PDA

View Full Version : Acrylic Led sign question?

Joe Kace
01-08-2011, 9:58 AM
Hello All

I am making a LED lit backboard for a pinball machine and I want to reflect the light that is leaving the top back into the display. Is there something made or any suggestions on the best way to accomplish this. Here is a pic of the sign itself, I hope it comes out ok I had to really size it down.

Thanks
Joe

Shawn Conklin
01-08-2011, 10:33 AM
I have used foil duct tape. The stuff thats basically aluminum foil on a roll with sticky on one side. Its for chimey pipe I beleive. It was ok. The bigger goal it accomplished was to block the edge light, I didnt think it helped much with actual light recovery, maybe a little but its not like adding an extra side of LEDs. You can use the same stuff to separate 2 acrylic panels that touc when you don't want light polution from one to reach the other.

I am curious about your base. Did you just tape SMD Leds to the bottom or did you have a bracket? I have been experimenting recently so on the lookout for new ways to mount leds but still keep them protected.

Joe Kace
01-08-2011, 11:34 AM
There is actually no base on that. I was using a Anodized Aluminum channel for the test ( insulated of course ). I will be using 3/8th plastic U Channel for the finished product. This goes inside the pinball machine and gets screw in from behind and it hangs there.

Joe Kace
01-08-2011, 1:26 PM
Shawn,
Thanks for the suggestion, I happen to have a little of that here and it worked great, just what I was looking for.

Joe