PDA

View Full Version : Wiring a replacement motor...please check me.

Tim Morton
01-09-2005, 2:24 PM
I just recieved my Leeson 2HP DC motor and want to install it in my Jointer.Just want to run the wire diagram by you guys before I plug it in. OK, so on the case label there are 2 boxes next to each other with wiring instructions.
The box on the right (the way the motor is currently wired) says:
P1=Line
P2=Tape
T2-T3-T8=Tape
T4-T5=line

Nowhere does is say that this is set for 220v and this is my first motor install. Asuming it comes from Leeson wired for 220v I just need to know if the white white connects to P1 And Black to T4-T5 with green to ground. Thanks for your help, I am electrically challenged and the shop where I bought the motor is closed weekends.

Jim Becker
01-09-2005, 3:00 PM
Since they refer to two connections as "line", I suspect it's pre-wired for 240v...that listing is remarkably similar to the Leeson motor on my 2hp Oneida Commercial Cyclone!

Tim Morton
01-09-2005, 3:03 PM
Thanks Jim, I also compared the wiring chart and hook-up to the Baldor that is being replaced and It matchs the "high-voltage) chart on the baldor, and that is how the baldor is wired, which I am told was wired for 220. Which it why i buttoned up and am moving on. I can't STAND seeing the Colts doing so well, so I am surfing the creek and working on the Jointer as opposed to watching football.

Thanks for the help.

Bill Turpin
01-09-2005, 3:21 PM
According to ANSI standards it is wired for the high voltage. Most dual voltage NEW motors are shipped set up for the high voltage. That way if you hook to low voltage motor doesn't start right and runs slow. No real harm done if you change it. If you hook low voltage wiring to high voltage....instant fried motor. You have let all the smoke out, and it won't be no good no more! Of course used motors come either way, so you need to know how it was wired. The rotation is CW facing the shaft. Swap the T5 and T8 for CCW. :(

http://www.usmotors.com/Connections/904983.pdf

Bill Turpin in WNC mountains

Tim Morton
01-09-2005, 3:23 PM
Thanks Bill...thats what i was looking for!!