PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly Rosewood Spokeshaves?

Bob Stroupe
01-07-2011, 12:50 PM
I was just looking around on the Grizzly website and saw a couple of rosewood spokeshaves, labeled as new, with the blade sitting at a high angle like most metal bodied shaves.
What do you think of them? Has anyone tried them out yet?

Jim Koepke
01-07-2011, 1:16 PM
Having bought a pair of old Stanley spokeshaves that work fine and having a pair of cheap spoke shaves that are not even worthy of landfill status, I would be reluctant to try an unknown.

If Grizzly has a good return policy, then I might give them a try. I would also consider how well a modern tool can be made for that price.

My Stanley spoke shaves were about $25 each.

jtk

David Weaver
01-07-2011, 1:28 PM
They are likely mujingfang origin. they are probably very high quality shaves with hard to sharpen (but extremely long lasting) irons.

I have never used those, but I do have one of the muji low angle shaves. It's a good shave. A little more crude in finish than premium tools, and the iron required some prep, but a very nice shave to actually use.

If you don't mind setting irons with a hammer and a wedge, I'd not be afraid to give one of those a try.

James Scheffler
01-07-2011, 6:52 PM
They are likely mujingfang origin.

I just noticed tonight that in the latest catalog, Grizzly has a two-page spread of planes and spokeshaves similar to mujingfang ones I've seen elsewhere.

They also now sell some of the new "premium" Stanley planes, Shop Fox versions of the old Stanley shoulder planes, Shop Fox block planes for $89.95 that look like the LN ones, as well as some other inexpensive planes they've been selling for a while. I'm not vouching for any of it, but it looks like Grizzly is getting the hand tool religion....

Jim S.