PDA

View Full Version : PM3520 Owners - Shelves/storage underneath?

Alan Heffernan
01-08-2011, 12:25 PM
Have you put the 2 x 6 shelves underneath that PM recommends in the manual? If not what other approaches have you come up with. Does the machine need counter weight there or could you build some storage in there for turning tools, chucks, etc.?

Faust M. Ruggiero
01-08-2011, 12:50 PM
Even though it would be nice to have a bit of extra storage space, I prefer to keep the space below the lathe accessible so it is easy to remove chips. My lathe is about 24" from the wall with the operator facing the wall. That doesn't leave much room to work behind it. If I even need the ballast I will bolt the machine to the floor.
faust

Bob Bergstrom
01-08-2011, 1:36 PM
Same here. I do have a hydraulic table under my lathe (used to move it). I can raise it as a table for temporary storage of tools and chucks I'm using at the time. Pull the table out and sweep out under the lathe. I have also used the table under the lowered extension

dan carter
01-08-2011, 1:38 PM
Yes, I used 2 x6 and scrap plywood, put a few holes in one end for tools I use on the product at hand. Put a chuck of wood on the other end along with a tool drawer. Have thought about cleaning it up and building a nicer looking one, but never have taken the time.

Tom Hintz
01-08-2011, 2:24 PM
I built the shelf outlined in the manual for my 3520B and it has been fine. This lathe does not need extra weight so I made use of the storage space.

Richard Bell CA
01-08-2011, 4:03 PM
Alan:

Check out the Mustard Monster site - there are some ideas under Miscellany.

https://docs.google.com/View?docID=d4b7vjd_1hb4nbm&revision=_latest

Richard

David E Keller
01-08-2011, 4:54 PM
I built a simple shelf under mine, but I don't use it for anything productive... I'm considering taking it out to make clean up easier.

Scott Crumpton
01-08-2011, 8:18 PM
I have a section of 9" wide Closet Maid shelving wedged into the base just under the bed. Very handy for the occasional tool. The lathe is bolted into a steel and concrete mobile base that creates a platform about 6" above the floor. I don't know if the 300# base is really necessary, but the concrete sure does add rigidity to the whole assembly.

Gary Conklin
01-08-2011, 10:20 PM
Black granite, but have also added simple 2x's and store turning blanks there now.

Ron Bontz
01-08-2011, 11:28 PM
I built some storage drawers underneath mine for chucks and stuff. I have already plenty of "stuff".:)

Doug Wolf
01-09-2011, 9:11 AM
Alan, I originally put wire shelving under mine but I got tired of cleaning all of the wood chips up. So I built an enclosed storage unit out of a couple of cabinet doors I had. I built them at an angle so my leg wouldn't hit them when I was turning. The back is also angled so the shavings slide down the back onto the floor. Sorry I don't have a picture of the inside but it has several rows of holes for tool storage and the chucks, faceplates and tool rests lay on the bottom. There are a couple of looong gouges that don't fit inside but 90% of my turning tools are in there. I haven't had the need for any extra weight and I've rough turned some 70 or 80 pound logs.

Alan Heffernan
01-09-2011, 10:32 AM
Ron, I like the pinstripes on the shelf! Where did you get the paint and stripes to match??
Alan

Alan Heffernan
01-09-2011, 10:34 AM
Doug, I like the notion of a angled front and it goes all the up to catch fewer shavings.
Thanks for the photo.

Alan Heffernan
01-09-2011, 10:36 AM
Gary, very nice piece of ballast! Thanks for the photo.
Alan

Alan Heffernan
01-09-2011, 10:41 AM
Dan, thanks for the info and the photo. I forgot the need for the mat in front. I have some that my son bought for me from Cintas and looks like I will be moving one in front of the lathe when it comes in this week!
Alan

Alan Heffernan
01-09-2011, 10:42 AM
Richard, thanks for the link to the MM site. It is a great site to look at all the ideas.
Alan

Alan Heffernan
01-09-2011, 10:44 AM
Bob,
great idea for mobile base! Thanks for the photo.
Alan

Alan Heffernan
01-09-2011, 10:46 AM
To all, thanks a lot for all the feedback. I have a bunch of good ideas now and surely will implement something once I get my hands on the machine. I hope my wife can get it off the truck for me this week while I am out working!

George Morris
01-09-2011, 11:03 AM
Alan click on my name and go to my albums for pics of storage and swingaway for my tail stock. The M.M. site is excellent!

Alan Heffernan
01-09-2011, 11:18 AM
George, fantastic ideas! A couple of questions:
1. What is is the swingaway made of?
2. Where did you get the paint to match?

Thanks

Mike Stephens
01-09-2011, 12:40 PM
Here's mine. Simple yet functional.

Mike Peace
01-09-2011, 1:45 PM
I have not seen the need for more ballast and the value of the extra storage space is more than offset by the inconvenience in shavings cleanup. I would not want anything that limits where I put my feet when turning either.

Bill Hensley
01-09-2011, 3:38 PM
I used the 2x6s for a shelf and built an enclosed box with a flap on one end and store my buffing supplies in there.

My solution for all the chips that fall through the ways was to take a large piece of cardboard and mount it so it leans/props underneath towards the front way and angles down to the back. A lot of what falls through goes to the back of the lathe.

Tom Hamilton
01-09-2011, 8:59 PM
Alan, I got a wild hair a couple of month ago and made a shelf for my PM. Unfortunately, I did not calculate that I move my dust collector hood, mounted on a stand behind the lathe, with a well placed push/kick/shove of my foot. Hmmm, when my shin hit the new shelf it was a rude awakening. So, the shelf moved to the recycle bin, and I continue to move my dust collector hood with appropriate foot force.

The tool storage cabinets shown in response to your query are really cool, and would, alas, also interfere with my current dust method. Bummer.

Perhaps a ceiling mounted dust collector hood, infinitely movable and stable, and a storage cabinet. Hmmmm...

Best regards, Tom, in Georgia, where the snow and ice has closed everything for 48 hours.

Philip Duffy
01-10-2011, 5:42 AM
I put 800 lbs of sand, in bags on the shelf and have a piece of luan ply on top, loose, so I can just slide it out to remove the chips. Lathe does not vibrate or move. Phil