PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly G 0698 lathe ??

Fred Belknap
01-07-2011, 4:12 PM
Do any of you that have the G 0698 lathe use Oneway chucks? I have a Talon and a Stronghold and neither will screw all the way against the flange. I talked to Grizzly about it and naturally they said the problem was the chuck. I was wondering if anyone else had this problem? :mad:

Roger Chandler
01-07-2011, 4:21 PM
Do any of you that have the G 0698 lathe use Oneway chucks? I have a Talon and a Stronghold and neither will screw all the way against the flange. I talked to Grizzly about it and naturally they said the problem was the chuck. I was wondering if anyone else had this problem? :mad:

Fred,

I use the SuperNova, and a SN2, and they don't seat completely against the flange on the spindle either. I ordered a new SN2 and should get it tomorrow, and an insert as well. Teknatool insert "L" is the one they recommend for our 1-1/4" spindle and reversing.

I think it is the chuck inserts, because my faceplates do seat all the way against the flange. Both the one that came with the lathe, and an aftermarket one from Easywoods. I am pretty sure it is the inserts and the way they are machined.

That being said, both my chucks do run true........I hope it is the same with the one I ordered also.

Also, on the inserts for the SN2, they have a flange that is machined in the shape of a bolt head so as to be able to tighten and remove with a wrench, and on one of those facets, there is a hole for the set screw that keeps the insert from loosening while reverse turning. I really believe it is the way the inserts are machined, and not anything to do with the spindle.

Rich Aldrich
01-07-2011, 6:31 PM
You could make a washer spacer to make the chuck seat. I am not comfortable that the chuck does not bottom out because the chuck could be a bear to remove. The spacer could be nylon or polyurethane like the washers that they sell so the chuck is easier to get off.

James Combs
01-07-2011, 8:01 PM
I think the point about the problem being the insert may be very valid. There is another thread on here about the same problem but on a Delta 46-460.

Harry Robinette
01-07-2011, 9:00 PM
Hi All
I don't have a remedy but I also don't see it being the insert if both company's are having the same trouble.Sounds like a spindle problem to me.Just MHO.
Harry

Nate Davey
01-07-2011, 9:05 PM
I just had an insert cost me a project and a week of not turning. I bought a dial indicator and verified that is was, in fact, the insert. I ensured I ordered an actual Techatools insert not an aftermarket POS.

Roger Chandler
01-07-2011, 9:10 PM
Hi All
I don't have a remedy but I also don't see it being the insert if both company's are having the same trouble.Sounds like a spindle problem to me.Just MHO.
Harry

Hi Harry,

I've had my G0698 for a year, and believe me, if you saw the set up then you would most likely agree with my assessment. The spindle is machined where it has a space between the threads and the flange that is flush with the headstock housing. When a face plate is mounted, it snugs up to touch that flange, and then the grub screws in the face plate can be tightened down on the spindle without touching the threads on the spindle itself.

The inserts are not long enough for the spindle, at least the ones with my SuperNova and SN2. Although they are tight, and all the thread is taken up by the insert, the grub screw on the insert when seated will hit the last thread on the spindle.

For that reason, I took a dremel tool with a pointed grinding stone, and made a small grind on that last thread where the grub screw seats, so as to not damage the threads on the spindle. It gives a positive lock up on the set screw, and one has to remember to back that set screw out when removing the chuck. A piece of tape with a reminder should be placed on top of the headstock as a reminder. I haven't done it yet, but the idea just came to me.

The face plate that came with the unit, and aftermarket face plates are all machined to fit up against the flange, and seat metal to metal.

Roger Chandler
01-07-2011, 9:46 PM
I was just reading Micheal James thread on his chuck and insert problem..........he did a fix with a die and re-reamed the thread [on the spindle, I think] and that got me thinking that when I put that insert in my SN2, that I noticed the threads inside the insert tapered out towards the end where it goes into the chuck.

I am thinking that I should find a 1-1/4 X 8 tpi tap, and re-thread the inside of the insert, cutting the threads a little deeper, and that would allow the insert to thread back totally to the flange on the spindle. The problem is definitely the insert.........mine is not threaded all the way on the inside, and is not allowing it to seat against the flange.

I wish I had thought of this sooner, but my chuck does run true, and it has not caused me any problems, but still a properly machined insert would allow for the correct mating of the metal surfaces of the spindle and the insert.

Thanks Micheal for your picture, because the light went on in my head! ;):D

earl timmons
01-07-2011, 10:59 PM
I have a three year old Laguna version of this lathe. I had the same problem three years ago. The problem is not the insert it is the spindle. This lathe has a metric history and many things (one being the banjo hole) have not been converted to inch very well. The spindle has the same problem. I have included a picture of my spindle with a red arrow pointing at a shoulder that is located just before the seating surface for the chuck. This shoulder is just a very little larger than the opening in the insert and therefore the insert binds when the chuck is spun on the spindle. I turned the lathe on at slow speed (mine runs nicely at 50 rpm) and held a file lightly to the shoulder and in no time reduced it enough that the insert would pass over it. The chuck seats firmly with a nice Thunk and there is no runout. Roger I know the face plate does not have the problem it simply has a little larger bore before the threads.

The bad news is that the safety set screw will line up so that it only sits partly on the shoulder and when tightened will lightly nick the shoulder but the set screw holds well. I know this because a newbie tried to remove the chuck without backing out the set screw ouchhhhhhhhhhhhhhh ! This lttle nick has not interfered with the chuck seating.

Roger Chandler
01-07-2011, 11:03 PM
Okay, I went to the shop, and took my 1-1/4" x 8 tpi beall spindle tap [supposed to be for wood, did not damage it, thankfully] and cleaned up the threads on the insert. I took the insert out of the chuck and made sure I ran the tap through completely out the other end 2 times. I did get some shavings and the tap did work to clean up the insert threads, which I thought might not allow it to seat all the way.

I think there is a machining issue with the insert, because it still won't seat all the way, it is better, but only by a hair, but looks as if the insert is just machined not to allow it to seat past the threads on the spindle.

My two face plates.......the one that came with the lathe [from China] and the one made in the USA by Easy Wood tools, has all the same thread as the spindle, but it goes all the way to the flange and seats with no gap at all. The grub screws on both will tighten down on the area just behind the last thread on both face plates as well. It is the insert, not the lathe spindle on the G0698.

Roger Chandler
01-07-2011, 11:20 PM
I have a three year old Laguna version of this lathe. I had the same problem three years ago. The problem is not the insert it is the spindle. This lathe has a metric history and many things (one being the banjo hole) have not been converted to inch very well. The spindle has the same problem. I have included a picture of my spindle with a red arrow pointing at a shoulder that is located just before the seating surface for the chuck. This shoulder is just a very little larger than the opening in the insert and therefore the insert binds when the chuck is spun on the spindle. I turned the lathe on at slow speed (mine runs nicely at 50 rpm) and held a file lightly to the shoulder and in no time reduced it enough that the insert would pass over it. The chuck seats firmly with a nice Thunk and there is no runout. Roger I know the face plate does not have the problem it simply has a little larger bore before the threads.

The bad news is that the safety set screw will line up so that it only sits partly on the shoulder and when tightened will lightly nick the shoulder but the set screw holds well. I know this because a newbie tried to remove the chuck without backing out the set screw ouchhhhhhhhhhhhhhh ! This lttle nick has not interfered with the chuck seating.

Okay Earl,

When I was just out to the shop, I also noticed that the shoulder of the insert would not go all the way over the gap between the threads and the flange. It seems you have come up with a fix, but one would think that the chuck manufacturer, in my case Teknatool, would properly machine the shoulder to go over the spindle. That being said, another fix would be to ream out the insert shoulder, and not touch the spindle, but taking some off the spindle might be easier,

If one had more than one chuck they could use the smallest jaws to go inside the insert, and turn the insert around and let the lathe spin it while filing away the shoulder a bit on the insert, and not have to work on the spindle. I guess it depends on which one would like to alter the least.......if I could, it would be the insert for sure, as they are replaceable much more cheaply in case something went wrong!

Thanks Earl for posting this, as it is a big help! Maybe we have a fairly easy fix for a machining problem somewhere in china, as both the lathe and my supernova inserts are made in china.

earl timmons
01-07-2011, 11:36 PM
Roger my chuck is a SN2 as well and I understand your point about a preference for which one you would like to machine at home. The spindle was simply easier. From my view the insert fits on a lot of PM, Jet, General, etc etc and the SN2 and its insert were there before my Laguna. If I owned the spindle design I think I would not expect existing SN2 owners to modify their chuck inserts (or buy new ones) for my new kid on the block lathe.

After three years experience with the lathe and turning everything from 17 inch diameter 6 inch thick wet oak bowls to pens I am happy with the lathe. But if I owned the design I would change the lathe :cool:

Roger Chandler
01-08-2011, 6:43 AM
Roger my chuck is a SN2 as well and I understand your point about a preference for which one you would like to machine at home. The spindle was simply easier. From my view the insert fits on a lot of PM, Jet, General, etc etc and the SN2 and its insert were there before my Laguna. If I owned the spindle design I think I would not expect existing SN2 owners to modify their chuck inserts (or buy new ones) for my new kid on the block lathe.

After three years experience with the lathe and turning everything from 17 inch diameter 6 inch thick wet oak bowls to pens I am happy with the lathe. But if I owned the design I would change the lathe :cool:

I understand. My thinking was for a guy who did not want to possibly risk damage to the spindle and to perhaps void his warranty, then the alteration of the insert might be the safest way to go. I think I have figured a way to hold the insert with my other chuck and I will give my method a try. If It works then I will post. My G0698 has been great so far. I could not have asked for better performance.

Thanks Earl!

Michelle Rich
01-08-2011, 7:28 AM
Roger, I hate to pipe in now, but I have had this on two lathes. I made a plywood spacer and just kept going. Cheap, easy and no problems involved. Xtra bennie was that the chuck was easy to spin off. I like simple fixes.

Roger Chandler
01-08-2011, 7:37 AM
Roger, I hate to pipe in now, but I have had this on two lathes. I made a plywood spacer and just kept going. Cheap, easy and no problems involved. Xtra bennie was that the chuck was easy to spin off. I like simple fixes.

Michelle,

We guys tend to crawl under the hood, and tear the motor down, :eek: and then when we are half way into it, realize it was just a spark plug in the first place!:D Then we need a gentler voice to pull us back from the Tim, the "Tool Man" Taylor syndrome [arh, arh arh....MORE POWER! :eek:

Thank you for your suggestion. This issue is not critical, in fact, my chuck runs true, and I have been using it this way since I got this lathe, so it is really no issue at all. I am one of those guys who are a stickler for precision, and this was not machined correctly, so who knows, I just may correct it myself, so that the precision of what is "supposed to be," actually is!

I know, Men! and their toys! :D:D:D:D:D;)

Fred Belknap
01-08-2011, 8:00 AM
Guys thanks for the replies. It has given me some things to check and possible fixes. Earl your idea may be the best way for me, I will mike out that flange today.
Roger my oneway inserts are threaded all the way through except at the back where the set screws fit so i don't see how I can modify that.
I have considered a spacer, thinking of getting one machined to insure that it is flat.
Grizzly so far hasn't been very helpful, the teck was to check with management and call me back. Still waiting.:(:(

Roger Wilson
01-08-2011, 10:04 AM
Here's a very inexpensive nylon spindle washer that I use:

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2021098/24739/AntiLock-Lathe-Spindle-Washer-114.aspx

James Combs
01-08-2011, 10:23 AM
I just had an insert cost me a project and a week of not turning. I bought a dial indicator and verified that is was, in fact, the insert. I ensured I ordered an actual Techatools insert not an aftermarket POS.

Earlier I posted about believing the problem to be the insert and I am still leaning that way. Michael James solved his similar problem by chasing the threads on his spindle but I am of the opinion he should not have had to do that nor should Earl Timmons have to polish his spindle with a file. I think it will be interesting when Nate gets his new Teknatool insert to replace his apparently third party one. I have also had bad experience with 3rd party adapters such as it appears several folks may have gotten with their new Nova chucks. Early on I purchased a PSI adapter ($16) that adapted 1.25" 8Tpi down to 1" 8Tpi. It had all kinds of run out. I eventually replaced it with another similar one from Best Wood Tools ($65). It had absolutely no detectable run-out so as far as I am concerned you get what you pay for.

BTW I have a Grizzly G0658 lathe with 1"-8Tpi thread and three Nova chucks and all the chucks seat solidly against the spindle shoulder.

Nate Davey
01-08-2011, 12:18 PM
I will say the quality of the Techna versus the third party was noticeable. You certainly get what you pay for.

Roger Chandler
01-08-2011, 1:59 PM
I think I am going to try to open up the shoulder on the insert I have. I have the Teknatool inserts, and have a new one coming in today by Fedex. I will try that one first, but think I will open the shoulder a little by mounting it in my other chuck and cutting away just a little in the shoulder area.

I will let you guys know how it works, but it will probably be Monday or Tuesday before I have time to get to it.

Fred Belknap
01-08-2011, 2:14 PM
I followed Earls advise and shaved down the flange on the spindle. I set the micrometer to the outside diameter of the flange and the other side has the same inside measurement. The inside would not go into the threaded adapter. I tried a file and was afraid I would damage the threads so I took the diamond sharpening thing out of a planer touch up tool and it was the right size to fit the flange without damaging anything. Didn't take much and the chuck slipped right on. As Earl said it probably has something to do with metric conversions. The after market tool rest I had wouldn't fit the banjo and I ran a 1" drill bit on the DP through it and that fixed that problem. To bad Grizzly doesn't correct these things, save a lot of headaches. Thanks for the help.

Roger Chandler
01-08-2011, 2:26 PM
I followed Earls advise and shaved down the flange on the spindle. I set the micrometer to the outside diameter of the flange and the other side has the same inside measurement. The inside would not go into the threaded adapter. I tried a file and was afraid I would damage the threads so I took the diamond sharpening thing out of a planer touch up tool and it was the right size to fit the flange without damaging anything. Didn't take much and the chuck slipped right on. As Earl said it probably has something to do with metric conversions. The after market tool rest I had wouldn't fit the banjo and I ran a 1" drill bit on the DP through it and that fixed that problem. To bad Grizzly doesn't correct these things, save a lot of headaches. Thanks for the help.

Good deal, Fred! :)

Dave MacArthur
01-08-2011, 6:33 PM
First post:
Yesterday 2:12 PM

Today 6:00 AM

Grizzly so far hasn't been very helpful, the teck was to check with management and call me back. Still waiting.:(:(

Seriously Fred? They should have reached mgt on Friday afternoon and gotten back to you by Sat at 6 in the morning? I know you may have called them prior to posting, but it sure sounds like unrealistic expectations the way your phrased it! Even the harshest taskmaster for customer service probably lets them go home and sleep on Fri night ;)

Glad to hear you were able to tweak it to work, and I appreciate your post for sure, as I'm watching that Griz to see how new owners like yourself like it... and I'm not that experienced, probably wouldn't have even noticed the chuck should have grounded out!

Fred Belknap
01-08-2011, 8:12 PM
[QUOTE=Dave MacArthur;1604829]First post:
Yesterday 2:12 PM

Today 6:00 AM

Seriously Fred? They should have reached mgt on Friday afternoon and gotten back to you by Sat at 6 in the morning? I know you may have called them prior to posting, but it sure sounds like unrealistic expectations the way your phrased it! Even the harshest taskmaster for customer service probably lets them go home and sleep on Fri night ;)

(I called earlier in the week. I'm not a Grizzly basher, I have quite a bit of their equipment including two lathes. It does tick me off when someone tell me they will call and don't.)

Roger Chandler
01-10-2011, 4:21 PM
I took the tip from Earl Timmons and reduced the size of the spindle shoulder a little on my G0698, and now my inserts fit flush on the flange of the spindle. I did however also open up the shoulder on one of my Teknatool inserts as well. After reducing the shoulder on the spindle a little, one of my inserts still would not mount up flush with the flange. Turns out that the inserts are not all the same size. I think the machining specs on the inserts is as sloppy as anything could be said about a spindle.

Inserts should be very precise, but mine are different, even from the same company. I do however like my SuperNova and my 2 SN2 chucks, and I think these manufacturer's should get it right the first time! :mad:

Thanks Fred, for posting on this question, as it has given me some better lockups on my chuck, and thanks Earl, for sharing the adjustment for getting this like it should be. It was a very simple fix, and whoever said it was likely the metric conversion that did not get exactly right is probably correct in their assessment.