PDA

View Full Version : First Turning and a Morse Taper/Jacobs Chuck Question

Brent Ring
01-06-2011, 12:12 PM
All,

Ok, I did it. I purchased a Shop Fox W1752 for small projects. I am sure I will hit a slope eventually that will be financially painful. And darned if it isn't a bit fun too!
176603 I am not sure what it is yet. It has started with the intention of being a carvers mallet, for light chisel use. My wife thinks it is could be a great personal protection device :eek:. Suggestions welcome!

In any case it was fun!

I want to be able to turn Shaker style knobs, and other pieces. The W1752 has a headstock taper of MT #1, and I would like to find a suggestion/recommendation for a Jacobs chuck w/taper pin to turn those kinds of items.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a Jacobs chuck for this lathe? Also any basic turning advices, book recommendations, etc are very, very welcome!

Lee Koepke
01-06-2011, 12:41 PM
I have one very similar ...keep it in my truck. Its solid oak and would be very effective as a personal protection device!

It was intended to be some sort of 'masher' that goes with a co-workers dough-bowl, but being my first ever turning, it got 'repurposed'.

I am only a few months in this huge vortex, impossible to escape .... trust me.

David DeCristoforo
01-06-2011, 1:33 PM
It's a "bonker". What you bonk with it is up to you. It might depend on the needs of the moment.

Roger Chandler
01-06-2011, 2:08 PM
Every turner has to make an obligatory "bonker" in the beginning of their turning life.............now you have yours behind you! It is part of the learning process...............nice one, by the way!

bob svoboda
01-06-2011, 2:21 PM
Yep, a bonker for sure. Also a portal into the abyss. Lots of videos of basic turning on U Tube. I would also recommend the book I started with - "Woodturning: A Foundation Course" by Keith Rowley.

Art Kelly
01-06-2011, 2:21 PM
... I want to be able to turn Shaker style knobs, and other pieces. The W1752 has a headstock taper of MT #1, and I would like to find a suggestion/recommendation for a Jacobs chuck w/taper pin to turn those kinds of items.

I'm not real sure if they have MT1 or not, but check www.littlemachineshop.com (http://www.littlemachineshop.com) They have a pretty good array of arbors and Jacobs chucks.

I have a collection of Jacobs chucks, and the cheap ones all have quite a bit of runout. No biggie for boring out vases, etc., but you need at least one $$ chuck for small things. Like knobs.

Art

Nice company to deal with. (No affiliation.)

John Keeton
01-06-2011, 3:23 PM
Congrats on the lathe and the bonker!! I have been pleased with PSI accessories, though I have never used my Jacob's chuck as a drive chuck, so I don't know if it is true enough for that.

Harry Robinette
01-07-2011, 12:18 AM
Brent
Woodcraft sells #1 m taper drill chucks for lathes they have 1/4x20 threads in the back.you put a piece of all thread through the head stock and a knob on the end ,this well pull the morris taper into the head stock so the chuck can't come out.It's called a draw bar,a must have for safety
Harry.