PDA

View Full Version : LN Tool event

Shawn Stennett
01-06-2011, 8:02 PM
Who else is going to the LN Tool Event in Austin this weekend?

Paul A. Clark
01-06-2011, 10:42 PM
I'll be there Saturday at 10 am

Niels Cosman
01-07-2011, 1:12 AM
I'll going to the Brooklyn event tomorrow.

Pam Niedermayer
01-07-2011, 5:51 AM
I'd planned on going tomorrow, but there's supposed to be great tennis and dog park weather, so probably Saturday afternoon (20% chance of showers).

Pam

Tom Winship
01-07-2011, 7:44 AM
I went last year. It was during that "cold spell" right after New Years. I think in the teens in Austin. Not much warmer inside the warehouse. This year is supposed to be warmer.

Pam Niedermayer
01-07-2011, 2:58 PM
I went last year. It was during that "cold spell" right after New Years. I think in the teens in Austin. Not much warmer inside the warehouse. This year is supposed to be warmer.

It is warmer, close to 74° right now.

Pam

Pedro Reyes
01-07-2011, 3:41 PM
Got back about 30 minutes ago.

Frank Strazza did a quick demo on sliding dovetail. Lots to drool over. I stopped to talk to Glen Drake, very nice gentleman, I tried his Gents saw which uses the same saw concept of no-kerf-small teeth-large teeth-small teeth-no kerf. It does make it easy to start and use, got the ang of it quite quickly. I almost got the saw, but no real reason to get it.

I did all the damage at the LN booth, 271 & 71, got a free DVD off it.

DOWD's tools was there but had recently seen them so only got their delicious pie.

/p

EDIT: I also tried the Boggs spokeshave, wow! maybe it is that my 151 is not tuned well, but a lot more difference between Boggs and my old 151 than between any of my stanleys and any new LN bench plane.

Russell Johnson
01-07-2011, 3:42 PM
I went to the Austin Fine Woodworkers club preview event. I really enjoyed trying out all the planes and watching demos.

Shawn Stennett
01-07-2011, 6:47 PM
I am planning on being there around 10.

Derrell W Sloan
01-08-2011, 10:30 PM
Kudos to all the folks that made this even happen. I went briefly Friday and then again today. It was really nice getting to see all the great tools and even better to get to try them out. I was very impressed. It's really great to see such high quality stuff that's still made in the good'ol USA.

Shawn Stennett
01-08-2011, 10:36 PM
First off I really enjoyed myself today, everything but the long drive there and back. I learned a good bit today.
-First I learned my wife is a wonder understanding woman ( I already new this but it was re-enforced)
-I want their thin plate Dovetail saw
-I want their thin plate Dovetail saw
-I really want a set of their chisels
-I really enjoyed playing with the router plane
-I actually like their lefthanded Bronze edge plane better than the righthanded version ( I would have bought the right hand one first)
-The # 8 is a beast
-I will probaly get the rabbit block plane before the shoulder plane.

Glen-Drake tools were there with a really strange looking two handled saw. They also had a interesting dovetail saw that I tried and it did cut very well. It had no teeth on the front and back of the plate about an inch and a half front and back. The teeth were fine for the first bit then got more aggressive and the back to fine. Interesting

The gentleman from Dowds tools is a very nice man and I enjoyed talking to him.

I am really looking forward to my class I am taking at the Center for Essential Education School of Woodworking. I spent alot of time at there station.

Overall I really had fun and look forward to owning a few of their tools in the future.