-08-2011, 9:27 PM
I've been turning for a little over a year. I travel every week on business so turning has been a stress relief for me. I make bottle stoppers with corks to give my clients whenever I visit as a 'thank you for working with me' gift. They always appreciate it. I work with federal agencies as well, so a handmade bottle stopper doesn't violate any of their 'gift' rules either..lol.

My daughter wanted a medium sized bowl for her dining room table. My teacher and wonderful friend, Peter Lamb, oversaw my efforts. It turned out wonderfully. We used Woodturner's finish after the rough turn and there was barely any warpage after about a week out of the soup.

In past years, I usually sent the salespeople and customer relationship managers wine at Christmas, but decided to send them stoppers with Ruth Niles' stainless steel bases instead. I sent my manager my first end-grain vase (spalted), and one of my friends a walnut bowl.

I made an ikebana for Peter and his wife and that turned out well. Here are some photos of what I turned for the holidays.

Any constructive criticism would be gratefully received. I have a long way to go and would appreciate any comments. Thanks... I hope all of you have a very Happy and Healthy New Year.... Dave

Steve Schlumpf
01-08-2011, 9:55 PM
Dave - all are great looking gifts - especially your daughter's bowl! Love all that curl! About the only suggestion I have is to post slightly larger photos next time so we can all enjoy the details of your turnings!

Dennis Ford
01-09-2011, 8:42 AM
Nice work! The only suggestion I have is to continue the path that you are on. I love the variety in your work.

John Keeton
01-09-2011, 9:08 AM
Dave, looks like you did well! I particularly like the curly maple bowl and the ikebana - nice work!

Bernie Weishapl
01-09-2011, 10:39 AM
Really nice gifts. I do like the bowl also. Really nice wood and curl. The bottle stoppes look great.