PDA

View Full Version : What big chuck to buy for a PM 3520 B? - have a G3 already

Alan Heffernan
01-06-2011, 5:35 PM
Please give me some views on what chuck you'd get for a PM 3520 B.

I already have a G3 from a smaller lathe setup. But I want a bigger chuck for this machine.

Based on some advice I've gotten from a friend, I am leaning toward the Oneway Stronghold. What do you think?

Greg Ketell
01-06-2011, 5:57 PM
I have the stronghold and love it! (two, actually) But since you have the G3 I would stick with the Nova line since their jaws are interchangeable between chucks. Saves some money. When you start turning things that really tax the ability of the 3520 then maybe buy the "odd ball" stronghold.

Jeff Luedloff
01-06-2011, 6:22 PM
I also have the Stronghold and a Supernova but Stronghold gets my vote.

Tony De Masi
01-06-2011, 6:51 PM
Can't argue with the two already mentioned. Have them both and love them both.

Kyle Iwamoto
01-06-2011, 6:54 PM
I would say that the Supernova would be sufficient, and as you know you can swap jaws. I have used a Stronghold, and it is a better chuck, but as mentioned, you can save a few bucks staying with the Nova line. I have a G3 and SN2. Anything that flied off my SN chuck was a result of a broken tenon, so I'd say it works just as good.... Not that I have a PM though. Lathe envy.

dan carter
01-06-2011, 7:32 PM
Stronghold if you are ever going to think big. If that is why you bought the Powermatic, it seems to me that is the best choice. As you walk down the winding road, you may very well buy a number of chucks to use in specific situations. Grizzlys work reasonably well, for $99.

Christopher K. Hartley
01-06-2011, 7:46 PM
Stronghold here too. I have turned more than a few 20"+ bowls with no problems at all, but I have heard that the Axminster is a fine chuck as well.:)

Bernie Weishapl
01-06-2011, 7:47 PM
Vicmarc makes some good chucks. I have the VM120 and VM100. Then I found out as Dan said the Grizzly $99 chuck is a clone of the VM100 so all the jaws will fit the Grizz. I have 4 of them with different jaws but the VM120 will hold some big wood.

Ryan Baker
01-06-2011, 7:53 PM
Stronghold

James Combs
01-06-2011, 9:40 PM
Just for the record, I have an SN2 and two G3's. If I catch a big sale I will probably have another G3.

David T gray
01-06-2011, 9:47 PM
Vicmarc makes some good chucks. I have the VM120 and VM100. Then I found out as Dan said the Grizzly $99 chuck is a clone of the VM100 so all the jaws will fit the Grizz. I have 4 of them with different jaws but the VM120 will hold some big wood.

I have 3 grizzly chucks also they work great besides 2 of them having all the screw heads stripped out and wasting my time drilling them all out yesterday, they came stripped out very weird 1 was perfect condition other two screws gone bad. grizzly shipped me new screws the day i emailed them so its all good i would recommend them to anyone for the price.

i dont like the stronghold all that much i would have bought a bigger vicmarc instead.

John Beaver
01-06-2011, 10:24 PM
i'm with Bernie on this one. I have a Vicmarc VM100 and a bunch of grizzly clones.
I also have 2 vm120's. I keep one with standard jaws and one with larger jaws. I have never had a problem with any of them.
I have used the Oneway's and just don't like them as much. Personal preference.

Harry Robinette
01-06-2011, 11:41 PM
Allen
I'm using Nova's 2 Super's,1 super2,1 Titan and 2 original Nova's,I like the all if I was going to change I'd diffinatly go to Vicmarc or Axminster .
Just MHO.
Harry

Dan Forman
01-07-2011, 4:08 AM
I prefer the non-dovetail jaws of the Oneways, and use them almost exclusively, though I have others. The Novas are my least favorite.

Dan

Bill Blasic
01-07-2011, 6:10 AM
I have the complete line of Nova chucks and have had no problems what so ever. All the jaws fit all the chucks except for the Titan Power Grip jaws which only fit the Titan. There is a great selection of jaws including those with and without the dovetail. I prefer the dovetail and I have never lost a piece of any size because of the chucks. If I were to do it all over again Nova would still be my choice.
Bill

Michael Mills
01-07-2011, 12:29 PM
There are several good chucks; it is not only the chuck but the jaws as well. I have a G3 with the standard 50mm jaws. I put the 100mm prowergip jaws on my SN2 and they are rated (by teknatool on the SN2) for 27" diameter (platter, shallow bowl) or 19" length in spigot mode with either a 6" or 8" max diameter. I purchased the powergrips on ebay for about $40 total, so a SN2 on sale and the jaws would run about $175? I don’t know how that compares to capacity and price with other brands.

Reed Gray
01-07-2011, 1:10 PM
I have been using the Vicmarks for years, and can't see any reason to use any others. I prefer the dove tail jaws. The dove tail joint has been used in flat work forever because it gives a mechanical advantage for a locking joint. I have the larger Vicmark, and recently turned a madrone bowl that was 22 by 8 inches deep when done. I used the 5 inch jaws in a recess, and no holding problems at all. For anything I ever turned on my old PM, the standard 2 5/8 inch jaws were fine. I do use a recess.

robo hippy

Mike Peace
01-07-2011, 10:05 PM
I have the SN2 and a PM3520 and have turned some larger stuff with the Power Grip jaws and felt very comfortable. I also have the G3 with a 25mm set of jaws I use for smaller spindle stuff. I have never used the stronghold but have used the Talon several times on one of our clubs mini lathes. I don't care for it. I think it is what you get used to as long as you have the right jaws for the task.

Mike Zipparo
01-08-2011, 3:35 AM
+1 on the Vicmarc VM120. Jaws available as large as 9 inches says something of its capability.

Alan Trout
01-08-2011, 10:03 AM
Alan,

I have both several different Nova chucks as well as a stronghold. I like them both. But being you already have a G3 I would go with the SN2. With proper jaws it can go to 30". It is also a reasonably priced chuck you could almost buy two SN2's on sale for what some of the other chucks that have been mentioned sell for alone. Of course the inserts are extra. For me I can also get Nova jaws locally. My local woodcraft keeps a very good selection so if I need something I can pop in and get it. They also keep some of the Oneway stuff but not a lot. You would also be surprised how much your little G3 will do. I have turned stuff bigger than I probably should have with it and it has held very well. I am not saying to use it above its recommended limitations but I have used it to drive fairly large vessels but of course supported with a steady rest so it was not holding all of the weight of the vessel. There are times I like using a smaller chuck for clearance from the turning. Just much easier to work around.

In reality any of the chucks mentioned will do a fine job and more that serve your purpose. Just take your time chose what you think is best and have fun.

Alan.

Tony Pridmore
01-08-2011, 10:40 AM
I have 3 grizzly chucks also they work great besides 2 of them having all the screw heads stripped out and wasting my time drilling them all out yesterday, they came stripped out very weird 1 was perfect condition other two screws gone bad. grizzly shipped me new screws the day i emailed them so its all good i would recommend them to anyone for the price.

I hope you find (found) the replacement screws of better quality than the original. The screws didn't "go bad". They were bad from the start because they are made of excessively soft material. I have a Grizzly chuck sitting on the sidelines awaiting the same waste of my time. It will eventually receive new screws from a more reliable source that will be of known good quality.

Now, to keep this post on-topic, I recommend the Vicmarc because of its high quality and dovetail jaws. The Stronghold is also a quality chuck, but doesn't come with dovetail jaws.

-Tony