PDA

View Full Version : Irwin parallel clamps?

Scott Flamm
01-06-2011, 12:49 PM
I am just starting out in woodworking and wanted to pick up some parallel clamps for some projects. I noticed that Rockler has a sale this month on some Irwin parallel clamps (two 48" & two 24" for $99). Does anyone have any experience with them? I read the FWW article that included them but I wanted to get some first hand info. How do they compare to Bessey/Jet/Jorgeson?

Matt Schuman
01-06-2011, 2:21 PM
I bought the same set from Rockler last winter. I also have many of the Jorgenson parallel clamps and none of the Jet or Besseys. I like the Jorgenson a whole lot better than the Irwin's. The big maple handles and the coarser threads of the Jorgies are nice. The threads on the Irwins are much finer and require a lot more twisting to clamp/unclamp. I made a 3' wide x 10' long countertop out of laminated 4/4 maple and spent quality time working my forearms opening and closing clamps.

Mike Nguyen
01-06-2011, 2:40 PM
Hi Scott
I have the 24" and 48" from Irwin. They are great but like Matt said, they required more twisting. I have Jet, Bessey Revo, Jorgenson, and Irwin parallel clamps and I like Jet and Bessey are better. Also Irwin clamps are a lot heavier so when you clamp something like a table top that requires about 20 clamps, you will want to go with the lighter clamps if you need to move the table top while waiting for the glue to dry.
I would go with the Woodcraft parallel clamps since they are basically the same as the older Bessey for the same price + 4 clamps blocks.
Mike

Scott Flamm
01-06-2011, 3:28 PM
Thanks for the info, does it matter if I use different brands of clamps during a glue-up or should I try to stick with a single brand?

Kevin Gregoire
01-06-2011, 3:44 PM
woodcraft has some clamps on sale for $99 also but i dont know how different they are over the rockler clamps?

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2005903/30188/Woodcraft-Parallel-Clamp-Set.aspx?refcode=11IN01NL

http://www.woodcraft.com/Images/products/147258P_400.jpg

Prashun Patel
01-06-2011, 4:11 PM
The only downside I've experienced with using different brands is that it makes it more challenging to lay them all flat in the same plane. But this can be overcome.