PDA

View Full Version : Engraving Knives for the first time...

Tim Neal
01-06-2011, 1:28 PM
I have a friend who belongs to a knife club. He and the members of his club want me to do some simple engraings on he blades of their various knives. I have not attempting metal engraving, but I know you can't do it with a CO2 laser without chemical assistance. My question is what's the best product to use for this task, and where can I get a good price on it. Thanks.

Tim

Dan Hintz
01-06-2011, 3:07 PM
To engrave the actual metal you need a fiber laser. If you must use a CO2 laser, you can using a marking compound such as Cermark.

Tim Neal
01-06-2011, 5:26 PM
To engrave the actual metal you need a fiber laser. If you must use a CO2 laser, you can using a marking compound such as Cermark.

Yep..I know you need assistance with a CO2 laser. So my additional questions for anyone...So is Cermark the best product to use? Where's the most cost effective place to buy it? Are there more cost effective solutions? Thanks in advance...any suggestions would be appreciated.

Tim

Tom Bull
01-06-2011, 7:27 PM
I have engraved a knife that had some kind of black finish on the blade by removing that coating. Looked real nice when done.

Anthony Scira
01-06-2011, 9:28 PM
You will no doubt have sticker shock when you see the price. But it is really cost effective. When you dilute 10:1 Denatured Alcohol to Cermark it goes a long way ! Ask your laser rep, some of them stock it and you may be able to save on the Hazmat shipping if you buy it local.

Bjorn storoien
01-07-2011, 4:24 AM
You can recycle the Cermark !

if you buy a spray can and wash it of into a box and let it settle to get rid of the water ( i use a sprayflask with water to wash it of )
you will be able to recycle a lot . just remeber to keep a lid on the box and avoid contamination

use alcohole to thin it when u want to use it again

when i have large jobs on steel mugs etc i recycle the cermark and use it on knives and smaller objects

Bjorn