PDA

View Full Version : Jet 1642 Clicking sound

Chris Fontana
01-08-2011, 3:01 PM
I have a Jet 1642 EVS-2 that is 6 mos old. I love the lathe and until now have had no problems. Today I begin to notice a clicking or ticking sound that seems to be coming from the front part of the spindle possibly the bearings. Increase the speed and the frequency of the noise increases. Has anyone encountered this? If so this info would really help when I call Jet on Monday....Thanks...

David Reed
01-08-2011, 3:24 PM
Mine was clicking once when the cone on the live center (tailstock) became loose.

Dale Bright
01-08-2011, 3:29 PM
Check the screws / bolts that the tachometer sensor reads. They are near the front of the spindle. That is a common cuase for a clicking noise in that lathe.

Dale

Steve Schlumpf
01-08-2011, 3:30 PM
Chris - I suppose anything can happen but I sure wouldn't think the bearings would have gone this quickly. Of the many times I have read of folks having problems with 'clicks' it usually was caused by a loose set screw. Things do work loose over time so it is at least worth checking.

First thing - take the motor out of the possible problems by removing the drive belt. If you still have the noise - the I would check the set screws at the ring located at the read bearings - this is the one that the push button lock fits into. You also have set screws on the drive belt pulley. Also check to make sure that your magnetic rpm sensor is not touching the bolt heads on the spindle.

Be sure to rotate the spindle by hand to see if the sound is still present. While it could be bearings - I have my fingers crossed that it is just something that worked loose.

Good luck with this and be sure to let us know what you find!

Faust M. Ruggiero
01-08-2011, 5:13 PM
Chris,
I believe my 3520 and your 1642 are made almost exactly alike. I had the same problem you describe. Try this, loosen the four screws that hols the digital speed indicator in place. I believe the clicking will stop. If it does, the square block mounted on the shaft just right of the hand wheel but inside the housing is touching the magnetic collector that registers with the tach. I fixed mine by installing washers between the face plate for the tach and the casting. Let us know how you make out.
faust

James Combs
01-08-2011, 5:55 PM
I also have a Jet 1642 EVS-2. It is not clicking now but I will be checking for loose screws etc and I will be watching the results of this post as follow-up.

Chris Fontana
01-08-2011, 6:05 PM
Thanks for the rapid response. I checked all the screws and they were tight. I think Faust was closest to what was going on with mine. I didn't have to shim it but just remounted it. There is still a little bit of noise but it is coming from the belt. Really appreciate the help.

Steve Schlumpf
01-08-2011, 6:41 PM
Thanks for letting us know! Glad you didn't have to call for service!

Tim Rinehart
01-18-2011, 3:39 PM
Just this past weekend, I noticed a clicking sound on my PM3520B (less than a year old) that was at the same frequency as the spindle rotations. As with others...I've found that it diminishes at higher speeds.

I found it was the locking collar setscrews being loose, but the pulleys/sheave setscrews were all tight and verified. The locking collar is the black piece behind the tach that the tach reads, and has the detents for the spindle lock.
Noise all gone on mine!:cool:

Montgomery Scott
01-18-2011, 3:55 PM
The problem is one of the pulley set screws is coming loose. Open your cover plate on the motor housing and get in their with a ball end hex wrench and tighten it up. There are two set screws so check them both.

Jack Savona
01-19-2011, 10:58 AM
Had similar problem with my 3520 last year. I moved the grooved belt one groove over, so it wasn't rubbing against the pulley side. No more noise.