PDA

View Full Version : Air Filtration

Ray Bell
01-08-2011, 9:01 PM
I know there must be a lot of threads on this subject, but just want to repost in case something new is out. I am looking to buy one of the overhead changeable air filters. The JDS-750 looks promising, but just want to get other opinions. My little window mounted heatpump unit seems to suck up all of the sandings, and I am constantly changing out the foam auxiliary filter I tape to the front of this. This can't be good for this unit. Hopefully one of the overhead units will clean up more of the dust.

Any thoughts?

Thanks, Ray

charlie knighton
01-08-2011, 9:21 PM
amazon has sold filters that can be cleaned, i just wash it out with garden hose, another thing you might not like, just turn native american woods, so many of the exoctics have dangerous dust

Leo Graywacz
01-08-2011, 9:31 PM
I have the JDS. Nice cleaner. My shop is a little to big for it to be effective but it still pulls its weight. For a smaller shop I think it would be a great addition.

Michael N Taylor
01-08-2011, 11:26 PM
I have one of the larger Jets and it makes a world of difference in my 30 x30 shop.

Don Alexander
01-08-2011, 11:32 PM
i would definitely recommend the Jet unit i have the 1000 in my 12 x 12 shop and it is amazing

David E Keller
01-09-2011, 12:02 AM
Not intended as a hijack, but... For those of you that use these air cleaners, how often do you need to change/clean the filters?

Harry Robinette
01-09-2011, 12:35 AM
Ray & David
I use a Jet 1000 my shop is just about 24 x 29 and it really helps,the JDS is rated with the filters in and all the others are rated without the filters.The JDS is the best of Jet,Powermatic,delta,and JDS but also more money.You have to deside if the extra money is worth the extra air,my JET does great for allot less.
Dave
I vacuum my outside filer when ever I go past with the vac, probably once a week,I clean the outside filter & inside both about once a month,if you keep that outside filter vacuumed it well last a couple months.the inside bag filter will last pretty much forever if you keep it clean.DO NOT USE COMPRESSED AIR TO BLOW THEM OUT,this will cause very small holes to form in the filter material,also mount it on the side of your shop so the exhaust is about 1/3 from the end wall and the intake 2/3rd's from the other end.They work by circulating the air in a circle exhaust to intake. Harry

John Coloccia
01-09-2011, 12:43 AM
Not intended as a hijack, but... For those of you that use these air cleaners, how often do you need to change/clean the filters?

I've had my JDS about a year and have yet to change the filters. I'm not a production shop, and I have very effective dust collection, so that helps.

I can watch my Dylos counter go from 2500 or 3000 (after heavy duty sanding, for example) down to a couple of hundred counts in about 10 minutes. It's remarkable how quickly it can circulate all the air in the shop.

Ray Bell
01-09-2011, 2:07 AM
Thanks all, I just ordered the Jet 1000.

Jeff Nicol
01-09-2011, 5:41 AM
Ray, Of course I built my own like just about everything else I have, but it is built the same as any of the commercially available ones except a lot bigger! I had a fairly large fan from a furnace and I got a aluminum framed bag filter that was 24"x20" and built the box to fit the filter and the pre-filter of the same size. The motor has 3 speeds but I just have it on high for now and have it hooked to a remote control for outdoor Christmas lights that works great for turning it on and off.

David, I clean mine when I remember to or when I have been sanding a lot and more in the winter when the shop is closed up for longer periods of time, so I guess it pretty much matches the rest of my shop.......A MESS!!!!

Keep the dust out of the lungs is the main thing,

Jeff