PDA

View Full Version : One Tough Kid

Jon Lanier
01-07-2011, 11:12 PM
Had to share this about my 8th grader.

Josh wrestled tonight and avoided just getting pinned in the first period and got his right thumb broken in that first period. Hung in there, and then in the second period he pinned his opponent from Laurel. With a BROKEN THUMB!!!! (he is tougher than I am)

Nobody knew he broke his thumb until the match was over. I could tell he was favoring his hand for some reason but didn't know why. He went undefeated for the year in the heavy weight division. And his season is over.

Bruce Page
01-08-2011, 12:40 AM
That's an impressive record. You have a tough young man there.

Mike Cutler
01-08-2011, 7:50 AM
Way to go Josh. You should be very proud of what you've accomplished

Take care of the thumb, get it healed up properly, and be ready for next season.

Belinda Barfield
01-08-2011, 8:13 AM
Go Josh! Wow, you're right, that's one tough kid.

Scott Shepherd
01-08-2011, 10:20 AM
8th grade? That kid looks like he just graduated college! Man, what have you all been feeding that kid? :)

Jon Lanier
01-08-2011, 3:45 PM
We feed him Everything! He's 6ft and about 230lbs. He doesn't like wrestling much. He likes the work outs. He's wanting to lose more weight... wanting to make the Varsity Football team as a freshman. Wants to play defensive line and knows he needs more speed. After wrestling season he's planning on spending his 'athletic' time in the weight room.

Jon Lanier
01-10-2011, 9:44 PM
Update: Josh saw the Ortho today and it was decided that he needed surgery. The dr. was able to get him in today, so Josh now has 2 pins holding his thumb together. No problems and surgery went well.

Stephan Larson
01-12-2011, 2:02 PM
Jon,
Having been there the "big kid" tell him to do more reps in the gym and less weight. Since he's still growing you don't want to put any added stress on his joints, also it develops more definition and not as much bulk and stick with the cardio. If he wants to see someone in shape have him take spinning classes (stationary bike) a 100 lbs little girl instructor on a bike can "kill" a big guy. I also did the varsity as a freshman it was ok but might have been better to get playing time instead of holding blocking dummies for guys 6-8 325, but we were state champs so huge thrill for a freshman. It didn't hurt for college offers either. Tell him to stick with the wrestling as great scholarship are aquired through that sport as well. I did them both and had offers for both as it sounds Josh should.
Stephan C

David Weaver
01-12-2011, 4:16 PM
Wrestlers are a different breed, and it's good he didn't favor the thumb visibly, or the other kid might've taken advantage of it.

He's got plenty of life left to thin out, tell him to enjoy his run through school no matter whether he weighs 210 pounds or 275 pounds.