PDA

View Full Version : New Shop Fox Mini Lathe - Chuck Suggestions

Brent Ring
01-06-2011, 1:44 PM
Hi All,

Having recently acquired a Shopfox W1752, my tumble into the vortex may have begun.

I want to be able to turn Shaker style knobs for the flatwork I do, tool handles, Mallets, marking knives, and I am sure a bowl or two will come out sometime. The W1752 has a headstock taper of MT #1, 1" x 8TPI and a 4 hole plate that screws on at the headstock.

I would like to find a suggestion/recommendation for a multipurpose chuck to turn those kinds of items. Sorry for being such a newb.

Does anyone have a recommendations or suggestions? Also any basic turning advices, book recommendations, etc are very, very welcome!

T Boyer
01-10-2011, 2:03 PM
I have the same lathe but with the extended bed 33" for $300.00 total.
For the chuck I purchased:

Utility Grip 4 Jaw Chrome Lathe Chuck System: includes 2 jaws and FREE 8 Jumbo Flat Jaw Item #: CUG3418CCX
For $89.00.

I purchased:
5/8" dia Super Spur Center Insert

Item #: LCENTQC58
So I would not have to remove the chuck if I wanted to turn centers.

I also ordered a tail stock drill with taper so I could drill out the centers if making handles for about $20.00.

Played around with it some. Works great so far. Would of preferred the:
Barracuda2 Lathe Key Chuck System

Item #: CSC3000C
But it was way over my price range. The chuck works great. Hope these suggestions help.

I am busy making my stand so have not been able to play with it further. So far I have turned some spindles and one cup.

John Fabre
01-10-2011, 4:17 PM
Brent, get the black Friday Nova Midi chuck at Woodcraft in Boise ID. for $125.00, it comes with SIX jaw sets. They will ship to Utah for $12.99 and no tax, call 1-800-225-1153 and ask for the Boise store. It will bolt right on without an adapter. You can always sell off the jaw sets that you will never use.

Jim Burr
01-10-2011, 7:22 PM
Congratz Brent!!! There have been several million post regarding chucks that are filled with everything you'll need!!! Good luck!