PDA

View Full Version : my Unisaw came home today........(new pics)

dale rex
01-08-2005, 11:05 PM
Picked up my X5 Unisaw today at Woodcraft:cool: . Unloaded it with some planks as ramps, and rented an appliance dolly to get it into the basement.(with the help of my son).It was heavy, but not too terribly difficult to wheel down the stairs. Started assembly today:got the the two wings on,the guard,and all of the extra goodies that were'nt attached. Next , before I assemble the fence rails and install the laminated extension table, I want to remove the factory coating on the cast iron top, and polish and wax it. I know this has been discussed here many times before, but I want to know what you all do to your tops to achieve rust protection? and a slick shiny surface? I have heard of using WD40, Boeshield and Johnsons paste wax, so what is the best possible method for doing this? Thanks .>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Just cleaned, polished, and applied Boeshield. These are pics of the progress so far. Next I will be mounting the fence rails and adjusting it all!

Jim Barrett
01-08-2005, 11:25 PM
Hey Dale,

Congrats on your new unisaw! On the new machines I recently acquired, first used kerosene to remove the cosmoline, boeshield and finally Johnsons paste wax! Smooth as a baby's behind:cool:

Jim

John Miliunas
01-08-2005, 11:38 PM
Hey Dale, WHAT saw? I don't see no saw! Saws are definitely a physical item and, one which readily lends itself as a good subject for PICTURES!!!:D I'd love to "congrats", but one just never knows if such an object exists in your environment without a pic!:D :) :cool:

Ted Shrader
01-08-2005, 11:44 PM
Dale -

Clean off the protective "crud" with kerosene or mineral spirits. I use Boeshield followed by Johnson's paste wax. Maybe overkill, but it seems to work.

Congratulations on the new tool! Even without a picture! :) ;)

Ted

dale rex
01-08-2005, 11:45 PM
oops,sorry guys.......I forgot the pics. Tomorrow I will post the "in progress pics"for you!:) BTW I just cant help myself, but every so often I have to go down and just look at my new baby! I have waited a very long time(years) for this day and I feel like a little kid getting his first bicycle.:D Started her up today and just stood there and listened to that purrrrrrrrr. I love it! PS, Anyone wanna buy a used contractors saw?

Ted Shrader
01-08-2005, 11:52 PM
. . . BTW I just cant help myself, but every so often I have to go down and just look at my new baby! It's not just you. I do it, my wife does it. Bet everybody has done it a time or two. At least they can't put you in jail for it. :) ;) :)

Ted

Jeff Sudmeier
01-09-2005, 12:41 AM
The night that I got my SCMS, I looked at it out in the garage before I went to bed. You aren't alone :)

Brian Hale
01-09-2005, 7:38 AM
Congrats on the new saw!!!! It'll be around and running strong when your great grandson inherits it.

I'm the same as the other folks, Boeshield T9 and wax. Johnsons is good but i use Minwax because thats what i have ...

Brian

Kent Cori
01-09-2005, 9:25 AM
Wat to go Dale. I know you're going to fall in love with your new saw.

I too use Boeshield T-9 with a wax overcoat. Just make sure to wipe off the T-9 thoroughly. I do this after I've finised for the night and then let it dry until morning. When I start up in the morning, I apply the paste wax and am ready to go for a good six months even in a humid Florida garage.

Bart Leetch
01-09-2005, 11:40 AM
Gee Dale

Its almost 9 AM west coast time & still no picture...... :eek: :D

John Shuk
01-09-2005, 1:43 PM
Dale,
I have Unisaw on order. I'm waiting patiently...NOT! Let us know all about the put together process so I can gaze lovingly until mine comes. Good luck with it!
John

JayStPeter
01-09-2005, 3:32 PM
Looks good.
Don't know how far you've gotten, but aligning the blade and miter slot is easier before you install the fence and extension table.

Jay

Rob Blaustein
01-09-2005, 6:02 PM
Dale,
Congrats--looks awesome. This may depend on one's saw, but I would second Jay's recommendation of doing as much aligning before installing the wings and fence (though looks like you already did the former). Not a big deal, just may save some work as I discovered. On the odd chance that there is a problem with the alignment of the blade at 45 degrees (when aligned at 90), you might need to shim the top (see Jamie Buxton's post and f/u discussion--http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=15546). Again, not sure about this on a unisaw, so maybe I should be quiet. Good luck!
Rob

Rob Russell
01-09-2005, 9:44 PM
The Unisaw is a nice saw - liked mine. Congrats!

Phil Winn
01-09-2005, 11:45 PM
How difficult was it to move it down the stairs? Was it into a basement?
Wooden-stairs? Bulkhead?
How much did the largest part weigh? What do you
mean by appliance dolly?
Thanks,
Phil

Boyd Gathwright
01-10-2005, 12:51 AM
Nice looking saw Dale,

.... Congratulations, it should last you a life time. Them again, in time, you might trade it in on a FELDER'S :D.

Boyd

PS: I too use Johnson's paste wax.

Picked up my X5 Unisaw today at Woodcraft:cool: . Unloaded it with some planks as ramps, and rented an appliance dolly to get it into the basement.(with the help of my son).It was heavy, but not too terribly difficult to wheel down the stairs. Started assembly today:got the the two wings on,the guard,and all of the extra goodies that were'nt attached. Next , before I assemble the fence rails and install the laminated extension table, I want to remove the factory coating on the cast iron top, and polish and wax it. I know this has been discussed here many times before, but I want to know what you all do to your tops to achieve rust protection? and a slick shiny surface? I have heard of using WD40, Boeshield and Johnsons paste wax, so what is the best possible method for doing this? Thanks .>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Just cleaned, polished, and applied Boeshield. These are pics of the progress so far. Next I will be mounting the fence rails and adjusting it all!

dale rex
01-10-2005, 5:40 PM
My son and I unloaded it from my van by sliding it down two planks...worked great!Then we strapped it to the dolly(hand truck)that I rented from U- haul, and had to go up 5 stairs onto my patio ,then up two more into the house. Then we went throught the dining room ,to the basement steps, and down the steps. All in all it wasnt really that difficult, but it was extremely heavy I must admit. I am 220 lbs and so is my son, so it wasnt that hard for us to do this. I would say the saw stripped down weighs at least 350 lbs.