PDA

View Full Version : delta 46-460 and nova chuck problem

Michael James
01-06-2011, 10:03 PM
Has anyone with a 46-460 been able to use a Nova chuck? I have 2 and neither one will flush up on the spindle face. I did not realize that at all until a friend was over checking it out and saw it was causing some runout.
It's about a 1/8 inch gap, and I've tried turning it with a wrench to point of bending my knock out bar. I have tried both the d and t 1x8 inserts with no results. A call to tachnatoll yielded no info on the insert used in the delta 46-461 chuck which they make.
Do I have to use the delta chuck designed for this?? Im not going to modify the lathe.
Any solutions are greatly appreciated.
The red line at the right point to the gap Im referring to. Thanks in advance.
Michael

John Keeton
01-06-2011, 10:39 PM
Michael, both my G3 and the Delta version of the G3 mate up tight on mine. Not sure what your problem could be?

David E Keller
01-06-2011, 10:44 PM
Hmmm.... Probably a stupid suggestion, but is there some kind of set screw in the insert or chuck that is preventing it from seating completely. It seems that a lot of chucks/inserts have a screw or two that keep them seated when reverse turning. Just a thought....

Michael James
01-06-2011, 10:48 PM
John, what insert is on you G3? Ive tried a D and aT (rh/lh)

David these inserts do not have the screws to lock on the spinde as the delta version probably does.
I am baffled.......

Steve Schlumpf
01-07-2011, 12:09 AM
Michael - I do not have Nova chuck but a few others have experienced the same problems as you. Here are a couple of threads that may help:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?149374-I-need-some-Help! (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?149374-I-need-some-Help%21)
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?134914-Super-Nova2-and-the-quot-wrong-quot-insert

Bill Blasic
01-07-2011, 6:19 AM
I have 7 or 8 Nova chucks with the 1" X 8 threaded insert and they all fit the Delta. I use the L insert as the delta has reversing.
Bill

Carol Kinney
01-07-2011, 9:27 AM
I also have the Delta and I have Nova chucks they all fit - have you checked to ensure that maybe some kind of shavings might have found its way inside - it only takes a speck of what ever to give it problems.

Prashun Patel
01-07-2011, 9:31 AM
I've had no issues with my G3. I suggest you back out the set screw all the way and give it a spin. Also, examine the threads inside the chuck and on the spindle for any burrs. Does your faceplate screw down tight? If yes, then the prob seems to be the chuck.

Michael James
01-07-2011, 9:47 AM
Thanks everybody. I will examine the threads and remount the faceplate. If yours are going on then it cannot be the problem I suspected. The fix must be simple.
Just a little dissapointing on a new toy, certainly not the end of the world.
Happy Friday!
Michael

dan carter
01-07-2011, 10:24 AM
The Delta Midi Lathe L-200 came with a spacer. It looks about that size, not the long term solution, but you may find one of those while you are trying to figure it out.

Michael James
01-07-2011, 7:47 PM
Thanks everybody for your assist. Once I was sure that the chuck should sit flush, I went and got a 1X8 rethreading die for under $18 (new insert is $23). Got out the pipe wrench an went to work. 10 mins later and it's like a brand new one!:cool:
Cranked it up and smooth as silk. Flush and true.

Mike Peace
01-07-2011, 9:31 PM
So it sounds like the insert threads were not machined that well. I am a little dissapointed to hear that you were not able to get the issue resolved by Tecknatools who should have sent you a new insert. No way someone should have to buy a tap to get a new chuck to fit. I have a SN2 bought used and a G# bought new and I have been pleased with both.

John Keeton
01-07-2011, 9:46 PM
Michael, glad the problem is resolved and you are back on smooth road!! Now you can finish that HF you had on there.

Kerry Burton
01-07-2011, 11:50 PM
So it sounds like the insert threads were not machined that well. I am a little dissapointed to hear that you were not able to get the issue resolved by Tecknatools who should have sent you a new insert.
Judging from the last photo Michael posted, the problem wasn't with the chuck or its insert threads. He didn't use a tap; he used a die ... so the problem must have been with the lathe spindle.

Still ... I totally agree when you say:

No way someone should have to buy a tap to get a new chuck to fit

Michael James
01-07-2011, 11:58 PM
Judging from the last photo Michael posted, the problem wasn't with the chuck or its insert threads. He didn't use a tap; he used a die ... so the problem must have been with the lathe spindle.

Still ... I totally agree when you say:

I agree but I'll take the hit for the mess, and credit for the fix. In fairness to Technatool I did not ask them to actually do something, but I was pretty baffled at the lack of information and problem solving. The lathe had a faceplate on it when I got it, and I cant tell you if if was flush or not. As a working consumer I was fully prepared to take the lathe back for an exchange if necessary. The fix seemed easy enough after I got some feedback, and so I'll be out there turning tomorrow instead of having to deal with the problem. OH, and now I can forever keep my spindle crisp and clean!

Jack Camillo
02-03-2011, 6:14 PM
Michael, both my G3 and the Delta version of the G3 mate up tight on mine. Not sure what your problem could be?

John (or anyone else with both) - since you have both, what is the difference? I can't decide whether to get the G3 or the Delta version of the G3 to go with my Delta 46-460. There is a price difference on Amazon, but I can't tell what the difference is in the chuck. Thanks

Clint Baxter
02-03-2011, 8:13 PM
Delta version doesn't have an insert. Nova G3 does so you can change the insert and use on lathes without the 1 X 8 spindle.

Jack Camillo
02-03-2011, 8:44 PM
Delta version doesn't have an insert. Nova G3 does so you can change the insert and use on lathes without the 1 X 8 spindle.

Ah, thank you. Would there be any reason at all that a chuck without an insert (ie, made for that spindle) might be better than one with an insert?

John Keeton
02-03-2011, 9:59 PM
Jack, as noted, the chuck without an insert can be used only on a lathe with that thread - in this case, 1" x 8 tpi. The chuck with the insert would accept other thread sizes and could be used on other lathes. I am not aware of any advantage to a chuck without an insert other than it is perhaps a couple of ounces lighter in weight and just a hair shorter in length if that would matter on anything.