PDA

View Full Version : Been asked to engrave on Motorola CP200, need specs on material

Dan Ashlin
01-06-2011, 5:04 PM
Hey guys, I've been asked to engrave about 15 motorola CP200 radios, but i can't find any spec sheets on the material its made out of. The guy says its the same stuff they make football helmets out of, but i want to make sure its not pvc. anyone have any ideas on what its made out of, or alternately, how I can mark it permanently without having to engrave it?

Doug Griffith
01-06-2011, 5:32 PM
A quick search found this:
http://www.bendercomm.com/motorola_cp200.htm

The housing appears to be PC

Dan Ashlin
01-06-2011, 6:15 PM
Can you engrave ploycarbonate? I would think so, but I've never tried.

Doug Griffith
01-06-2011, 6:29 PM
I doubt you'll get much contrast in color and the engraved areas will be shiny unlike acrylic's matte finish.

Larry Alles
01-06-2011, 10:56 PM
Dan,

I engraved a lot of these type radios over the years. On my Epilog 24TT I used 50 speed and 50 power and made 3 passes. This cuts deep enough to fill with a
paint stick without melting the plastic. You may need to make a holding jig for these.

Dan Ashlin
01-07-2011, 7:53 AM
Dan,

I engraved a lot of these type radios over the years. On my Epilog 24TT I used 50 speed and 50 power and made 3 passes. This cuts deep enough to fill with a
paint stick without melting the plastic. You may need to make a holding jig for these.

Thanks for the info guys! On another note, what the heck is a paint stick? I've never heard that term before.