PDA

View Full Version : My First "Hollow Form"..I think

Nate Davey
01-07-2011, 8:35 PM
Why is it every time I do something new and am all proud of it, John K. redefines masterpiece:confused::confused::confused::D

Anyways, finally got the lathe turning round again so tried out my new Sorby Medium Hollower on this piece of spalted Holly. It is uniformly 1/8' except for the base that I left a little thicker for weight. I also used my new Trend Airshield Pro. Sure is nice coming in the house able to breathe through my nose.

John K's spectacular Osage Ewer photo got me thinking about shooting without a flash as I don't have a photo tent. So, this is straight off the camera with cropping and resizing being the only editing. The photo gradient background is off my printer on 8.5x11 paper. F-stop 8, shutter speed 1 sec overhead fluorescent lights.

Candid Criticism and comments welcomed.

Christopher K. Hartley
01-07-2011, 8:46 PM
Nate, You've done this one proud as they say in Oklahoma. Don't feel that anyone else's work diminishes yours in any way. You done good!!:)

Michael James
01-07-2011, 8:46 PM
Nate I love those forms, good job on a really nice chunk of wood. I would go with a semi to flat finish on this one, but thats my preference for almost everything. Turn and learn. A lot of people have been encouraging me and I know that as long as I derive enjoyment, I will get better. We all will.

Roger Chandler
01-07-2011, 8:52 PM
Can I say WOW! Way to go Nate! That is a NICE HF! Good job, especially with hand held tools!

dan carter
01-07-2011, 9:01 PM
Nice HF. I like the shape.

Bernie Weishapl
01-07-2011, 9:10 PM
Nice piece Nate and I do like that form. Really well done.

John Keeton
01-07-2011, 9:57 PM
Nate, you absolutely nailed this one!! Excellent work. I like the little detail around the rim, and the wood is perfect. Great work, and you should be proud of this one.

On the photography, see what happens if you push the f-stop to 13+, and slow the shutter a little more. It should give you better depth of field, bringing the whole piece into focus. Also, I resize my pics to somewhere around 1024 x ?? depending on the crop, and then compress to 70%. Preserves pretty good detail, and usually gets me under the 107KB max.

Nate Davey
01-07-2011, 10:09 PM
John, f8 is the largest my aperture goes. My other choice is to put the camera in my underwater housing and use the macro lens........hmmm.... guess I'll go back out to the garage.

David E Keller
01-07-2011, 10:13 PM
Nice form, nice wood, nice photo... nice job!

As they say in Texas, "You done good!"

Steve Schlumpf
01-07-2011, 10:59 PM
Nate - that's a real good looking hollow form - especially for your first!

About the only critique I can offer is to post a few additional photos so folks can get a better idea of your turning. Also, next time try a side profile shot where you raise the camera just enough to see the opening. It is about the closest you can get to an undistorted view of the form.

Keep up the good work!

Steve Mawson
01-07-2011, 11:09 PM
Let me jump and agree with everyone else, really nice piece. Can you tell me how you did the gradient on regular paper? That sounds interesting as well

Baxter Smith
01-07-2011, 11:18 PM
Well done! I have roughed out several holly pieces this week that I tried to spalt over the summer. It had started to get too punky in spots but didn't have the nice color your piece has. What did you use for a finish?

Nate Davey
01-08-2011, 8:18 AM
Steve, I have a JPG I downloaded from Woodturners Resource. I simply print it our on my $57 Epson Photo printer from Sams. Some guys have recommended taking into Kinkos for a bigger version, but the one here wanted $90 to do it and they cost $34 online. This is the biggest I need for a lot of things.

David Reed
01-08-2011, 10:14 AM
I think you have done an excellent job with this piece. The rim treatments adds a lot to it yet subtle enough not to draw attention from the lovely features nature placed in this chunk of wood.

bob svoboda
01-08-2011, 10:58 AM
Very nice work.

Linda Persoon
01-08-2011, 11:35 AM
Very Impressive! Without reading the text I would have assumed your were experienced in HFs. Gives a newby inspiration! Thanks for posting.

Jim Burr
01-08-2011, 1:46 PM
That's some nice work Nate! But...may I ask what size is it? What kind of finish did you use? How did you print Gradient paper on your printer? I'm so nosy.

Nate Davey
01-08-2011, 1:55 PM
Jim, the form is 6"x1.5" and there is a single flood coat of WOP. I like it satin, so wont go too much further. About 4 posts up from this one is how I printed the Photo Gradient.

Roland Martin
01-08-2011, 2:42 PM
Excellent first HF, Nate. The form & the rim detail is very nice and a great piece of wood. Very well done!