PDA

View Full Version : New bowl

Kieran Kammerer
01-07-2011, 11:38 AM
I think this is birch (maybe maple, rough turned quite some time ago. Forgot to label it). Measures 7.5 x 3.5". Finished with Watco. Thanks for looking and for the inspiration.

Roland Martin
01-07-2011, 11:51 AM
Nice bowl with nice character. Looks like birch to me. Thanks for posting.

bob svoboda
01-07-2011, 12:13 PM
Nice wood, nice bowl. Thanks for sharing.

Tim Thiebaut
01-07-2011, 12:13 PM
Very nice bowl, I love that...AND, we have 3 Mainers in a row posting in this thread...yes I am in colorado now but am born and bred a Manier and still have most of my family there! I will return for good one day soon to!

oops, Bob got in before me so it wasnt 3 in a row, still love the bowl!

Kieran Kammerer
01-07-2011, 4:06 PM
Tim, what part of Maine are you from? I have been here 18 years (Hallowell). Kieran

Steve Schlumpf
01-07-2011, 5:01 PM
Very nice bowl Kieran! I really like the thickness (or lack of it!) and the classic form! Nice work!

Kieran Kammerer
01-07-2011, 6:17 PM
Thanks Steve and all. I highly regard all of the members input. Next time I will have to iron the back of the sheet for the light box. Off to try to rehook up my vacuum set up. Kieran

Tim Thiebaut
01-07-2011, 6:19 PM
Hi Kieran, I was born in Bangor, lets here it for Steven King!! But the family farm is down in Shapleigh, just outside of the Sanford/Springvale area. About 5 years ago I flew back and put a bid on a house in Sidney which as you know is just a little ways from you, the deal fell through though when the owner wouldnt fix certain things, or adjust the price down to compensate for them when I found the problems, ahh well, I keep looking for just the right place, I will find it at some point. But we come back to the farm as often as we can, and my main goal is moving back for good as soon as possible! They burn wood in the stoves back there that I pay a fortune for out here!! There is nothing like fresh maine lobster and whole bellie clams, blue berry muffins, I better stop now getting hungrey and home sick!

David E Keller
01-07-2011, 7:12 PM
Nicely done... The graceful rim and satin finish give it an understated elegance.

Bob Bergstrom
01-07-2011, 7:24 PM
Nice clean looking bowl. Very natural finish and works well with the design.

Christopher K. Hartley
01-07-2011, 9:16 PM
Kieran, nice bowl and form. Keep em coming!:)

Bernie Weishapl
01-07-2011, 9:18 PM
Really nice bowl and I like the form.

Roger Chandler
01-07-2011, 9:19 PM
Very nice bowl, I love that...AND, we have 3 Mainers in a row posting in this thread...yes I am in colorado now but am born and bred a Manier and still have most of my family there! I will return for good one day soon to!

oops, Bob got in before me so it wasnt 3 in a row, still love the bowl!

Tim,

I have a couple of friends from Maine.....they call themselves and those from Maine "Maineacs" ;):D:D

Kieran Kammerer
01-07-2011, 9:26 PM
Tim,

Hope you get back sooner than later! Kieran

John Keeton
01-07-2011, 9:49 PM
Kieran, this is an excellent piece! Well suited to the foot, and just a very nice piece of wood, too.

Baxter Smith
01-07-2011, 11:48 PM
Very nice bowl Kieran! And as one of the magnets on my refrigerator says, "Born in Maine, Living in Exile".

Kieran Kammerer
01-08-2011, 6:23 AM
Thanks Baxter. I must admit, I am from "away". Grew up in NY, went to school in VT and DC. Did my residency in Dayton, OH and then the Air Force sent me to the UP (KI Sawyer AFB) for 4 years. One daughter a buckeye, the other a yooper. Loved the UP but too far from family. Take care, Kieran

David Reed
01-08-2011, 11:02 AM
Kieran:
I am not generally a bowl aficionado but this just caught my eye. As previously written, it is a wonderful example of understated elegance. Very nice.
It must be birch - I can tell by the label on the bottom.

Jim Burr
01-08-2011, 1:48 PM
What a great chunk of bowl Kieran! Nice shape to show off the form and I am still drawn to the radius transition at the foot...Nice touch!