PDA

View Full Version : Hidden Treasure - The Lost Vein

John Keeton
01-07-2011, 2:52 PM
A few weeks ago, I received a gracious gift from David Reed (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?153708-Thanks-David-Reed!!-It-must-be-Christmas-already!) of a large chunk of Big Leaf Maple burl. David had trimmed it to fit precisely in a large flat rate box!

Recently, I had purchased some copper leaf, and really wanted to use it on something. I recalled David's burl had some significant bark inclusions, and decided it would be perfect to do a vein of copper in a turning. I included a little in spots around the rim to carry the copper up.

12" wide (actually 6" from center, as the NE is not uniform), and 5.25" tall. The foot is 3.25". This is the third foot. The first was just under 4" (1/3 the opening), but it visually appeared too wide. As did the second one at about 3.5". I suspect it is the combination of the NE and the void that creates the illusion.

I used Transtint Brown Mahogany dye, faded to the bottom (darker rim.) The first coat of finish was BLO/shellac mix used to wet sand followed by several coats of shellac. Ultimately, it was wet (oil) sanded level with 400 grit. Final buffing was with 0000 steel wool.

I am very pleased with this finish, as I wanted a satin look to contrast with the copper. In addition, the burl distorted, as it often does, in the bottom of the bowl, and a gloss finish would have accentuated that.

This one is certainly different, but let me know what you think!

Bernie Weishapl
01-07-2011, 2:55 PM
That is really a nice bowl John. Love the wood and color.

Lee Koepke
01-07-2011, 3:02 PM
I like the finish on that. The copper looks like it grew there. That void musta been fun to turn around.

bob svoboda
01-07-2011, 3:02 PM
Very nice, John. The dye really worked wonders with that crazy grain-the copper works well with that color.

Tim Thiebaut
01-07-2011, 3:03 PM
I think this is beautiful! There are many great turnings on this site, but as far as "artisitic" turnings, you are one of the top here.

Joe Aliperti
01-07-2011, 3:07 PM
Another beautiful piece! Love the form and the finish.

Did you turn this one on the little Delta?

Gary Max
01-07-2011, 3:08 PM
John--- I like that and I ain't a big fan of dyed or painted woods. Just enough to make the grain jump---very nice.

Roger Chandler
01-07-2011, 3:34 PM
That is surely some beautiful grain in that burl! Did you shade with your airbrush system? This is a real nice turning, excellently executed as usual, and surely a display of your considerable skill and flair for the eclectic.

I am one who is drawn to symmetry and bark inclusions for the most part I personally prefer to turn out, :eek: but this burl does not lend itself to that, and actually in this case enhances the piece. I don't have my mind as of yet wrapped around the copper addition............I will have to chew on that one a while, and study your pics some more.

I probably almost committed blasphemy :eek: for a turners forum, when I said what I did about bark inclusions...........I just think they most of the time look like defects and not enhancements, but they do work on some pieces. It does for this one, as one cannot and would not desire to molest such a great figured piece of burl.

Real nice John! :)

Bob Bergstrom
01-07-2011, 3:59 PM
At first I was a little confuse by what I thought was a reflection of light on the rim. Then it dawned on me, thats the copper. Great color and use of dyes to bring out the burl. In the first picture I would have liked the base to curve in a little more. To my eye the curve dives a little too much into the table. Pictures really don't do this bowl justlce. I would love to see the effect of the copper in person.

charlie knighton
01-07-2011, 4:22 PM
very nice....

Cathy Schaewe
01-07-2011, 4:42 PM
Beautiful. Too bad it won't hold ice cream. :D
Seriously, that is a gorgeous piece of wood, the coloring is perfect, and the copper sets it off beautifully.

Doug W Swanson
01-07-2011, 4:42 PM
Very cool! The copper is not overdone and really complements the staining in the wood. Another fine work of art from Mr Keeton!

Steve Schlumpf
01-07-2011, 4:46 PM
Well Mr. President - you have another winner! Love the color, the burl and your judicious use of copper! (inside joke!) Reminds me of a museum quality gold ore specimen! The ones in a glass case with the spotlights on them! Pretty cool! Looking forward to seeing what you come up with next!

Roger Chandler
01-07-2011, 4:57 PM
Well Mr. President -

Steve, Did JK get elected to something?

Tim Rinehart
01-07-2011, 5:12 PM
Very nice John. A judicious amount of copper for that piece without overdoing it. Nice flow to outside of the piece, looks like a nice form to hold, as ones like this typically are.

Steve Schlumpf
01-07-2011, 5:16 PM
Yup - but I'll let John fill in the details!

Don Alexander
01-07-2011, 5:19 PM
I am one who is drawn to symmetry and bark inclusions for the most part I personally prefer to turn out, :eek: but this burl does not lend itself to that, and actually in this case enhances the piece...............I probably almost committed blasphemy :eek: for a turners forum, when I said what I did about bark inclusions...........I just think they most of the time look like defects and not enhancements, but they do work on some pieces. It does for this one, as one cannot and would not desire to molest such a great figured piece of burl.

for utilitarian pieces maybe bark inclusions look like defects , however in an art piece they look like design opportunities :D and in the hands of an artisan of Mr. Keeton's ability that can only be a good thing

Jeff Luedloff
01-07-2011, 5:31 PM
Very Beautiful John. Excellent design, turning, and photography!

Jack Mincey
01-07-2011, 5:32 PM
WOW John, words can't do that piece justice. WOW
Jack

Steve Vaughan
01-07-2011, 5:41 PM
That is very, very cool looking! I love the wood and copper, great idea!

Roger Chandler
01-07-2011, 5:54 PM
for utilitarian pieces maybe bark inclusions look like defects , however in an art piece they look like design opportunities :D and in the hands of an artisan of Mr. Keeton's ability that can only be a good thing

Yeah Don, I know.........I love some of the stuff I see, and as far as I know I have never seen anything John K. has done that was not absolutely first rate..........that is just my own preference as to what I think is pretty........but that is not a blanket rule, there have been many exceptions I have seen that rate so high, even though they did have bark inclusions. Just my own preference!

Don Alexander
01-07-2011, 6:56 PM
"most of all, to your own self be true" i can't remember who said it first but it wasn't me :D

David E Keller
01-07-2011, 7:07 PM
Very nice... I'm a sucker for natural voids and openings, so this piece is right up my alley. At first, I didn't know what to make of the copper accents, but after studying the piece for a bit, I think the copper really adds something to the overall appeal. I don't know if the copper leaf will patina, but if it does, I think the piece will become even more attractive with time. Lovely work!

dan carter
01-07-2011, 7:16 PM
Certainly the metal adds a touch of class to a very pretty rustic bowl. The top down shading works well.

James Combs
01-07-2011, 7:57 PM
A beautiful piece due to some nice work. You known? I just got through reading a coring thread and I would bet that a piece like this cored could pay for a coring system by it's self. Just think of all the wasted burl from the middle of that form.

David Warkentin
01-07-2011, 8:00 PM
Very nice Mr. Keeton. David

Harry Robinette
01-07-2011, 8:06 PM
John
What can I say,You got the fell and that just makes it all work. Really nice piece John.
Harry

Jim Pavlicin
01-07-2011, 8:09 PM
WOW!!! Nice wood nice bowl

Michael James
01-07-2011, 8:18 PM
You are just batting 1000 here amigo....I dont know what else to say! Another beautiful, one of a kind fer sure piece! Congratulations......again.
mj

Christopher K. Hartley
01-07-2011, 8:36 PM
John, this is a classic piece. Great work on this one.:)

Roger Chandler
01-07-2011, 8:58 PM
Yup - but I'll let John fill in the details!

Okay, Mr. President,

We request the honor of being clued in on the honor that was evidently bestowed upon our Moderator................:confused:

Steve let the cat out of the bag, but we just don't know what kind of cat it is........;)

John Keeton
01-07-2011, 9:41 PM
Thanks to all for the kind words. This one is different, for sure, and probably doesn't appeal to some folks. But, I have a difficult time sticking to the norm.
In the first picture I would have liked the base to curve in a little more. To my eye the curve dives a little too much into the table.Bob, I have seen variations of the "ogee" with larger "bellies", and they do seem to work in some applications. But, I really prefer a true ogee where the opposing radii are equal, and this one is extremely close to that. I guess it is one of those personal preference things.

Did you turn this one on the little Delta?Joe, it is the only option available to me! Well, I guess there is the drill press!:eek:

Just think of all the wasted burl from the middle of that form.Ms. Keeton looked at this when I had the outside turned and asked "isn't there some way to not waste the middle of that?" I should have jumped on that with both feet - but, I let it pass - for now!;)

Okay, Mr. President,

We request the honor of being clued in on the honor that was evidently bestowed upon our Moderator................:confused:

Steve let the cat out of the bag, but we just don't know what kind of cat it is........;)At our local club meeting last month, I was informed that I had been elected director. At the meeting last night, I was nominated for President, and a motion was immediately made that nominations cease. I could feel the rope burns on my neck from the lynching mob!! I think I was set up!;):D But, it should be fun, and I am looking forward to it!

I like the finish on that. The copper looks like it grew there. That void musta been fun to turn around.Lee, nothing a few straps of tape won't fix!;) There was a very small bridge of wood just above the bark inclusion. When I got down about halfway the void, I noticed a sudden change in the movement of the piece. Stopped the lathe and checked the "bridge." It had broken, so that is when I sprayed some shellac on both sides, gave it a few minutes, taped it closed and put the CA to it! Smooth running from there on out.

Thomas Canfield
01-07-2011, 9:46 PM
Nice looking John. What lathe did you turn this on???? I thought you only had a midi lathe, and this looks like it would be a challenge with the unbalance on a smaller lathe. Is there a story there?

Pierce Davidson
01-07-2011, 9:52 PM
Are you kidding me? What in the world is wrong with you people? Are you all BLIND????? Hasn't anybody noticed the hole in the side? Why, I'm tell'n ya! Fill that bowl with gravy and you'll have a mess on your hands. I can only imagine what ma is gonna say when ya'll are dribbling gravy all over her linen table cloth.

Just kidding! That bowl is a masterpiece, turned by a Master Turner. Just beautiful!

John Keeton
01-07-2011, 10:01 PM
Pierce, Thomas, thanks for the comments! I bandsawed the burl round. At 12" it barely cleared the ways on my Delta 46-460. It was out of balance throughout the whole turn, but I just kept playing with the speed as I turned to keep it in a sweet spot where the vibration was minimal.

Baxter Smith
01-07-2011, 11:43 PM
Very nice John. I like the gentle curves. (Less is more for me on a lot of things!:))
The copper is a nice touch and as David said, may improve with age.

Curt Fuller
01-07-2011, 11:51 PM
Holy Smokes that's pretty! I can't decide what I like better, the copper or the graduated coloring. Both really enhance what would have been a beautiful piece even if just left natural. You mentioned that you worked a little extra on the foot making it smaller each time. I think you could have even gone a little smaller, even down to 2". Just one more opinion, but I think on these light and airy, non functional pieces a very small foot even makes them look more delicate. Did I mention how pretty I think that is?

Oh, and congratulations on your jump into politics, Mr. President.

Mike Cruz
01-08-2011, 12:10 AM
Ya know, John, most of us try to get the metal OUT of the wood...

Another beautiful piece. Even if it is a bowl...from a guy that doesn't "do" bowls...

Steve LaFara
01-08-2011, 1:00 AM
Mr. Keeton....I think that I have you to blame for wanting to get in to this vortex of unendless spending! Every piece of yours that I see inspires me and I only hope that I can acheive a portion of what you have been able to do in a very short time.

Simply stunning!

Bill Hensley
01-08-2011, 6:47 AM
Beautiful piece John. I get inspired every time you share your latest results.

Michelle Rich
01-08-2011, 7:22 AM
It has grace & presence. I like this as the dye is not as dark as some of your previous pieces. I think the lighter color helps with the lift of the piece, and gives it a more delicate look. IMHO Thanks for sharing with us

Dale Bright
01-08-2011, 7:45 AM
John, this is a wonderful piece of work from a very good looking piece of wood. You done did real good!!!!

Dale

Roland Martin
01-08-2011, 8:03 AM
John, this is an absolutely gorgeous piece of BLM and the dye, IMO, is perfectly graduated and seems to enhance the lift. You've achieved a very graceful flow to a rather large piece and the finish suits this turning very well. Very nice John and thanks for sharing.

Greg Just
01-08-2011, 8:54 AM
John:

That piece is beautiful - one of your best. What in the world do you do with everything you turn? Every room of your house must be filled with your art. Thanks for sharing.

David Reed
01-08-2011, 10:51 AM
I can add little to the gracious comments left regarding the beauty and grace imparted in this form, that has never stopped me before.
The applied tinting brings out an almost haunting feeling to the entire piece with the subtle use of copper highlights glowing like stars in the twilight sky. I am happy to be have contributed the material for such a stunning art form and am happy that this piece of burl has the figure we had hoped for. I always want to orient the wood so that the 'eyes' of the rays in the burl are revealed and too often allow this to shape my pieces. You have produced a wonderful design both in shape and finish so that the features of the wood complement the form rather than dominating it and not allowing the wood to dictate the shape and orientation. I like how you preserved and developed the natural edge. Aren't those inclusions a real treat to work with? Actually I find that hollowing with large voids like this simplify the process allowing me to observe the cutting tool as it carves away the interior of the piece watching the wall thickness as it spins.
I think the size of the base is just fine and the development of the ogee is perfect. The slight flare I see on the foot is just slightly distracting to my eye.
Just one more example in which you have displayed your talents in harmony with natures magnificence in such a striking manner.

John Keeton
01-08-2011, 1:51 PM
Thanks for the additional comments, and a huge thanks to you, David, for providing me the opportunity to turn this beautiful piece of wood. It was a joy to turn, and yes, the voids kind of add to the excitement level. About midway through the inside, I picked out as much of the bark inclusion as I could to hold down on the shrapnel!! I could not have done this one without you!

BTW, the small foot actually rolls back in slightly on the bottom, but that doesn't show well in the pics.

Jon Lanier
01-08-2011, 3:54 PM
Very sweet, Indeed!

Jon Nuckles
01-08-2011, 4:02 PM
Your work is consistently amazing. As a newbie, I am alternately inspired by what is possible and intimidated by how far I have to go before even attempting something like this. Guess I'll just have to save the pictures to the hard drive for "someday."

Kieran Kammerer
01-08-2011, 5:53 PM
John,
Beautiful and inspiring piece as always. I am continually amazed at your creativity. Kieran

gary Zimmel
01-08-2011, 8:30 PM
One more winner for the shelf John...

Rick Markham
02-04-2012, 11:07 AM
Wow, this is a spectacular piece John! (sorry I missed it for so long, school is keeping me busy) I love the foot, (well I love the whole thing) but the foot really is the perfect touch. Very elegant sir!

Cory Norgart
02-04-2012, 11:38 AM
John, very nice piece, , the form, the finish, and I really like the void as part of the natural piece. I am currently working on a similar piece out of BA Burl, a different form, but a couple of open natural flaws.. I find hollowing is very tricky on not catching the flaws.....

Eric Holmquist
02-04-2012, 11:49 AM
Amazing! The copper leave works really well with the piece. The form, figure and color all come together perfectly.

Nate Davey
02-04-2012, 12:45 PM
Spectacular job John. Beautiful ogee and the extra work on the base paid off. Another example of the Golden Mean as a start point and not a hard fast "law".

Dan Forman
02-04-2012, 1:45 PM
John --- I think you have outdone yourself with this piece! I really like the concept, and you have pulled it off brilliantly. The copper looks very much at home on and "in" the form, very organic, much more so than things such as turquoise. Do you think it will develop a patina being under the finish, or maintain it's brightness? The foot looks just right to me, and I the fading of the dye is a nice touch.

Dan

Russell Eaton
02-04-2012, 1:58 PM
John I don't know how I missed this when you posted it, but it is stunning. Thanks for showing it.

Ken Glass
02-04-2012, 2:03 PM
John,
I like the color, it is a departure from the usual look of BLM. I also like the amount of copper used which you used because it is not overbearing or a large amount in any one area. How did you tool the copper leaf into the bowl? A well thought out plan well executed. Nice one, John

Allan Ferguson
02-04-2012, 3:05 PM
I really like the color shading. The whole thing is exceptional.

Alan Trout
02-04-2012, 3:26 PM
John,

That is a wonderful piece and challenging to turn to boot. I must have missed it the first time.

Well Done,

Alan

John Beaver
02-04-2012, 3:29 PM
The foot is 3.25". This is the third foot. The first was just under 4" (1/3 the opening), but it visually appeared too wide. As did the second one at about 3.5". I suspect it is the combination of the NE and the void that creates the illusion.

John, Beautiful piece of wood, and you definitely did it justice.

Making the foot smaller and smaller reminds me of your post on ogee curves that I neglected to comment on. For me one of the issues with ogee curves is the bottom half of the curve bulges out, forcing the bottom to naturally look heavy. I like artistic vessels to tuck into a small foot to give the vessel lift and delicacy. The ogee does just the opposite of this, and while it find it attractive, especially on low flat bowls, on taller vessels the foot has to be made extra small to compensate for the outward bulge. Your eye for good form shows through here. By going to almost 1/4 the diameter of the opening you have helped this bowl immensely and succeeded in making it graceful.

Bill Wyko
02-04-2012, 5:58 PM
WOW John, that is absolutely georgous! I'm surprised I'm jumping in so late. You are a true artist my friend. well done sir.

John Keeton
02-04-2012, 8:31 PM
You guys really resurrected an old one - but thanks for all the additional comments and kind words!! Ken, the copper leaf is exceedingly easy to apply - just apply adhesive wherever you want leaf, then lay on the leaf and press it on with a soft brush. It does need to be sealed to prevent oxidation.

Don Alexander
02-05-2012, 2:40 AM
this piece is just as gorgeous the 2nd time around , never get tired of looking at it