PDA

View Full Version : First lathe, First turning

Deane Allinson
01-08-2011, 8:55 PM
I usually hang out in the Neander area. I have several chisels that are without handles or at least need attention. I haven't been able to find replacement handles that I really liked. Sooo.. I bought an 40's Delta Milwaukee 36" lathe. Only $150.00, but it works. I tried to look it up on OWWM with out any luck. It's a lot like a 1460 but the belt only comes out the back. I had a nice piece of persimmon stashed back and it made a nice handle that made a nice chisel. I was pleased a my first attempt. A good piece of wood helps.Turning wood is kind of fun.
Deane

Christopher K. Hartley
01-08-2011, 9:21 PM
Deane, welcome to the REAL dark side of woodworking. I really like that lathe and hope that this fine handle is the first of many posts you will do here. Good work and nice handle.:)

charlie knighton
01-08-2011, 9:26 PM
very nice, persimmon is good, if you have any dogwood that has died around, i like it for tool handles

Steve Schlumpf
01-08-2011, 9:49 PM
Deane - Welcome to this side of the Creek! That's a pretty cool old lathe you got there! Obviously - it still works well! Very nice handle!

I want to warn you about turning and how we all consider it a vortex! You already mentioned that turning wood was fun - that's how it starts! It becomes addicting and the next thing you know - you have a newer lathe, more tools and wood blanks scattered all over your shop!

Hey - have fun with it and if you have any questions.... let us know!

David Reed
01-08-2011, 9:54 PM
Deane - Welcome to this side of the Creek!
I want to warn you about turning and how we all consider it a vortex! You already mentioned that turning wood was fun - that's how it starts! It becomes addicting and the next thing you know - you have a newer lathe, more tools and wood blanks scattered all over your shop!

Hear that giant sucking sound.........................

Cathy Schaewe
01-08-2011, 10:07 PM
"kinda" fun? Ha! just you wait!!!

Bernie Weishapl
01-08-2011, 11:12 PM
Welcome to the Dark Side. With one foot in the black hole ain't no getting out now.:D:rolleyes:;)

Curt Fuller
01-08-2011, 11:14 PM
It always starts with something so simple. Sometimes it's just a table leg, sometimes a tool handle. You might think you're just nibbling, but you're as good as in the frying pan!

BTW, nice handle!

Don Alexander
01-08-2011, 11:48 PM
i hear the monster vacuum spinning up :D:D

better buckle up the safety belt cause the VORTEX has you in its grip :p

Baxter Smith
01-08-2011, 11:48 PM
Welcome, nice handle, ditto all of the above!

David E Keller
01-08-2011, 11:59 PM
I haven't checked the classifieds yet to see if all of your planes and chisels are for sale yet...:D:D

Nice looking handle!

Rick Markham
01-09-2011, 4:50 AM
Deane, welcome over here! I love the "haven" it's one of my favorite places, you know the slippery slope is nothing compared to the turning vortex. Heck yeah turning is fun!!! It's an amazing blend of hand tools and with just a taste of machinery! Maybe I will get around to turning some new handles for my LN chisels... which have dust on them now from all the lathe work I have been doing... LOL

Jeff Nicol
01-09-2011, 5:29 AM
Deane, Another WELCOME from a former flat worker and carver who has become a "Turnaholic"! That is a beautiful old lathe you have there and would look good in anyones shop. Very nice handle on a nice gouge, show no fear when the whooshing of the VORTEX is pulling you to the store for more turning tools, it only hurts the wallet a little while!!

Have a great day and see you here again soon,

Jeff

John Keeton
01-09-2011, 7:50 AM
Deane, another welcome from a former flatworker, and hybrid Neander!! The lure of woodturning is worse for a Neander - you have the true joy of a handtool, feedback from the wood, instant shavings, etc, combined with the unlimited ability to create. This will not be your last turning!!!;)

Dennis Ford
01-09-2011, 8:37 AM
Nice lathe and handle. You should check out the "Hunt County Woodturners" club, they meet in Greenville.

gary Zimmel
01-09-2011, 9:58 AM
Another one bites the dust.... Watch it Deane this is going to cost you a few dollars.
Nice job on the handle.

bob svoboda
01-09-2011, 11:07 AM
Great old lathe. Welcome to the dark side.