PDA

View Full Version : Corel CD's

Linda Tetreault
01-09-2005, 4:10 PM
Has anyone used the corel cd's by Judy & John McDaniel? They are $395 for 2 cd's, I was waiting to take a corel course from the Community college in town, but it won't start for a few months & would cost more than the cd's & wouldn't be geared to laser. I need a boost over the learning curve (mountain), spending hours trying to do a project is getting old! TIA
Linda

Keith Outten
01-09-2005, 7:30 PM
Linda,

I have never seen the Corel training CD's you mentioned but I recently received Epilog's quarterly Newsletter and they reference a Hands-on CorelDraw School that John and Judy McDaniel are co-sponsoring Febuary 28th and March 1,2 in Vegas. Only 20 registrations are available and the cost is $595.00. Call 866-967-4271 or visit the following urls ;

www.epiloglaser.com/corelschool.htm
www.graphic-products-training.com

The Epilog Newsletter has a very nice tutorial for combining Engraving and Text for those who are still learning CorelDraw it is a nice article. Even if you don't own an Epilog machine you might be wise to visit their web site and check out their technical articles and grab some of the free samples from their Sample Club.

Linda Tetreault
01-09-2005, 7:56 PM
Keith,

I read that newsletter, in doing a little research on the course I found the CD's at http://www.video-classroom.com/ , which seems like a good option, without traveling across the country or waiting for a local course to be held. I was hoping someone had used the cd's & could possibly recomend them, or not.
Linda

Chuck Burke
01-10-2005, 11:56 PM
Linda,
What version of Corel do you have? If you have 12, there is a multi media cd included from Lynda.com. I have found it very helpful.
Also, I have used Coreldraw 12 Unleashed by Foster Coburn. It is an excellent tutroial.
These are alternatives to the McDaniels Courses. Have you taken any of their workshops? If you have, I believe you can get the cd for $100.00.
If I had the chance to take a Corel Class at a community college I most certainly would. Don't let the fact that it is not geared toward a laser stop you. After all the laser is really nothing more than a glorified printer, and if you know about raster and vector graphics, you will be able to apply what you learn with out any problem.
I would be happy to be oh help with any questions, as would many members of this and other forums.

Chuck Burke
Pacific LaZer Works
Maui

Roy Brewer
01-11-2005, 12:19 AM
Linda,

I have not seen the CDs, but I'm a great fan of the McDaniels and I'm sure the CDs are excellent; if you have read any of their articles you'll know that they are some of the industry's most technical trainers. The write ups on their CDs seem to correlate to their seminars so I suspect you'll find the same information they been providing and polishing for several years. Can't miss; please spend *your* $ then tell us what you think. {;<)

ARA will be releasing, very soon, a three CD set of CorelDRAW projects of which 100% apply to the engraving industry: laser &/or mechanical engraving. I think these are great, but then I try not to take myself too seriously since I wrote them. I believe they will be sold for $30 each.

Ian Spence
01-11-2005, 9:40 AM
Hi Roy,

Please tell me more about these CD's. Where and when are they available? Will they be available in Canada?
Ian

Roy Brewer
01-12-2005, 11:47 AM
<!--StartFragment -->
Ian,

The "kick off" for the CDs is scheduled for the Atlanta Awards & Recognition show Feb 3-5. If you are an ARA member, the February issue will have pretty thorough details.

Basically, however, each CD is a screen capture with spoken explanation of what is being done. Each CD covers 10-20 "real, live" projects from start to finish. What we've tried to accomplish in these CDs is all the basics required to use Corel for any graphics output device but with special attention to laser engraving. Plus, hundreds of tips. DRAW, TRACE, PAINT are all covered, but not the other "applets" that come with the suite.

While Corel 11 was used to create these tutorials, 100% of the content also pertains to 12 and well over 95% will apply to earlier versions.

[This is not an advertisement! I make no $ off these. I do think they will be found very useful for most people.]

Ian Spence
01-13-2005, 8:08 AM
Thanks Roy

We are not members of the ARA. I will keep an eye on their website around the start of February and see if I can buy them from there. They sound exacly what we are looking for.

Ian

Jeanette Brewer
01-13-2005, 10:59 AM
I believe ARA is planning to make the CDs available to non-members at a slightly(?) higher price. We'll know more after the release next month.

Bruce Larson
01-17-2005, 11:16 PM
I have been to one of Mr. Brewer's classes and can vouch for his knowledge and professionalism. I have also purchased the Coburn CORELDRAW 12 UNLEASHED CD's and find them very useful. The video clips included that can be run over and over again, are extremely helpful.

Linda Tetreault
04-14-2005, 7:53 PM
I just received the 3 CD set by Roy Brewer and they're great! I'm not a member of ARA so they were more than the members fee, but still worth every penny. There are so many great tips & things I never thought about and so many things are going to be simpler now that I can do them in 3 steps instead of 23. Just being able to go back & look something up is about 100 times better than taking a class, & there's no test at the end!
I'm so happy I could just laser my life away!!
Linda

rich shepard
04-14-2005, 10:03 PM
I'm taking the McDaniel's Class in Portland next weekend and will let you know how it goes. If they can teach me they are doing good. I computer person I am not. We have auto cad at work and all my guys use it but i have avoided it so far for 16 years:D rater do my drawing the old way ink and pencil.
rich

rich shepard
04-25-2005, 10:24 PM
hi All
As I said I took the course this past weekend,and it was ok. I learned some short cuts that will come in handy. I did get behind at times as I'm a One finger typer, but John or Judy were always ready to help. John did just have time to hit the high lights on most things but said the CD's go into more detail and from the little time I have had to check them out they do look like they will do very well. They supplied everyone a laptop and you could work along as he showed you what to do on the screen and as this was the first 3 day class, Phil form Pacific Northwest Lasers had 3 lasers set up and running on Sunday for you to use.
That worked out great for me as I had a job to engrave a Logo on Friday morning and they wanted it on a 16" x 16" tile and as I only have a 12"X 18" mini, I got to do it there on Sunday and dropped it off to day.
rich