PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly, Jet or Delta Drum Sander???

Mark Blatter
01-07-2011, 10:31 PM
Trying to decide between the Grizzly 0458 & G1079, the Jet 16-32, and the Delta 18-36 drum sanders. Any and all thoughts greatly appreciated.

Van Huskey
01-07-2011, 11:32 PM
Trying to decide between the Grizzly 0458 & G1079, the Jet 16-32, and the Delta 18-36 drum sanders. Any and all thoughts greatly appreciated.

The 1079 is discontinued. The Delta and 0458 are clones so buying new I would say get the one with the best deal inclusing shipping balancing the Delta 5 year warranty what ever that might mean to you. In the end new if I didn't need the two inches the Jet would be my choice as it has a long track record as the Performax/Jet 16-32. I also like the fact the Jet has smart sand and you can easily build or use infeed and outfeed tables.

John Coloccia
01-07-2011, 11:36 PM
I don't know much about the other two, but the Jet has a well respected lineage from the Performax line and they've improved it since. I have a 22-44 I've been happy with. I'd probably stick with the Jet until Grizz or Delta come out with some radical improvement that makes it worth it to switch.

Mark Blatter
01-08-2011, 12:41 AM
The 1079 is discontinued.

It is still showing as available on the Grizzly web page and I like that it has two drums. Still debating whether the 16" are enough width, but I keep going back to the idea of getting 80 & 120 grit on one pass. Perhaps that is a bad idea though.

Van Huskey
01-08-2011, 3:09 AM
It is still showing as available on the Grizzly web page and I like that it has two drums. Still debating whether the 16" are enough width, but I keep going back to the idea of getting 80 & 120 grit on one pass. Perhaps that is a bad idea though.

You are talking about the G1079R, the G1079 is indeed discontinued. I had forgotten about the 1079R. Its bigger brothers in the 1066 series get less than stellar reviews BUT they are probably getting compared to more substantial closed end drum sanders and they are on the pretty low end there. I can't remember reading too much about the 1079 or 1079R so I can't help but IF 16" is enough for you it might well be worth investigating further. 16" is a weird break point for me, I tend to have enough panels over 16" that it would be an issue but they are generally just over. I have a 38" Woodmaster (the single drum version) and I often keep one grit on one side and another on the other side giving be ~18 of each grit (you can do it since they have a H&L drum) which is good for the vast majority of what I do. The Jets are excellent open ended drum sanders BUT at some point in the price/quality range closed end versions become better, the question is whether that occurs below or above the 1079R.

Dave MacArthur
01-08-2011, 6:22 PM
I swear, there's probably not a paid guy at any of the current tool producers that knows as much as Van about the total market and the ongoing competitive price-points in relation to tool capabilities... they'd have to pay a guy 6 figures to provide as much insight as you do here... the smart CEO would be having his marketing guy set his search params for "Van Huskey, new since last visit" and visit here daily...

Always informative and interesting, thanks!

John TenEyck
01-08-2011, 9:26 PM
Can't comment on the other machines, but I have a Delta 1836 that works very well. I bought it used for about half price with several extras, and would do the same again. Something to consider. Whatever you buy, I'd recommend getting the widest machine you think you might need and have space for. I'm glad I didn't get anything smaller than 18" because it's not really 18" inches. You have the zones on both ends where the paper is clamped which, unless installed perfectly, will leave a defect. If your drum is wide enough you don't need to worry about the ends.