PDA

View Full Version : Camber roller

John Powers
01-06-2011, 9:37 PM
If you've used the veritas camber roller assembly I'd like to know your opinion. I Have a nice ward master 4 that I'd like to camber an iron for. Naturally I thought of this after Free shipping.

Bill Houghton
01-06-2011, 9:51 PM
I have one, and have used it a little on a plane designated for carpentry. It worked pretty well.

Joel Goodman
01-06-2011, 10:45 PM
I have one and it works fine. In fact I almost never put the regular roller back on -- don't know why they don't sell the jig with the camber roller.

Zach England
01-07-2011, 12:09 AM
it is excellent. I hated this jig until I got it.

Andrae Covington
01-07-2011, 2:36 AM
I think it works pretty well. I do feel like there is some challenge in trying to create the "in between" position(s) of the camber, between straight and full tilt. It just takes some practice.

Paul Incognito
01-07-2011, 8:50 AM
I got one a few months ago. It makes the honing jig much more versatile.
I've had the guide for years and didn't know what I was missing.
PI

Casey Gooding
01-07-2011, 9:17 AM
I have one, but I rarely use it. I use a light camber on my blades and can achieve that with just the straight roller.

jamie shard
01-07-2011, 9:31 AM
I have it and it's especially useful for cambering bevel-up plane blades. Because the angle of the blade itself is so much lower in a bevel up plane, you need to put a tighter (smaller-radius) camber to have the same curve as a blade in a bevel-down plane. These can be hard to do with a flat roller.

David Weaver
01-07-2011, 10:08 AM
I have the camber wheel, too. I don't use a straight wheel, ever. At the same time, I hardly ever use the MKII guide with the camber wheel. I got it thinking I'd need it for skew irons, but have been grinding and honing them freehand, it's less trouble.

I think, though, that an eclipse guide is a much better guide for putting camber on something, and you can probably get an eclipse style guide from somewhere cheaper than you can get the mkII camber wheel.

The only thing I can think of that I've ever sharpened with a guide where the eclipse style didn't work is establishing a bevel on japanese plane irons - they just aren't gripped well from the sides. Not to say that there aren't things that are better sharpened in a MkII where camber is appropriate, I just don't have any of them and I don't know what they are.

Bill Miltner
01-07-2011, 10:47 AM
I guess I am the opposite of David, . I also have the Eclipse guide and the Veritas MK II with a camber roller but pretty much hate the Eclipse. I leave the camber roller on the MK II for just about all of my work. If you roll the MK II with pressue in the middle of the guide it sharpens as straight as can be. Then, if you want some camber just use pressue on each side if the guide and presto, a little camber (or a lot of camber if you keep pressue on the sides for an extended period of time). The procedue is well described in the camber roller instructions.

Johnny Kleso
01-07-2011, 11:07 AM
I really dont see why you need a camber roller I just push a little harder in the corners..
In fact I have a bear of a time getting them as flat as I want and no issue getting a camber..
What I need is an extra flat wheel :)

I think the best jig is a Millers Falls but you have to check eBay..
Here is a pic of one

PS:
You can see the rubber matt I use for sharpening on my bench..

John Powers
01-07-2011, 12:16 PM
Good info. Wore out an eclipse and got a new one. I'll try it. Missed free shipping and can't pay $11.50. Shipping on a $23.00 item. I'll see how the eclipse does and stop by lee Ovalley when we're in toronto visiting the son and his wife.

Todd Hyman
01-07-2011, 3:51 PM
I also have one, but I rarely use it. I use a straight roller and just push a little harder on the corners to get a slight camber.