PDA

View Full Version : Some thing new I did tonight

Peter Odell
01-06-2011, 10:34 PM
First time for doing a mirror

Bill Overturf
01-06-2011, 10:38 PM
That looks good. I've been kicking around the idea of reverse engraving a mirror. Anybody know if that works?

Peter Odell
01-06-2011, 10:43 PM
Thanks Bill. I did this one off of the back so I had to reverse everything so it came out right on the front. Did 3 of them for a guy I hope to get a lot more of them

Bill Cunningham
01-06-2011, 11:10 PM
Mirror is usually etched from the back, and then sprayed black...I've done quite a few photos, Frank has done some nice ones too. The mottled white background is the sheet of styrofoam used as a background in the reflection. If your using Photograv, use the Cherry setting..
176776176777176778176779http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/misc/pencil.png

Larry Bratton
01-07-2011, 9:24 AM
Beautiful work there Bill. I have not done any mirror with my laser, I used to sandblast it though. I think I'll try some. Thanks for posting these.

Jiten Patel
01-07-2011, 9:34 AM
We have our logo done on Mirror, with Leds behind it, looks really smart. Nice work. Love the looks of lasered mirror.

Bill Cunningham
01-08-2011, 7:28 PM
The LEDs would look great.. I've also used coloured metallic foil behind some. I haven't tried any round mirrors yet, That one came out nice Peter, any colour you put behind it will make it 'pop'. I see you have Photograv, using the cherry setting, and flipping it will make photographs and any logos with shading come out looking great..

Peter Odell
01-08-2011, 7:52 PM
I never thought about that Bill. This is the first one that I have ever did I only have my machine a month and a half and been having a lot of fun with it. What would I use to fill it with.

Bill Cunningham
01-08-2011, 8:22 PM
Just spray paint Peter.. Usually black.. I use Krylon Fusion. It's formulated for plastic, but it also works very well on glass. The Bible text mirror above, was coloured with ordinary blue acrylic paint that you find in hobby stores, dollar store etc.. Once the paint is dry, over spray it with white rattle can acrylic (not really needed, but the finished product will look much neater particularly if you are not framing it for the customer). For photographs, I usually use the black fusion. Once the image is etched into the back, the added black will provide the contrast. Remember, for mirrors, you don't need a negative image, but for plain glass you do..

Jeff Belany
01-10-2011, 12:19 PM
I really enjoy mirrors. Like others, I use a combination of acrylics for color and rattlecan black for the majority of the image. Photographs reproduce so well on the mirror. I did a real nice montage of old family pictures for a Christmas present for a customer. Came out pretty nice. The customer was very happy.

Photographing the mirrors has been my issue. I like the idea of a piece of white foam or matboard for the reflection, I have to try that. I take them outside and set at an angle so that they sky becomes the background. Works pretty well except when weather is an issue.

Jeff in northern Wisconsin

Joe Pelonio
01-10-2011, 8:33 PM
Try using transluscent colored vinyl on the back, then hang it in a window. Creates a nice effect similar to stained glass.

Jiten Patel
01-11-2011, 4:40 AM
I really enjoy mirrors. Like others, I use a combination of acrylics for color and rattlecan black for the majority of the image. Photographs reproduce so well on the mirror. I did a real nice montage of old family pictures for a Christmas present for a customer. Came out pretty nice. The customer was very happy.

Photographing the mirrors has been my issue. I like the idea of a piece of white foam or matboard for the reflection, I have to try that. I take them outside and set at an angle so that they sky becomes the background. Works pretty well except when weather is an issue.

Jeff in northern Wisconsin

Jeff, Nice work. The problem with photographing it the way you are is that its hard to tell that its a mirror. Try using that fact that it reflects to your advantage. Mirror something smart, art deco in the mirror at an angle and see how that works out. Just far enough so that it's a blurred so that the detail of piece isnt distorted.

Vicki Rivers
01-11-2011, 11:38 PM
Really beautiful work, both of you. Makes me want to go pick up some mirrors now!!!

Frank Corker
01-12-2011, 11:27 AM
Really beautiful work, both of you. Makes me want to go pick up some mirrors now!!! ......is that on reflection?

Bill Cunningham
01-13-2011, 8:50 PM
......is that on reflection?

Ooooo bad nuP rorriM