PDA

View Full Version : my first project... advice for a newbee

Scott Baer
01-06-2011, 2:04 PM
I posted this in the projects forum as well. thought i'd get more "play" over here.

I am on the cusp of really messing up our master bedroom :rolleyes: We have a "nook" that is approx 70" wide and 32" deep that I will attept to build the enclosed "built-in" in. It will be white painted poplar. the crown will transition into the crown in the bedroom. The shelves, tv cavity and small cabinets sitting on the "dresser" part will be recessed maybe 10" or so and the columns will wrap around the corners of the nook. The top will be a lighted plant shelf.

Hope that's nuff info to give some input.

thanx in advance.

I'z ascared :eek:

Lee Schierer
01-06-2011, 2:28 PM
That's a pretty ambitious project for a first project. Most folks start with a smaller less complex project. With the complexity shown you are going to want some pretty detailed drawings of how it will be built so you don't build yourself into a corner. Make sure you get your hardware up front so there aren't any surprises for the pulls, hinges and slides, shelf pins etc.

Philip Rodriquez
01-06-2011, 2:51 PM
I agree with Lee. Anyone can nail a few boards together... but good joinery, proper materials, and a good detailed plan will make it last. I know where I started from and there is no way I could have accomplished it... even if I had all of the tools I have today.

You'll need to have a plan to level everything. Second, nothing in your nook will be square. Be ready to deal with it. Dado's, screws, and glue are cheap... don't be cheap :-)

Scott Baer
01-06-2011, 3:39 PM
When you guys say "a plan" are you referring to detailed draw-up of dimentions, materials and such? If so, do you do that for all of your semi-significant projects?

I have done my share of cutting boards, wainscoating, crown, etc. never any furniture, though. I am in the process af building a shop, just got some new machines, etc. I have at least 4 big projects to tackle at home; this being the smallest. I have ability, but just enough know-how to get me in trouble. I am confident I can do it, I just want to make sure I do it right, and this is the place to make sure of that.

Reference to videos of similar projects would be awesome!

Lee Schierer
01-06-2011, 3:58 PM
I draw up dimensioned drawings for all my furniture projects and even some smaller ones so I can get proportions right and figure out how pieces are going to fit together. Even though I don't draw in the joint details as much now, it is a good idea to figure it out ahead of time and then once the project is started work off the real dimensions of the pieces and assemblies rather than the theoretical dimensions on the drawing you made.

Todd Crawford
01-06-2011, 4:08 PM
I've never drawn up a set of plans for anything I've done - Including my first "real" project - a complete set of kitchen cabinets. I'm not saying that it's not helpful, and that it doesn't help some people, but so far, I've not needed to go through that step. If you are having trouble visualizing how you are going to build it, a detailed plan my very well be a step that will make it all come together for you.

Greg Portland
01-06-2011, 6:52 PM
I've never drawn up a set of plans for anything I've done - Including my first "real" project - a complete set of kitchen cabinets. I'm not saying that it's not helpful, and that it doesn't help some people, but so far, I've not needed to go through that step. If you are having trouble visualizing how you are going to build it, a detailed plan my very well be a step that will make it all come together for you.
So you didn't even write down some measurements of your kitchen or calculate how many cabinets you'd need (and their sizes)?

+1 to Lee's comment. Paper & pencil (or Sketchup) is cheaper than wood.

Todd Crawford
01-09-2011, 8:10 PM
Oh - sure. I sketch up almost everything. Just don't do what I would consider plans. No details, cut lists, etc. And like I said, it might not work for everyone and I'm not saying its the right way, just what has worked for me.

Don Jarvie
01-09-2011, 8:36 PM
Not seeing the opening I can say how I would approach it.

First I would make the base cabinet including draws and set that in. 2nd would be to make the top of the base cabinet since the top piece rests on it. 3rd, make the top piece with inserts and install that.

Then put on the outer decorative pieces.

Its going to look great when its done.