PDA

View Full Version : Calabash in Cherry

Sean Hughto
01-07-2011, 9:51 AM
I haven't had much lathe time lately, but I did manage to turn this last weekend, so I thought I'd share. It's cherry - turned in one shot even though the wood was only about three quarters dry. Some movement (most noticeable at the rim), but no cracking so far, and i think I'm through the danger stage (knock wood) as cracks usually show up int he first few days on something like this if they are going to. It's about 14 x 6" and finished with my usual walnut oil and beeswax. Kind of a classic shape, but I'd never made one in this size, so I decided to try it. I like how the shape presents the grain. Critiques always welcome. Thanks!

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5245/5331861330_8a47a093bd_b.jpg

Roger Chandler
01-07-2011, 9:59 AM
Sean,

That is real nice.............I have had the same issue with cherry, as it seems to want to "move" around the rim. I think cherry is famous for movement. I think you should just sign the bowls you do with "Sean Hughto, Bowlmaster" ;) because you really do a terrific job on bowl forms. A couple of yours that have been posted over the last few months, in my opinion could be held up as a model for learning turners to aspire to.

A question on the thickness.........is it pretty much the same from the rim to the bottom or did you leave a little more on the bottom and at the rim?

I really like your finish as well........I know where to buy walnut oil, but where does one find beeswax, and how do you apply beeswax?

Ron Stadler
01-07-2011, 10:16 AM
Get out the popcorn, looks good. The shape is a little different than what I'm used too, but still looks nice and I think your right about the cracking, mine usually crack within a day or so if there going to.

Sean Hughto
01-07-2011, 10:32 AM
A question on the thickness.........is it pretty much the same from the rim to the bottom or did you leave a little more on the bottom and at the rim?

I took my time in the hollowing, and made a reasonably consistent thickness throughout the curve and the bottom that equals what you see at the rim in the picture. The center of the bottom where I turned away the tenon is thinner but the ring around the edge of the base might be a little thicker as usual whent he outside curve ends but the inside curve continues - i.e., the bottom inside is not flat.

I really like your finish as well........I know where to buy walnut oil, but where does one find beeswax, and how do you apply beeswax?

Beeswax is readily available from most any honey producers you might know or find on the web. Order yourself a jar of clover honey and a dozen bars of strained beeswax somplace like this:
http://www.wildbeehoneyandcandles.com/shoponline.html or this http://blossomland.com/blocks.aspx
etc.
After putting on an inital layer of walnut oil, I just hold the stick/bar of beeswax to the bowl surface while the lathe spins; then use a paper towel to remove the excess - the friction melts the wax a little and helps it spread - you also need to periodically use a new part of the towel so that it doesn't get overloaded with beeswax.

Allen Schmid
01-07-2011, 10:49 AM
Sean,
That is a beautiful bowl, great shape...yes, it certainly shows of the growth rings. I usually use AntiqueOil but have purchased some walnut oil...have the beeswax so the next one will be with that combination. Really like how the rim slopes in a bit...nice touch. Cherry is a tough one as the splitting is a constant challenge, so you have a supply of cherry that just sits in log form or do you cut up blanks and seal them?
Nice work.
Allen

Roger Chandler
01-07-2011, 10:55 AM
Thanks for the info Sean! Now I've got to go shopping for beeswax!

Baxter Smith
01-07-2011, 11:06 AM
Beautiful bowl Sean. Great look and feel with that finish. I gave a couple of maple ones to my sister with that finish for Christmas. Got an email from her yesterday saying that she had used them for salad the day before and after a "quick trip to the dishpan they felt like they had no finish". No idea what "quick" was. Told her I would send her some more walnut oil to put on them. Told her just to wipe them out next time. I know most of yours are users or at least could be. How long do you find that "new feel" lasts with the oil and beeswax before reaaplication.

Sean Hughto
01-07-2011, 11:18 AM
I know most of yours are users or at least could be. How long do you find that "new feel" lasts with the oil and beeswax before reaaplication.

Thanks, Baxter! I do indeed like for my bowls to be used. When I give them away, I typically give folks a jar of this stuff too:
http://www.amazon.com/Claphams-Beeswax-870-3008-Finish-8-Ounces/dp/B0012XP7LQ/ref=pd_bxgy_hi_img_b
There are many other brands sold in tubes and smaller amounts as well as oils for wooden utensils and cutting boards that are likely fine too. With the bowls we use at home - and what I tell folks i give the bowls too - is wash them out (never leave in standing water and no dishwasher - obviously, right?), dry them with a dish towel; and then use a paper towel to apply a bit of the oil or paste before putting it away so that it stays lusterous and beautiful for next time. After the bowl has been used a few times, it doesn't take much and might even last a couple of used before benefiting from a reapplication. They develop a nice patina. I find most folks don't mind rubbing the wood down and watching the grain pop and full luster come back, strangely enough.

Sean Hughto
01-07-2011, 11:21 AM
, so you have a supply of cherry that just sits in log form or do you cut up blanks and seal them?
Nice work.
Allen

Thanks, Allen. I have a Michigan and a Pennsylvania source of cherry. The blanks come to me as blocks with the ends anchorsealed. They are never full on green, and I think that's because they both have kept the cherry for some months as logs.

bob svoboda
01-07-2011, 11:37 AM
I like the calabash shape and you pulled it off very well, Sean. An excellent bowl and a very nice, serviceable finish.

Prashun Patel
01-07-2011, 11:38 AM
Nice shape and grain centering. I really like the curve. Great lift. You have a great eye.

Roland Martin
01-07-2011, 12:00 PM
Nice shape and grain centering. I really like the curve. Great lift. You have a great eye.

I agree, well centered and a very pleasing shape. Great size for popcorn:)

philip labre
01-07-2011, 12:17 PM
Great bowl with a beautiful finish. The walnut oil looks to have given it a nice start on it's way to a darker, richer color.

Baxter Smith
01-07-2011, 2:25 PM
Thanks for the info and link Sean. I picked up a stick of beeswax at Woodcraft a while ago and added some shavings to some walnut oil to make a paste. I had to microwave it a couple of times to keep it from separating when it cooled. Kind of thick now. I wonder if it has the same consistency as what you had in your link. Maybe I will send her some of that instead of the pure oil. Thanks again!

charlie knighton
01-07-2011, 2:28 PM
very nice.....

Bernie Weishapl
01-07-2011, 3:07 PM
Beautiful bowl Sean and I do like the form. I also use walnut oil and beeswax on occasion. I always send a little walnut oil with them so they can reapply it. My personal bowls go about a year before I reapply.

John Keeton
01-07-2011, 3:07 PM
Sean, you always do such neat work with your bowls. They are clean in form, and the finish appears very touchable. Always a pleasure to see your threads!

Steve Schlumpf
01-07-2011, 5:44 PM
Sean - very nice bowl - form and wood but what really stands out to me is your rim treatment! That slight inward slant makes all the difference in the world! Seriously - nice work! Thanks for sharing!

David E Keller
01-07-2011, 7:20 PM
That's a great looking bowl, and I agree with Roger's assessment of your bowl skills. Seems like I've heard that oil should be applied to utility bowls something like 'once a day for a week, then once a week for a month, then about once a month'... Did I just make that up? I'm pretty sure I've read/heard that somewhere.

Harry Robinette
01-07-2011, 10:51 PM
Sean
Thats a beautiful bowl,you hit the shape dead on and that wood was a perfect choice.Very nice.
Harry