PDA

View Full Version : Two Cherries chisel question

David Dalzell
01-06-2011, 5:08 PM
I recieved a 1/8" Two Cheries bevel edge chisel as a Christmas present. I noticed that the face side (opposite the bevel side) has small corrogations running perpendicular to the blade. They are not large but they are both visible and cam be felt when running my fingernail over them. I am reluctant to flatten the face since it is so narrow I am afraid I might flatten it off square. Are such corrugations a problem? It seems as though it shouldn't be, but I am not sure. If it is a problem, and I have to flatten the face, can anyone recommend a method I can use to insure the face stays square to sides?

Tony Zaffuto
01-06-2011, 5:11 PM
It is difficult to flatten a chisel that narrow. I would have the giver of the present supply to you the vendor's name and then you can contact for an exchange.

Mark Baldwin III
01-06-2011, 6:10 PM
I have one of their chisels, a 1/2". The polishing that they subject the blade to probably causes some of the problem. It took a while to get a nice flat back on mine. I'm not sure if exchanging it will do you much good. That's just my limited experience though.

george wilson
01-07-2011, 12:01 AM
Clamp the chisel bottom side up in a vise. Rub a whetstone over it,holding the stone horizontal. This is easier than trying to keep the narrow chisel square when trying to hold it OVER the stone. Learn to control your strokes so your strokes do not move in circular motions from your elbows' swinging back and forth. You want your strokes to be parallel,like a machine. This can be learned,and is a valuable,and primary skill in becoming a good craftsman.