PDA

View Full Version : What do y'all use for your DNA soaking containers?

Rick Markham
01-07-2011, 3:51 AM
Ok so I need to set up a DNA soaking container, and I would like one that is big enough for large turnings, and something well sealed so my money doesn't evaporate. Will y'all share what you use? Even some pics would be helpful. So I guess show me your DNA baths!

Jim Burr
01-07-2011, 6:00 AM
I have a 5 gal bucket with a 2 gallon that slips over the lid for a nice seal

Barbara Gill
01-07-2011, 6:16 AM
For really large bowls I use a very large plastic basket. To save alcohol I put a pile of shavings in the bottom and put the bowl in a heavy duty garbage (contractors) bag. I can seat the bagged bowl down in the shavings making a nest. This way it takes less alcohol to cover. I can pour the alcohol back in the 5 gal. pail by using a funnel to catch the liquid.
For smaller tithings I use a lidded container from Wal-Mart.

Dan Hintz
01-07-2011, 6:24 AM
I made this suggestion to Peter (or was it Mike?) a few days earlier... look for an oil-changing pan sold at auto stores. Some come with a nice quality lid. It's not very tall, but it's plenty wide enough.

Carol Kinney
01-07-2011, 6:35 AM
I just use plastic containers or 5g buckets depending on the size, but always put them into a garage bag to easily recover the leftover liquid. Barbara has a great idea about putting shavings and making a nest, I'm definitely going to try that (thanks Barbara!). Oh, for very small items I use containers from the kitchen, the ones that are for food - but of course never again :).

Steve Schlumpf
01-07-2011, 7:17 AM
Rick - I use a contractor grade plastic garbage bag, I think they are 42 gallon, cut in half. Using a large cardboard box, I place the turning in the plastic bag, then place the bag into the box. Stuff wet shavings all around the outside of the bag to remove any spaces within the bag. THEN fill the bag with enough DNA to cover the turning, twist the plastic bag closed and secure with a tie-wrap! Very simple - works with all size forms and you only use as much DNA as needed per turning!

David Warkentin
01-07-2011, 7:55 AM
I am soaking my turnings in Dna for the first time right now. I just used an ice cream bucket that was about the same size as my largest bowl and nested them together. They are small bowls but it still took less than two quarts to cover them. David

Jerry Marcantel
01-07-2011, 8:38 AM
I used to used one of those small coleman coolers with the red lid. Then I turned something too big, so I took one of my 3 gallon spray tanks and sealed all outgoing ports. I put my turnings in, seal the tank and apply pressure up to 60#. I figure that one hour under pressure is enough time for the DNA to do it's job. After pressure is released, and the tank is opened, it looks like it's boiling. Has anyone done it this way?.......... Jerry (in Tucson)

Quinn McCarthy
01-07-2011, 9:34 AM
I have been using a turkey deep frier pot.

Steve S has a great idea for DNA container. I can verify he isn't lying about the bag being 42 gallon. :)

Quinn

Michael Ginsberg
01-07-2011, 10:41 AM
I have a tupperware container that is made for cakes. Works great.

Heard it from the Mrs. though when she went to get it for this past Thanksgiving........

Dan Hintz
01-07-2011, 10:55 AM
Jerry,

I'm not sure that is valid for getting the DNA into the center of the wood and replacing the water. You're pressurizing the entire bowl at once, so all you're doing is compressing the water in the middle, not pushing alcohol in one side and water out of the other. You may get localized boiling at the edges, what you're seeing. There may be some ancillary benefit (however small), such as increased replacement speed, but I can't imagine it's noticeable.

But I've been wrong before...

Barbara Gill
01-07-2011, 12:06 PM
I just use plastic containers or 5g buckets depending on the size, but always put them into a garage bag to easily recover the leftover liquid. Barbara has a great idea about putting shavings and making a nest, I'm definitely going to try that (thanks Barbara!). Oh, for very small items I use containers from the kitchen, the ones that are for food - but of course never again :).

Carol, I am not able to take credit for the idea. it has been around almost as long as the denatured alcohol soak.

Peter Elliott
01-07-2011, 3:23 PM
Why not use your local office supply, like Staples, Office Max, Office Depot.

They sell these:
176863 (http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/421318/Office-Depot-Clear-Plastic-Storage-Boxes/)

7 1/16"H x 13 9/16"W x 16 1/8"D

$10 for 2 of them : Stackable storage boxes with a snap-tight lid to keep contents secure, Boxes are clear for easy viewing and identification of stored items, constructed of high-quality polypropylene for strength and durability.

They also sell larger versions and small.

If I wanted to airtight seal this, I would use some clear packing stretch wrap around the lid.
176865 (http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/444327/Office-Depot-Stretch-Wrap-Film-5/)

David E Keller
01-07-2011, 7:43 PM
I've got a big red bowl that I bought from a tupperware salesperson that is about 15" wide, 8" deep, and bowl shaped. I bought one and made the mistake of leaving it inside the house... Apparently my wife thought it was a gift. Rather than try and pry it out of her hands, I bought another one. Little does she know that I consider 'her bowl' my backup bowl...

Scott Hackler
01-07-2011, 7:59 PM
I use an old shop vac bucket with a plywood lid that i grooved to fit a bike inner tube for a gasket. I have to drape a plastic drop cloth over the bucket before the lid goes on to seal it good. Cider block on top to hold the lid down.

Rich Aldrich
01-07-2011, 8:00 PM
I bought a 12 gallon plastic tote at ACE. It was about $15, but the shape was very good for bowls up to 14" dia. If you have more large bowls to soak, it is a little small. I also bought 5 gallons of DNA for $50, which is cheaper than by the gallon.

Peter Elliott
01-07-2011, 8:02 PM
Dave, good idea.. I knew someone still made these but couldn't place the name..

Good ole' Tupperwear!

Mega Bowl
176914 (http://order.tupperware.com/pls/htprod_www/tup_show_item.show_item_detail?fv_item_category_co de=10201&fv_item_number=P10055856000)

Thatsa™ Mega Bowl
Mega-size can handle double, triple—even quadruple— batches.
Features two large thumb-loop handles for easier handling and transporting.
42-cup (10 L) capacity
7¼" H x 16" W

Christopher K. Hartley
01-07-2011, 8:58 PM
Rick, go to your local pool service provider. They throw away large medium and small chemical buckets. They seal with screw on lids and hold the bowls and other turnings very well. I kept my DNA in the bucket almost a year before replacing it. I never lost any to evaporation. These buckets are free and much safer than bags and the like. I have an old post that shows my bucket if you do a search. Hope this helps.:)

Bernie Weishapl
01-07-2011, 9:16 PM
I use a deep tote from Wally world with some sticky on one side foam weather stripping around the top to seal it. I soak all my wood especially fruit wood for 5 days.

Rick Markham
01-08-2011, 2:36 AM
Thanks guys, Christopher I will definitely check the pool supplies stores, that is an excellent idea! I also really like the bag/box/shavings idea for the odd shaped/large pieces, that should keep the required volume of DNA to a reasonable/affordable size. I always have to look towards the future with these projects, as my shop is super small! Thanks for all your help, tomorrow I will have to run off to the borg to buy a 5gal bucket of DNA!

Jerry Marcantel
01-08-2011, 10:24 AM
Jerry,

I'm not sure that is valid for getting the DNA into the center of the wood and replacing the water. You're pressurizing the entire bowl at once, so all you're doing is compressing the water in the middle, not pushing alcohol in one side and water out of the other. You may get localized boiling at the edges, what you're seeing. There may be some ancillary benefit (however small), such as increased replacement speed, but I can't imagine it's noticeable. But I've been wrong before...

Dan, I'll bet I've been wrong more times than you have... I thought the DNA displaced or absorbed the water, like regular alcohol absorbs water in a gas tank........ Help me out her as I'm still learning. I've only been turning a bunch of green Mesquite bowls, soaking in DNA, and the DNA soak might not be required since Mesquite is pretty stable as is. Most of the other woods I've turned is dryer than the desert I live in.... Jerry (in Tucson)

Gary Herrmann
01-08-2011, 1:11 PM
Another vote for pool chemical buckets. Some of them are huge.

Don Nurmela
01-08-2011, 1:27 PM
I just bought a salvage container from McMaster Carr, it holds 20 gallons and has a huge top 23" and is actually wider than tall. It has a screw on top with a neoprene gasket, so evaporation shouldn't be a problem. Shipping was reasonable and was here in 3 days. It just came in so no soaks yet, but will today. It was $55 to the door. I also purchased 10 gallons of DNA so ready to go. I have been keeping my large roughed bowls outside and hoping that keeping them frozen will work til they hit the bath.
Here is link to container http://www.mcmaster.com/#salvage-drums/=ai4lev

Dan Hintz
01-09-2011, 8:05 AM
I thought the DNA displaced or absorbed the water, like regular alcohol absorbs water in a gas tank...DNA is miscible in water, so yes, you're replacing the water with the alcohol. However, that replacement isn't sped up by pressure, at least as far as I can fathom. Imagine a tube (the wood fiber) open at both ends and filled with water. Now place some alcohol at either end. The alcohol has to make it's way towards the middle, replacing the pure water as it goes. Now add pressure. Water doesn't compress much at all, and you're now compressing from both sides... doesn't really change the scenario much, does it? If anything, you might be better off placing it in a vacuum and let the water boil itself off in a matter of a few seconds.