PDA

View Full Version : Laser Engravable rubber material

Joseph Tovar
01-07-2011, 3:50 AM
Hi all,

Does anyone have any recommendations for a laserable "rubber" type material. Here are some of the specs I'm looking for:

-Rubber or soft plastic
-Has some dampening effect(like a mouse pad)
-Safe for a laser engraving
-Can withstand heat up to about 450 degrees without melting or getting sticky

Thanks!

Bjorn storoien
01-07-2011, 4:14 AM
Silicone

not enough dampeneing maybe

Bjorn

Dan Hintz
01-07-2011, 6:33 AM
-Can withstand heat up to about 450 degrees without melting or getting sticky
This requirement alone severely limits you... silicone is a good match, and you'll have some decent dampening capabilities with a very soft grade.

Joseph Tovar
01-08-2011, 3:56 AM
The 450 degrees is for a short time....Less than 1 min. I've used a material like a mouse pad and it withstands the heat. I just don't think it would laser very well.

Has anyone lasered neoprene?

Richard Rumancik
01-08-2011, 11:00 AM
You might try the Poron urethanes made by Rogers Corp. They also sell some silicones under the Bisco name. Urethane foam will probably not take 450F for any extended length of time but possibly there is something that could take it for a minute. If you discuss the application with them they might advise you. The material will probably not be cheap but if you have a technical application that can justify it they may have something that will work. You might be able to get some samples,

http://www.rogerscorp.com/hpf/index.aspx

Steve Paul
01-08-2011, 12:54 PM
I used neoprene sheet to test the engraving of some rubber tire treads. This was a very soft grade .062" thick. I did not use air assist at the time but would use it to control the flame that licked off the burn point. I picked up a large sheet out of the trash can at a gasket and seal manufacturing business in down town St. Louis (close to the brewery on Broadway) not sure what the name was. If you are looking for some various kinds of rubber sheeting, Shapiro Bros. Salvage in St. Louis has large rolls of all types. They buy at actions and resell the goods. Very popular place for fabricators of all kinds in the St. Louis area. They have a web site. I paid about $30 for a piece of silicone sheeting 36" by 50" by 3/32" thick (they sell it by the pound). How much are you looking for?

Joseph Tovar
01-08-2011, 4:35 PM
-Richard,
I had a co-worker from our mechanical team mention Poron. Thanks for the link, I'll check them out.

-Steven,
Thanks for the pic. I'm not sure how much I'll need. For now I'm just testing out different types of materials to see if I can get the look I want and the features I need. Is this the correct website: http://www.shapirobros.com/

-Bjorn, Dan
Someone at work handed me a piece of silicone from McMaster-Carr so I'm going to give it a try today.

Martin Boekers
01-08-2011, 5:40 PM
I use rubber pad with dye sub, they have a silicon one to. Not sure if they hold up to engraving.

They do hold up to the heat of the press.

They do sell rubber mouse pads, coasters also.

This is the back of a cheap coaster ran this at 100sp 35 pwr (lft) 100sp 60 pwr (right) with a 75 watt laser. I sub this coaster at 400 degrees.

Steve Paul
01-09-2011, 2:51 AM
Joseph - www.shapirosupply.com/ (http://www.shapirosupply.com/) is the link.