PDA

View Full Version : nice setup tool

Michael MacDonald
01-06-2011, 12:15 AM
I was getting pretty frustrated the last two days with my jointer. trying to do a glue up of some 5/4 cherry, and kept jointing rocking chair feet out of the edges... I had ordered the muti-gauge from oneway manufacturing a while ago, but it was delayed for the holidays... it arrived just in time to keep me from smoking my jointer. (he he).

pretty nice tool. I found that two blades were pretty consistent--parallel and same height, but one blade was a bit high. That helped get rid of the choppiness I was seeing in my results... just using a 12" rule was not getting the job done. Then after a few more false starts, I decided to take the blades down to exact same height as the outfeed table (I was 1/1000 over). actually, I just moved the table.

I had heard that the blades should be just above the outfeed height, but making them equal seemed to be the fix for my problem. nice clean kiss between boards for my glue up now.

anyone else like this tool? or build a shop-made version for measuring jointer blade height? What I really like is that I can slide it across the table to see how the blade height changes from side to side. better feedback than listening for the blade to scratch a ruler as it hits top of the arc.

Kent A Bathurst
01-06-2011, 9:22 AM
Got one years ago for setting planer blades, and setting/shimming jointer cutterhead [I have a quick-change Terminus, so blades automatically set in head]. At the same time, also got a Starrett 48" straightedge for setting planer bed rollers and jointer tables.

Made all the difference. The oneway was a great investment for me.

Philip Rodriquez
01-06-2011, 10:13 AM
Yep, I've had one for a few years. I absolutely love it!

Rob Vicelli
01-06-2011, 12:16 PM
Looks like a great tool, I will keep it in mind. I have a set of joiner blades sitting waiting to be installed!!

Mike Zilis
01-06-2011, 7:20 PM
I bought one with my Jet JJP-12 for exactly the use you describe. I've tried several other methods for setting blade height (straight edge and magnets) and this has been the best by far. The only trouble I still have is that the blades tend to creep up 2 thousandths as I tighten them up.

Peter Quinn
01-06-2011, 7:35 PM
I have one, I don't remember buying it frankly, one day I looked on a shelf and there it was. I'm sure I bough it early on as part of some tool purchasing spree, not knowing exactly what it was for. Anyway, I love it for lots of things. Since the Byrd head went on the jointer, thats pretty much not a issue any more, but it has other uses. Last night I was setting up a sliding tale on my shaper, and wanted the slider a few thousands above the main table for smooth travel. Tough to measure any other way as accurately.

Chris Parks
01-06-2011, 9:01 PM
To stop the blades creeping when tightened machine the ends of the bolts flat, the blades will not move after that. It is so obvious but no one does it, if the bolt contacts fully the blade has no where to go. If it contacts on one point it will get pulled using that point as the bolt is turned.

Tom Hintz
01-07-2011, 3:33 AM
I have been using the Oneway Multi-Gauge for years and also love it. I nearly passed on this for a tool review but am very glad we did it. It looks so simple yet provides super accurate readings that many have found to make life easier around machines like the jointer, setting insert plates and much more. See the link below for my original review from years ago. That page is still very popular today!

Oneway Multi-Gauge Review (http://www.newwoodworker.com/reviews/multigagervu.html)