PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning the gunk off of new machinery

Don L Johnson
01-08-2011, 5:01 PM
When cleaning off the gunk used to prevent rust during shipment, how do you clean off the little cutter inserts that are on a spiral cutterhead? Should I take them all off and soak them, or should I use a toothbrush to try to clean them while installed on the spiral cutterhead? Just looking for experiences you all have had. Thanks,

mickey cassiba
01-08-2011, 6:10 PM
I've cleaned lot's of machinery with naphtha based products. Others may cringe, but my favorite is regular lighter fluid. Never did a spiral head, but I would think that if you tooth-brushed with almost any solvent, covered the machine, and turned it on, that most all of the shipping grease would magically appear on the sacrificial cover. Take care to keep the cover away from moving parts

Don Zielinski
01-08-2011, 6:33 PM
I have alway's used a heat gun on cosmoline. It will turn liquid and run off and then wipe off the residue.

Don Z.

Gary Herrmann
01-08-2011, 7:35 PM
I use mineral spirits or kerosene. I also recommend removing all of the cutters and soaking or wiping them off with a solvent. The cosmoline will get under the cutters and attract sawdust over time. Removing them and cleaning them will also help you ensure they are tightened down correctly.

Alan Heffernan
01-08-2011, 10:16 PM
I have a 20" planer with a spiral head. I ran some lumber through it and then used compressed are to blow it off.

Removing all the inserts off a head is an awfully big job. If you prefer not to let some lumber do the job for you, use some rags underneath it and hose is down with aerosol brake parts cleaner. Let the rags catch the liquid coming off the head.

Jon McElwain
01-10-2011, 6:51 PM
+1 on the Kerosene. This was recommended by one of the manufacturers that I purchased machinery from a while back and it worked well. I just went through a thickness planer and a jointer, both with carbide inserts on a spiral cutter head. I used the toothbrush and lots of kerosene method. Worked well. After cleaning all the antirust stuff, excessive goo, and labels off several pieces of machinery this last year, I would almost rather clean up a few surface rust spots than deal with the goo they put on their machines! Most of the manufacturers had a reasonable amount of crap on their machines to protect them, but everything that I bought from Laguna required a spatula for the first round. Come on guys, WAY TOO MUCH GOO!

John Cavanaugh
01-11-2011, 12:57 AM
I have alway's used a heat gun on cosmoline. It will turn liquid and run off and then wipe off the residue.

Don Z.

Ive never heard of this idea before, I love it, next time its what I am going to do...

Karl Card
01-11-2011, 10:03 AM
Man I thought I was the only one with issues on GOO... When my 8 inch jointer got home it had so much goo on it that is was ridiculous. I did try mineral spirits and it really did not do much. I think I will try a little heat and see how that goes... then wax it 2 or 3 times buff it out and then it will be to nice to use...lol

Jim Heffner
01-30-2011, 12:26 AM
Here's another idea that works well for me on removing that cosmoline gunk. I use use spray
brake cleaner or spray carb cleaner from the auto parts store...it will dissolve that junk fast!
Spray it on, then wife off with a clean cloth, small recess areas may need a little brushing
with a small brush ( old tooth brush) works good here, then blast recess area with compressed
air..makes short work of an already irritating one!