PDA

View Full Version : Black Cherry Bowl

Doug W Swanson
01-06-2011, 12:36 AM
Hey all,

Here is a Black Cherry bowl that I made a few weeks ago. I ended up putting it in the turning swap for our local club's Holiday Party. I'm not sure what the recipient thought. He was sort of indifferent about receiving it.:confused:

Considering I've only done about a dozen bowls I thought it turned out pretty nice.

The bowl is about 8"x3" with about 4 coats of walnut oil.

I received a nice Olivewood pen and pencil set in return....

Tim Thiebaut
01-06-2011, 12:50 AM
Honestly if the person that recieved that was indifferent and didnt really care then he dosnt deserve it, that is a beautiful bowl, anyone should be honored to receive a gift like that from someone that took their time to create it.

David Reed
01-06-2011, 1:49 AM
Must agree with Tim - I like the shape and the way you centered the piece in the log and the sap wood symmetry.

John Keeton
01-06-2011, 5:58 AM
Doug, I think you did a fine job on this one!! Very nice piece of wood, and good form. What more could the other person have wanted? The only thing I see would be that you "barely" got rid of the pith, but it certainly doesn't look like it is causing a problem, and actually gives the bowl some additional character.

Greg Just
01-06-2011, 6:59 AM
Doug:

I think it is a nice bowl and wish you had picked my name in the raffle. Keep on Turning!

Greg

Fred Perreault
01-06-2011, 7:11 AM
Doug,

Some people will see an older slant top curly maple secretary with worn edges and chafed drawer fronts and dismiss it immediately..... others will stand in line to pay a premium for the warm character and rich patina.
....there is no accounting for taste :)

Steve Schlumpf
01-06-2011, 7:25 AM
Doug - you did good! Nice bowl - wood and form! Also - as nice as your bowl looks now - it is going to become even better looking in just a few years as it deepens in color! You should be happy with the way this one turned out!

steven carter
01-06-2011, 8:52 AM
Doug,

Whoever recieved this bowl should be a happy camper! It looks to me like you could have made dozens of bowls up to this one. Don't let someone else's reaction dull your sense of accomplishment, it is a fine looking bowl, and as stated before since it is cherry it will become even more impressive with time.

bob svoboda
01-06-2011, 8:58 AM
Very nice bowl with great grain orientation. Hard to believe that someone who works with wood could be indifferent about it. If that person happens to read this he can PM for my address to send it to.

Jim Burr
01-06-2011, 9:32 AM
Nice job Doug. It does feel awkward sometimes when you put your heart into something only to receive ambivalence in return. Kinda takes the fun out of future effort.

Faust M. Ruggiero
01-06-2011, 9:46 AM
Hey Doug,
That is the recipient's problem not yours. If he doesn't realize the effort, too bad for him.
faust

charlie knighton
01-06-2011, 10:05 AM
very nice....

Doug W Swanson
01-06-2011, 10:13 AM
Thanks for the kind words....

I think it turned out great. I should have kept it for myself but since there are many experienced turner's in our club, I wanted it to be extra nice.

I do have one more piece of the Black Cherry so maybe I'll make another one and keep it for my own!

Ron Stadler
01-06-2011, 10:15 AM
Maybe he's allergic to cherries, looks good to me.

Bernie Weishapl
01-06-2011, 10:31 AM
Great looking bowl and I do like the form Doug. Doesn't sound like he appreciates the effort and a nice bowl.

Greg Ketell
01-06-2011, 10:32 AM
That is a pretty need bowl. I like the shape and the coloring is really unique! Looks like a puzzle piece and we are just not seeing the pieces that are clipped in.

Rob Cunningham
01-06-2011, 1:19 PM
That's a very nice bowl. Great shape and good job centering the grain pattern.

Carol Kinney
01-06-2011, 3:12 PM
That looks fantastic Doug, for only doing a dozon or so bowls before this you are well on your way. Everything looks wonderful!

James Combs
01-06-2011, 4:08 PM
Hey Doug,
That is the recipient's problem not yours. If he doesn't realize the effort, too bad for him.
faust

Ditto what Faust says. And I love it. The symmetry of the sapwood-heartwood-sapwood is near perfect and Cherry is one of my favorites.

Don Alexander
01-06-2011, 6:29 PM
ungrateful gift recipients earn a spot in my "people not worth worrying about" mental list

if he doesn't want the bowl i bet there are lots of people who would its a very nice bowl and that piece cherry is pretty wood

Michael James
01-06-2011, 7:07 PM
Looks like a nice bowl to me! I guess all I can say is when you put it "out there", whether in the real world or cyberworld, you're best off just letting it go, and take what you get in return in stride. People will display their character and manners anyway. :cool:

Christopher K. Hartley
01-06-2011, 8:04 PM
Doug, this is a beautiful bowl with lots of wood color and great form. I like the rim flair treatment. Keep up the good work.:)

Jeff Nicol
01-06-2011, 8:12 PM
Doug, Did the pen set come from the same guy who got your bowl? Or was it just a drawing for the pieces that were put in the swap? I wonder if there is another turner in your club that has a bigger reputation or something and the guy wanted the best (IN HIS MIND) There are some people who are never satified with anything and like to look down on others just for the sake of doing so. Anyone should have been very proud to recieve a very nice bowl made with your heart and soul put into it, and as has been said it will age and the beauty will grow and I hope he grows a brain and keeps it in his collection. For one day you could be famous and if he gor some stupid reason go rid of it, his lose will be great! I like to think positve and dream big!!!

Great job and keep on spinning wood,

Jeff

Rich Aldrich
01-06-2011, 9:26 PM
Doug - I really like the form of this bowl and the contrast of the heart wood and sap wood. Cherry is very nice to work with as long as it doesnt crack. So far, I have had very good luck with a 24 hour soak in DNA regardless of wall thickness.

David E Keller
01-06-2011, 10:41 PM
I think you've done a great job. She's got nice curves, and the grain pattern is wonderful. I would have been pleased to receive such a nice looking turning.

Baxter Smith
01-06-2011, 11:03 PM
Nice curves and the sapwood/heartwood pattern makes it out of the ordinary. Well done!

Doug W Swanson
01-07-2011, 4:51 PM
Looks like a puzzle piece and we are just not seeing the pieces that are clipped in.

I had never thought of that but now that you mention it, I can see the resemblance!

Doug, Did the pen set come from the same guy who got your bowl? Or was it just a drawing for the pieces that were put in the swap? I wonder if there is another turner in your club that has a bigger reputation or something and the guy wanted the best (IN HIS MIND) There are some people who are never satified with anything and like to look down on others just for the sake of doing so.
Jeff

Jeff, I received the pen set from someone else. Basically you draw a name out of hat and that's who receives your gift. They they draw a name for their gift, etc. I don't really know the person who received my bowl but maybe I'm not a big enough name!

I really do think the bowl turned out nice and I did work hard at it because I wanted it to be special!

Thanks again for the complements.