PDA

View Full Version : Modest dressertop jewelry box

alex grams
01-07-2011, 11:42 AM
A two weekend project, not bad for really doing a box like this for the first time. I still have a lot to still learn when it comes to boxes. Was a Christmas gift for the Mother-In-Law.

Curly Maple top, Cherry frame, Walnut drawer front lined in maple, and the main box frame is walnut, along with the splines. The pictures don't show it, but on a smaller piece you need to put a lot more focus on cleaning up machining and hand tooling marks that would go unnoticed on a larger piece of work, I missed doing that in a few places, but live and learn!

Jim Rimmer
01-07-2011, 11:55 AM
Great looking box. I am curious about the "lining" of walnut. Did you glue it to the outer wood and then make the box or is it a separate box inerted into the outer box? I am going to try something like that and am just not sure about the priocess.

alex grams
01-07-2011, 12:00 PM
I made the frame first, then mitered in walnut with dado's for sliding in the section dividers. This way it also acts as a snug fit for the lid when it closes. It is hard to see from the photo's, but I also put a small chamfer/bevel on the outside of the walnut so that the top slides smoothly over it when closing.

Gene Waara
01-07-2011, 3:19 PM
Very nice. I'll be starting my first boxes soon - already thinking Xmas for next year. Time to put all the book/forum knowledge to work. If it comes out anywhere near as nice as yours I'll be a happy camper!