PDA

View Full Version : Demo For Troubled kids

Joe Meirhaeghe
01-07-2011, 7:32 PM
We held demos today at our local turning club for troubled kids today. These were kids sentenced to a state run Detention Center. The facility brought a bus load of 23 troubled kids to our club. Many of these kids would be in prison if they weren't minors. The kids ranged from 12 to 17 yrs old. We were not able to take any pictures because of them being minors.
However it was a real rewarding day. I did a vase rough out, others did spindles, bowls, yo-yo's micro & full size goblets, & boxes.
Most of the kids seemed really interested & had lot's of questions. They spent a couple of hours with us then they went to a local Glass Blowing shop for a demo there.
I hope that we were able to give them some inspiration today.

David E Keller
01-07-2011, 7:33 PM
Good on you for taking the time.

Ken Fitzgerald
01-07-2011, 7:40 PM
I'm with David Joe! Good on you!

Often these kids come from some pretty disturbing backgrounds and opportunities like these are their first glimpse of normalcy.

One of our local fly fishing clubs does a similar day long event where kids from the local state childrens home spend the day learning to fly fish.

Good on you!

Brian Libby
01-07-2011, 7:57 PM
Great job. to many kids come from broken and uncaring families. We need to give them every opportunity possible. No young person should be labeled "a lost cause" and do nothing to help them.

Bernie Weishapl
01-07-2011, 9:19 PM
Great job giving those kids some hope and encouragement.

Nate Davey
01-07-2011, 9:21 PM
For most of those kids, that is probably the first time anyone has shown any interest in them. Congratulations, even if you only reach one it is totally worth it.

Roger Chandler
01-07-2011, 9:22 PM
HoooRay for you Joe! A noble gesture of giving that might just get a kids mind turned toward thing constructive and away from things destructive........God bless all of you who worked with this group!

Michael James
01-07-2011, 9:31 PM
Good job, Joe! I've worked with correctional adults and adolescents for a couple of decades. Folks are folks. You never know when you are going to connect with someone and get to watch them turn it around. It can't happen if no one gets involved.
mj

Steve Schlumpf
01-08-2011, 12:52 AM
Wow - what a wonderful and generous thing for you and your club to do! Thanks for sharing!

Joe Meirhaeghe
01-08-2011, 7:16 AM
HoooRay for you Joe! A noble gesture of giving that might just get a kids mind turned toward thing constructive and away from things destructive........God bless all of you who worked with this group!
Thanks Roger.
That was the main goal, to show there's things to do with their time that can be both creative & constructive. Also with glass & wood both being shown to them lets them know there are many options of which to get involved.

Steve Vaughan
01-08-2011, 8:20 AM
I'd venture to say that you have changed someone's life. Excellent!