PDA

View Full Version : Vinyl Plotter for window stickers.

Anthony Welch
01-06-2011, 9:21 PM
I've never thought about getting a plotter, because everybody and there brother has one around here. But we have a very good friend that wants us to make several tributes to their brother who recently passed away.

One of the tributes they want are the vinyl graphics you see on the back of windshields. They insist that we try to do it, "because the company they talked to were rude".

This evening I priced some small plotters at USCutters and suprisingly not expensive. I don't see needing a large machine to do this specific task.

All I want to do right now is this type application. If someone wouldn't mind suggesting machine type, materials, tools and maybe a link to a video on this application would be appriciated.

Thanks,
Anthony

Dan Hintz
01-07-2011, 7:03 AM
As you've found, the USCutters are quite inexpensive and for this simple application you'll be more than happy with even the lowest model they sell.

Joe Pelonio
01-07-2011, 7:56 AM
They also have a forum where you can get machine specific advice and help.

Phil Phelps
01-08-2011, 9:19 AM
Software? Now that can be expensive.

Anthony Welch
01-08-2011, 3:25 PM
"what you talkin' about Willis"... will Corel Draw not work with these machines?

Scott Shepherd
01-08-2011, 6:20 PM
Sorta. You'll need a software package to tell it what to cut. There are options when you cut, like which color to cut, border, weed lines horizontal or vertical (or both), tiling, etc.

I can't speak for what US cutter uses now, but when we bought our machine from them years ago, it was SignCutX2. It had a software dongle on it, so you had to pay a subscription to use it. No pay, no cut :) It checks with the internet to make sure each time you launched it.

With the Graphtec (read as "more expensive") there is a plugin for Corel, it goes from Corel into their "CutMaster" dialog boxes and you can set all the parameters from there and send it to the plotter. So no dongle, no software to buy, but a more expensive machine.

Hope that makes sense of it.

Dave Wagner
01-08-2011, 6:40 PM
I have a Roland GX24, which is not cheap, but works good, it does go up to 24" wide. Graphtek also make them.

Maybe somethign like this just for small applications.

http://www.signsupply.com/Hardware/Graphtec/Silhouette.asp

http://www.signsupply.com/Hardware/EasyCut/Easycut.asp

AL Ursich
01-08-2011, 8:03 PM
I will throw my 2 cents in since I was in the same boat as you starting up... Bought the US Cutter unit.... Was Busy and it sat unopened... Then I saw I wanted to make printed stickers.... I talked to US Cutter and they let me trade in un opened my US Cutter with me paying the shipping back. I then got a Graphtec FC 7000-60 with the ability to read Corel Registration Marks. I still have not used this feature but the Plotter has payed for itself as many will post... The FC7000 would give you options.... You could even Silk Screen Stickers with the sheets having the registration marks and with Corel cut out the stickers...

Spend some time on You Tube looking at cutter plotter videos... A real education...

There is a market for Reflective Stickers.... Even Epoxy Domed Stickers.... Check You Tube on Doming too....

Buying a Cutter Plotter is like buying a Chop Saw for Wood.... You find more and more uses for it all the time...

With the pen option, find end rolls of news print and for example... I am going to cut out some letters from 3/4 inch PVC Board using my CarveWright then use the paper pen plot to scale to mount them on a building. You could print the letters full size on news print and spray glue them to wood and cut out the letters with a saber saw.... A few small jobs and you buy more equipment....

Good Luck,

AL