PDA

View Full Version : Drill press quill movement problem

Scott Haddix
01-08-2011, 9:02 PM
I have a Steel City 17" drill press that has an issue I'm struggling to resolve. Once the drill bit makes contact with the wood, the spindle has a tendency to shift slightly to the left when I apply much pressure. This model has the split-head feature, and I've tightened it as much as I can while still allowing smooth operation. I can see and feel this shift when I lower the drill bit and it engages the wood with the machine turned off. I just cannot figure out why it is happening and how to prevent it.

If I take a very light touch approach, I can keep the shift from being problematic on short holes in soft wood. But if I'm trying to drill something like a pen blank where I'm doing a 2 1/2" hole through a harder wood, I end up with a hole that is larger than the drill bit and at times it has caused a pen blank to split.

Any suggestions?

Brian Vaughn
01-08-2011, 10:35 PM
I know this is a basic question, but have you removed the quill and cleaned the shaft as well as the interior of the quill seat? If you have a little trash up in there, it could prevent you from having a good grip. I actually had the opposite problem as you, where my bit didn't center until I engaged the wood, then it stopped moving, and that was my issue.

Also, have you actually confined the problem to the quill? What I mean is, if you are seeing it with the drill turned off, can you also see where the actual movement takes place. Could it be a problem in your upper shaft, maybe with the gearing or something? An off-center on the handle gear could cause it to push one way or the other...Just some ideas...

Kent A Bathurst
01-09-2011, 5:04 AM
What style bit are you using?

Scott Haddix
01-09-2011, 11:31 AM
Mostly brad point, but seeing this with twist bits too.

Scott Haddix
01-09-2011, 11:34 AM
I tried that early on, but also think I'd get a wobble from the get-go if it were a seating issue. But, the issue doesn't present itself until I apply pressure, and then it still doesn't seem to wobble as much as just do a small shift to the left.

david brum
01-09-2011, 11:50 AM
Hi Scott

I don't know if this applies to your drill press, but mine has a keyway machined into the shaft. There is a key (in my case simply a screw with flats machined on the end) which can be rotated to remove play in the shaft. Yours may be more sophisticated, by I'll bet there is some type of mechanism for taking up the lash.

Mine was rotating just as you describe. I removed most of it by doing the aforementioned adjustment.

glenn bradley
01-09-2011, 12:00 PM
Unplug the machine and put an old 1/4" or so bit in it. Lower the quill about an inch or so. Set your dial indicator against the spindel where it is exposed by lowering the quill that inch or so. Slide a piece of flat test wood under the bit and lower the quill to make contact.

What you are watching for is an indication on the dial that the spindle is shifting. If so, call Steel City. If not, repeat the procedure with the dial indicator resting against the chuck. If your shift is there, you have a seating issue. Let us know what you find. :)

Kent A Bathurst
01-09-2011, 12:30 PM
Mostly brad point, but seeing this with twist bits too.

OK - Just checking - the twist bits tend to wander - nature of the beast. The brad point ain't supposed to. Not a bit problem.

Scott Haddix
01-09-2011, 7:38 PM
I'll give this a shot and report back. Unfortunately, work is calling me out of town for the next week, so it will be next weekend by the time I can try the recommendations. More to come in a bit...

Thanks in advance for the suggestions, by the way. Appreciate it.