PDA

View Full Version : Beall spindle tap used on metal?

Roger Chandler
01-07-2011, 9:50 PM
Does anyone here know if a beall spindle tap like is used to make threaded jam chucks will survive if it is used on metal. I want to re-tap my chuck insert, and did not know if I needed to try and find a tap that size, as I already have the beall.

Tom Wilson66
01-07-2011, 10:18 PM
The only way to tell is to contact the manufacturer. If the steel and tempering is not adequate, you can ruin the tap.

Ryan Baker
01-07-2011, 10:26 PM
I wouldn't try that with mine. It's likely not hard enough, and the tooth profile probably won't match either.

You didn't say WHY you want to try to retap your insert, but that probably isn't going to solve your problem very well anyway, and might even make it worse. If you are trying to clean up damaged threads, a rethreading tool or rethreading file (much less expensive) would do a better job. Of course, a new insert would likely be easier and cheaper.

Roger Chandler
01-07-2011, 10:54 PM
I just went out to the shop and did try it, and it did clean the threads up without damage to the tap. Thanks guys!

Art Kelly
01-07-2011, 11:35 PM
If you think you need to cut steel:eek: in the chuck threads, buy a real tap. Wholesale Tool has them on page 43 http://www.wttool.com/index/page/static/subpage/catalog_viewer_cutting_tools in a line of HSS imports as well as a line of U.S.-made taps.

I got mine somewhere else--probably Ace Hardware--but that can turn into a witch hunt unless it's a big Ace with industrial firms around that buy non-household items like this. I don't recall seeing loose big taps at Sears, but Lowes or BORG may have them.

If you're just chasing crud out of the chuck threads, use the Beall. If you wreck it, you'll have a reason to get a good tap.;) If your spindle is 1", it's a standard thread. 1"-8 UNC. I'll bow out if it's metric; that is probably standard, too, but nobody seems to call out the thread pitch on the 33mm.

$0.02
Art