PDA

View Full Version : Blankety blank Snow plow guy

Dave Anderson NH
01-09-2005, 9:21 AM
I decided not to get the mail or snowblow the driveway yesterday afternoon or last night since I was busy in the shop. I happened to glance out the window early this morning and my blood pressure went thru the roof. Yup, my mailbox got bit by the snowplow guy. Mail soaked and scattered in the snowbank on the street, pieces of the pole, arm, and assorted stuff scattered around. I suppose I'm lucky since he didn't sheer it off at the base, but I'm still aggravated and it looks like I have a newly minted project for today.

Anyone know how low a temperature I can get epoxy to set at? The upper part of the shaft is fixable only by glueing and screwing due to the scarf like shattering break.

Glenn Clabo
01-09-2005, 9:31 AM
Dave...It stinks when your day to planned for you by someone else...

RE: Epoxy set temperature = what kind you have. I have "FlashEpoxy 581" for metal sitting in front of me that goes down to -20F. But strenght is of course related to temp and cure rate. I'd punch in yours into google to get the specs.

Rob Russell
01-09-2005, 9:33 AM
In my town, when the snowplow takes out a mailbox, the town fixes/replaces it.

Lou Morrissette
01-09-2005, 10:30 AM
Dave,

I would have thought that up in New Hampshah you would have a swinging arm on your mailbox. Doesn't that p***s you off.:D :D

Lou

Ken Garlock
01-09-2005, 1:40 PM
I would call up the city/county/township(select one) and point out that there are federal laws against tampering with the mail. Then explain that you will not report them if they fix it in the next 48 hours. Or, they could pay a skilled craftsman, like yourself, $500 to repair it.

BTW, I live on a Texas state highway, and the state installs and maintains the mailbox pole(I buy the box). If it gets bent or "messed" with, I call up the state highway dept. and they are out that day or the next to fix it. :cool:

Dave Anderson NH
01-09-2005, 6:16 PM
Well I figured that by the time I got one of the selectmen to answer the phone or get something done about the mailbox it would be a few days. I fixed it myself with some epoxy and some screws. Only took about an hour after things were dried off. I'll report it just so they'll know I made a complaint. When I went out around Noon to run some errands I noticed that the plow got at least 4 other boxes on the street. I'm sure that other folks will make their displeasure known.

Gary Max
01-09-2005, 7:13 PM
Dave it time to get together with your neighbors.
If you call the right person at city hall you folks just might get the plow driver to come down and fix them.
Now admit it --you would love to watch him replace the pole and box.

Jeff Sudmeier
01-10-2005, 2:03 PM
WOW, I know that they have to push back the snow, but come on! 4 mailboxes! I have complained every year because the idiot that does our snow first plows like normal, pushes it to the edge of the roadway. Then you are supposed to raise your blade up to push the snow back so that you don't tear up the whole yard, nope, he lets it scrape along the road and tears up everyone's yards!

FYI my dad works for the county, so I am not clueless on the job that they have to do. Even he was shocked that the guy wouldn't raise up the blade 2 inches to push the snow back into my yard.

Rob Russell
01-10-2005, 4:40 PM
WOW, I know that they have to push back the snow, but come on! 4 mailboxes! I have complained every year because the idiot that does our snow first plows like normal, pushes it to the edge of the roadway. Then you are supposed to raise your blade up to push the snow back so that you don't tear up the whole yard, nope, he lets it scrape along the road and tears up everyone's yards!

FYI my dad works for the county, so I am not clueless on the job that they have to do. Even he was shocked that the guy wouldn't raise up the blade 2 inches to push the snow back into my yard.

Jeff - I take it you don't have curbs then?

Jeff Sudmeier
01-10-2005, 7:06 PM
Rob, nope, I live in what is called a rural subdivision. Still in town, but there are some wacky rules to go with it. I drove around town after our yard got damaged and there were at least 5 other places where he had done the same thing. Some of the places had curbs, but he still dug his wing in.

Ron Jones near Indy
01-10-2005, 7:59 PM
Here you can file a claim with the county and they will investigate. If they accept blame, you get a $30 check.